Beginners and Beyond

How do you fuel/hydrate during your long runs? (Read 134 times)

msmrow

I try to take in some kind of drink during training or races if I will be running longer than 45 minutes.  Then, something every 20 minutes.

For the marathon especially, you want to consume both long-burning sugar (most gels- GU) and fast burning (Gatorade, sport beans, shot blocks).  Especially at the 20 mile mark, a lot of people will hit the wall because they don't consume fast-burning sugar and waited too long to take that last gu.  I drank both Gatorade and water during my marathon, ate GU gels and chomps, and didn't hit the wall.  I have heard from several others that it's because the variety of types of sugars is better for efforts of 4-5 hours than just one type.  Your stomache may be sensitive to all the sugar, so I would try it in training.

I have friends, and it looks like there are lots on this board, who don't drink or eat during long runs.  For me, that wouldn't work!

I really like the stinger chews, shot blocks, and GU gels (not fruit flavors).  But, you can pick up a variety and try a lot to see what you like the best and if anything doesn't sit well on your stomache.

xor

I'm curious why your categorize gels differently from chews/bloks... they seem to work exactly the same for me (except I can't eat chews when I am moving at marathon pace or faster... ultras only).

msmrow

chews have simple sugar in them, it spikes quickly after you eat them and then drops off fast.  GU has a slow burning base- maltodextrin, I think - it takes longer for your body to put it to work- 30-45 minutes- and then fades more slowly.

The idea is that most people wait to take a GU when they really need a boost, but they're not going to get it for a while, hence the crash.  If you want to use only GUs, seems like you have to be disciplined to take them a good bit in advance of when you'll need the energy boost.  A lot of people do take a GU before a race starts, applying this principle.

I'm certainly not a nutritional expert, but when someone explained this to me it made a lot of sense.  Since it works/worked for me, I don't want to question it too much!

xor

Hmm.  I don't know about that.  While both gu chomps and clif shot bloks have simple sugars in them, gu chomps also contain maltodextrin.  In not-small amounts.  shot bloks utilize something else (unless they've changed them; they have changed the gels)... but the bottom line is that they are about half simple sugar and about half more complex carb-y goodness.

The main difference between gel and chews is form factor.  Once they mix with water in your stomach, they are essentially the same thing.

Well, except that every make and model of gel and chew is different.  Which is why it pays to always read the labels... even for flavor x versus flavor y.  I learned the hard way what "turbo" means when it comes to clif shots (gels).  It means way way too much caffeine for me.

No more marathons

Let me just say how delighted I am to see Mr Lopez contributing again.   

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

notimeforthat

I will almost always bring water on a run when it is a training run that is over 5 miles. I get thirsty. Water works just fine.

I will train with Nuun if it is a longer effort on the bike or run, no calories but fluids and electrolytes.

I tend to not be able to drink much during the day when I see patients, so for me, it helps to have water on a run/ride/swim.

I will drop 2 lbs taking in 22 oz on any exercise effort, more if it is hot out. I sweat in cold weather and in the pool, so I replace that as needed when I am training.

For races, I drink on the bike, I will eat a couple of Honey Stinger chews for an oly. distance race (bonk breaker bar before the swim). I typically will carry one of my bottles on the run. Especially since we are in the humid SE and most tris are in the summer. I use EFS for that. It is the only drink I will carry. Period.

msmrow

Hmmm yeah that is true.  And i can't seem to find any information on the internet to back up my claim.  Rats.

But I'll keep with what works for me, though!

slowrunningjulie

The main difference between gel and chews is form factor.  Once they mix with water in your stomach, they are essentially the same thing.

Well, except that every make and model of gel and chew is different.  Which is why it pays to always read the labels... even for flavor x versus flavor y.  I learned the hard way what "turbo" means when it comes to clif shots (gels).  It means way way too much caffeine for me.

This is true. I tried some kind of chew once and in addition to suffering the shame and embarrassment of realizing that I was not coordinated enough to run and chew at the same time, the chews did nothing for me. Then I realized that this most likely was because there was caffeine in my gels but not the chews. So the boost that I was really getting from the gels most likely comes from the caffeine. Which is just fine with me - caffeine gets me through my work day, so why not my run?

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon