Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Witte Museum Boot n Scoot 5K (Read 23 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO AND SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them

This was Race number 25 for me for the year 2015.   Held on May 16, 2015 and hosted by San Antonio's Witte Museum - www.wittemuseum.org   This event helped raise funds to support school kids field trips to the museum.  A kids run before the 5K and then the 5K started at 8:30 a.m.  San Antonio had a BLAST of rain for just about all day Friday before the race. Saturday was very cloudy and humid, 75 degrees at race start time, but the it did stay dry for us. 182 finishers, 87 male, 95 female.  This was actually a pretty nice turn-out considering there were about 6 other events this same day in the San Antonio - New Braunfels area. Local area race company AthleteGuild - www.athleteguild.com - did their usual great job of course set up, timing, results print-out, etc.   I ended up with a finish time of 32:34.  No age group awards, as this was pretty much a 'fun run' but all finishers got medals and the top male  and female finisher did get an award.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

C'est moi!  Your host for this report

photo 016_zpsv7bq6e1k.jpg

I live pretty close to the Witte and so it did not take me long to arrive on race site.  The Witte Museum is located in Brackenridge Park, a very nice local park that includes running trails, baseball fields, the San Antonio Zoo, a little tourist train, Japanese Tea Gardens, and

Sunken Garden where a lot of various events are held.   Part of the San Antonio River flows through the park and adjacent to the museum. The Witte Museum features scientific and historical exhibits, interactive exhibits for the kids, and its unique "Treehouse".

photo 008_zpstfde8s0o.jpg

photo 022_zpshdp7dbpf.jpg

photo 023_zpsir9nstnm.jpg

photo 024_zpslqynpgqu.jpg

photo 026_zpsdu17gyhz.jpg

photo 047_zpsiddnvfqp.jpg

photo 059_zpsokkfkfzr.jpg

photo 060_zpscnosmjwr.jpg

photo 061_zpshphohtya.jpg

Some of the volunteers who were out there for us, and some of the participants and their supporters, pre-start.

photo 001_zps6c0a3up1.jpg

photo 002_zpsjfltfkfh.jpg

photo 003_zpsqwntpey1.jpg

photo 004_zpspthsztrr.jpg

photo 005_zps8oqxe2pf.jpg

photo 006_zpshoqbbwyf.jpg

photo 007_zpscvqbij9m.jpg

photo 009_zpstj6rg8e7.jpg

photo 012_zpsnoytbqvw.jpg

photo 013_zps5rczs4xt.jpg

photo 015_zps8jscsi1t.jpg

photo 018_zpsxr0r56zv.jpg

photo 019_zpsuh8t6ljs.jpg

photo 020_zpsucqjqklr.jpg

My friend, Phil

photo 021_zpsc9fpmor2.jpg

Me and one of my favorite people, Sally Rios

photo 025_zps7oubzzgm.jpg

Two of my favorite people....Sherri of AthleteGuild and Sally...and then there's Phil...    Phil is a good guy and a good friend and I enjoy joking around with him.

photo 027_zpssyzd6fpk.jpg

photo 028_zpscgpinjpd.jpg

photo 029_zpsqtin1clv.jpg

photo 030_zps6janhs2i.jpg

On the Course

We started by the Witte and then our route took us along paved park roads and the off-road trails. There were a couple of long out-and-backs, so just about everyone got a pretty good look at everyone else, as everyone 'coming-and-going' passed by each other on their way to the respective turn-around points.   I thought it quite funny that I twice saw  Jerome - the guy who was first overall male - once after he made the first turn-around and was already heading back to the finish; and then when I did had about a half-mile to go, he was coming towards me again, this time doing his cool-down run.  That guy is speedy!  He finished in 17:59:59.   Our race MC jokingly said "That guy did NOT want to finish after 18 minutes!"  lol.

photo 031_zpsrw1rouch.jpg

photo 032_zpsll62lcmt.jpg

photo 033_zpsnktxuddh.jpg

photo 034_zps5vajfkcc.jpg

photo 035_zpsqol8y8nm.jpg

photo 036_zpszqrqjt97.jpg

photo 037_zpsn90xbrfu.jpg

photo 038_zpsrqmnb7vv.jpg

photo 039_zps5nd5pt4i.jpg

photo 040_zps0log2dqn.jpg

photo 041_zpsep7odwkn.jpg

After the Finish

Some of the many "Happy Finishers" and supporters, race volunteers, etc.

photo 042_zpstpk1loli.jpg

Displaying the finisher medal every finisher got

photo 043_zpsxckf55wn.jpg

photo 044_zpsx16tocdr.jpg

photo 045_zps9wokm0qx.jpg

Our MC calling in the finishers

photo 046_zpsza9ymkew.jpg

photo 048_zpsqeokrjae.jpg

photo 055_zps7yqatzu2.jpg

photo 056_zpspxlh6gzz.jpg

photo 062_zpsjsxrf7wy.jpg

photo 063_zpsjzudisw3.jpg

photo 064_zpskhrvrlrm.jpg

photo 065_zpsnjplnkuc.jpg

photo 067_zpsv0ywyxv4.jpg

photo 066_zps53lv6g6x.jpg

photo 068_zpszllf2jzz.jpg

photo 069_zpsehrrovks.jpg

photo 077_zpslyjsbeml.jpg

photo 079_zpstgbcsnny.jpg

Speedy Jerome, the overall winner, is in the yellow shirt.  My friend Ceci will be glad to see her Hurache Turbo shirts were represented at this event.

photo 078_zpsh6mlcy73.jpg

Enjoying some of the many post-race goodies  (no beer though...bummer..oh, well, I guess I can live with one of my races not having post-race beer...   )

photo 049_zpssvbpyj3n.jpg

photo 058_zpsmasyfpmn.jpg

photo 050_zpsxmjivcwj.jpg

photo 051_zpso7csxh1m.jpg

photo 052_zps5n1bas5l.jpg

Some photo 053_zpswtdsvajo.jpg

kind of fruit cup thing...

photo 054_zpso58ozfrh.jpg

Although there were no age-group awards, there were 'style awards" for the kids out there who were really "doing their thing" and encouraging others and so forth;  these were the Style Awards....getting ready to be presented by Lauren, a super-nice lady who was the organizer for the 5K today

photo 070_zpsbhxfs34j.jpg

....and the winners....including two adults who, if I remember correctly, coach the kids.  I chatted with them briefly when I took their photo before....very nice people!

photo 071_zpskhdwfric.jpg

photo 072_zpskkxjcd5h.jpg

photo 073_zpsslg3eeia.jpg

photo 074_zps2oxmkpub.jpg

photo 076_zpsclua57d2.jpg

EPILOG

This is one really fun event and supports a really good cause.  Brackenridge Park and surrounding area has been undergoing many renovations, so laying out a course in the park can sometimes be a challenge; but AthleteGuild came through and for what they had to work with, the course was well-thought out.  Plenty of room for everyone to maneuver, plenty of opportunities to see and encourage running friends and family along the way, and a water-stop you passed twice - which was nice on a very humid day!  Plus, I love the Witte, it is a really great museum, with lots of exhibits that are changing quite a bit.  The Witte always seems to be adding stuff and getting better and better every year.  I grew up in the Washington DC area and so the Smithsonian was my childhood museum.  Well, the Witt is not QUITE that big yet, but it's definitely well worth a visit if you live in or visit the San Antonio area.   Another nice touch, if I remember correctly - then again, I'm getting old - 427 in dog years! -  and my memory ain't what it used to be  - is that participants got museum entry on race day with their bib number, nice.  If not previously committed to another event on the day, this is one race I usually try to do each year.  See you there next year! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a lovely place to run, especially on a hot spring day.  Nice that they had such a good turnout, with all the competition.

LRB

C'est moi!  Your host for this report

photo 016_zpsv7bq6e1k.jpg

Nice socks!

That looks like a cool place to visit!

Zelanie

Wow, that looks like such a lovely place to run, and it's cool that it supports the museum too!  Nice color coordination, by the way!

The style awards were a nice touch, too!