Beginners and Beyond

Why do sports scandals bother us? (Read 140 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

For the very same reason we pay the elites in professional sports 10's of millions (now hundreds of millions?) of dollars to play their respective game/sport.

Think about that one hard and it'll drive you crazy.

Why do we pay them so much money?

Better yet......why are we paying the kardashians so much money?  (if that one doesn't drive you crazy, nothing will)

But your answers lie within.  And there may be more than one.

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I don't concern myself with what other people earn.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Better I Leave

I see where many folks are coming from now, and I have to agree. To use Lance Armstrong as the example, I was focused on the fact that he used PEDs and I discounted the behavior. That was mostly in part due to the fact that although I knew he used PEDs, I wasn't really following who he was suing and whatnot.

And I suppose one can make the argument that many of these athletes are "role models" for our children, yes? Lance Armstrong should have fessed up ages ago and owned it. Perhaps had he done then, the outcry wouldn't have been so bad. The fact that he covered it up and threatened people with legal action is reprehensible.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

I don't get it. If it's common it shouldn't bother anyone? It's simple, people care about the sports scandals because:

1. People in general care about sports. In some cases at a deep emotional level. Should they? That's a separate topic. But they do.

2. People in general love drama

3. People in general love to see someone fall from a very high pedestal, even if they are the ones that put the athlete there in the first place.

Human nature is a cruel and fickle beast.

notimeforthat

I don't concern myself with what other people earn.

I have enough to worry about in my own life to concern myself with someone else's salary. My husband and I race bikes, so we pay attention to cycling. It has always been there, the PED use, and my guess is that you will still hear about people that are caught if you follow cycling because the Europeans always have at least 1 guy that fails a test. He may not be a household name like Armstrong was, but it will happen.

Again, it is about the nature of human beings that fascinates me more than anything in these cases.

Did lance really have a conscience and start livestrong because he knew he was a cheater and liar and screwed over many people?

I could care less about those sports scandals.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

notimeforthat

Did lance really have a conscience and start livestrong because he knew he was a cheater and liar and screwed over many people?

I could care less about those sports scandals.

You COULDN'T care less.

You have to remember that to him, at the time (per his own words), he did not consider it cheating because of the prevalence of PEDs in cycling. He considered it a leveling of the playing field. So when he started Livestrong, he had not yet encountered a lot of the lawsuits, etc. That foundation was started earlier on in his career after his cancer battle.

RSX

I couldn't care less either (if I used it correctly). I just don't expect anyone to be perfect. I am more likely to joke about someone being caught than be disappointed. I think these stories feed the tabloid need for sports fans.