Beginners and Beyond

Taking Tuesday by the horns, Penguins (Read 27 times)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' all...  work and DS's track meet after work is about the on things I have time for today.  Depending on when he gets done I could try to sneak in a few miles.  We shall see.  I need to reevaluate my approach to what time I run at least until school is out for summer.  Waiting to run until after work is posing issues.  Getting up at 3am doesn't sound very exciting.  LOL

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Ended up with 9.66 yesterday, including 2.66 with hubby run/walking.  He now owns a third pair of shoes.  She sure is taking this seriously.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

Vance, Morning... getting up at 3am is tough for me too..

Damaris, Good job on getting DH onboard... Will he be a MM too?

9M with 5 @ tempo (8:30).. Still losing speed.. Legs felt fine but breathing is a bit labour... So happy when 5M is up...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

Good morning Penguins

Vance -- Eh, getting up at 3 am definitely doesn't sound appealing.  I'd rather skip dinner and run at night.

DR -- I missed something.  Is your hubby starting to run?  Woo hoo!

AFM -- Even though my legs didn't feel too bad, I took an RD yesterday.  I had errands and such to catch up with and figured it wouldn't hurt.  I'll go out  this afternoon for 3-5, depending on how I feel.  I got good news yesterday; Wednesday is my last day of PT for my frozen shoulder.  My mobility is about 90% back and the rest will probably come slowly with time.  I will have to start building back my upper-body strength; four months of being unable to lift my arm has taken its toll.

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  On the road again for work today, catch you later.  I guess Mr. Rocket can no longer get a 0.0 sticker for his car!

fitfatboy

More cowbell!

Morning y'all.  Got the scheduled easy 5 in yesterday.  But holy crap on a cracker!  Dem der legs o mine just did not want to move.  It felt really good to finish that one.  SRD today.  Have a late meeting tonight.

Vance--Coached HS track for 3 years.  Could never find time during the season to get my work in.

Damaris--Nice being able to run with DH.  My wife has had 5 knee surgeries, so running together is something we will never get to share.  But we do get to ride together.

Bin--Good work.  Keep after it.  I'd always rather have to have the cardio catch up with the legs.

Phillie--That's great news re: your shoulder.

STILL HAVING FUN!!!

Docket_Rocket

Ha!  I doubt it.

Vance, Morning... getting up at 3am is tough for me too..

Damaris, Good job on getting DH onboard... Will he be a MM too?

9M with 5 @ tempo (8:30).. Still losing speed.. Legs felt fine but breathing is a bit labour... So happy when 5M is up...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

good morning friends

fitfatboy- way to go on those 5. I bet the rest will have you rocking right along again in 2 days.

Z- be careful out there on the roads. Are you on a field trip or some sort of professional development?

Phillie- thats great news about the arm.

Bin- that workout would hurt me Smile keep up the good work.

Damaris- I am glad you can share your love of running and shoes with the Dude. Thats good stuff. Maybe someday that will lead to lil running rockets sweating their asses off in miami.

N-Bug neither of those running options sound great. Have fun at the track meet.

AFM- did 3 miles this AM on the ol dreadmill. The weather was horrible yesterday. We had about 4 or 5 different tornado warnings. Pretty much from 1:30- 9:00 there were storms in our area.

make today great

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Shudder, not likely.

good morning friends

fitfatboy- way to go on those 5. I bet the rest will have you rocking right along again in 2 days.

Z- be careful out there on the roads. Are you on a field trip or some sort of professional development?

Phillie- thats great news about the arm.

Bin- that workout would hurt me Smile keep up the good work.

Damaris- I am glad you can share your love of running and shoes with the Dude. Thats good stuff. Maybe someday that will lead to lil running rockets sweating their asses off in miami.

N-Bug neither of those running options sound great. Have fun at the track meet.

AFM- did 3 miles this AM on the ol dreadmill. The weather was horrible yesterday. We had about 4 or 5 different tornado warnings. Pretty much from 1:30- 9:00 there were storms in our area.

make today great

Damaris

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Exhausted, feeling crappy. I overslept an hour and a  half today and missed my run. This has happened a few times in the last few weeks. I hate being a morning runner sometimes.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Shudder, not likely.

lol- maybe one of those nights after too many martinis - you never know.

I joke about some of the kids at my old school coming from a bad night of cheap gin.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

delicate flower

I accidentally clicked the Penguins instead of the Dailies.  I thought it would be incredibly rude and insensitive to visit the thread and not say anything, sooooo....

Hello.

<3

tracilynn

Vance, 3am is the middle of night to me! I hate waking up early to run. I wished I liked it better because getting your run in first thing and its out of the way of life stuff.

margo, good news on the shoulder. Do you think it affects how you run?

zel, lol on the 0.0 sticker. I had forgotten about that.

Dam, good job sucking him in and getting him addicted to shoes.  once you pay for the shoes you have to use them.

I ran 2.6 last night and was able to run the last .25 1:30 min faster. Im so out of shape I haven't been able to neg split until last night. My "pushing it" pace last night use to be my comfy running pace. I know I'll get there eventually. Jut happy I'm running without pain right nowCool

have a good day everyone!

~~~~~~~

Traci

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Running after work today, around 5 PM. Temp will be a 'cool' 85 degrees.  Big grin  Luckily, the humidity will be only around 50% and the dewpoint will only be around 64.   Our "hot' weather is a bit cooler than what Damaris gets in Miami.   At least it probably feels like it anyway, with our lower humidity and dewpoints in the afternoons and evenings.

Vance, hope you can sneak your miles in!  Yeah, 3 a.m., is even a bit too early for me!  I have been known to go out at 4 a.m., though, during the Texas summer when our temp for that day is going to be over 100 degrees in the afternoon.

He now owns a third pair of shoes.  She sure is taking this seriously.  So your hubby is both male and female, Damaris?  That must get quite interesting!  Joking  Congrat on your miles and good luck to the Doc!

Sorry about the speed loss, Bin.  Hope your breathing issues clear up!

Congrats on finishing PT, Margo!  Enjoy your miles tonite!

Safe road travel, Zelanie!

Enjoy the SRD, FFBoy.  Some days are like that for the legs.  It will pass.

I don't doubt you were on the TM yesterday, Tomas!   We had major storms up here - lots of rain, lightning, etc - but it was nada compared to the weather you got down there...I was watching on the Weather Channel, and y'all had all sorts of stuff going on....flooded roads, high winds, rain, lightning, thunder, tornado watches, etc.  Yikes!  Luckily, San Antonio is a bit farther from Houston area and the coastal area. Stay safe, brother!

Phil, you know you're a Penguin at heart.  Wink  You are always welcome!

Congrats on running again, Traci, and especially good news about no pain!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt