Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins Can Weather Every Storm That Comes At Them! (Read 34 times)

Bin Running

Damaris, hope you get a donut later.

Mel, that's one very unique donut.

Ran 3M in 29:23. Ankle felt ok. Just realized my indoor track has abt 10 right angle turns every 1/2M. Let see how it react after a night sleep.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Friday Penguins! Altho I have been off from work since yesterday I have been busy. Yesterday got up early and got my run in at Fort Sam Houston, 3.5 miles.  Then it was off to Wilford Hall Medical Center at Lackland Air Force Base to get some stuff done for my 'birthday month' annual physical. Followed by getting some cards/presents for Gail for next week (Valentine's Day, Feb 14th; our anniversary, Feb 14th; her birthday, Feb 15th), and then off to my arthritis doc to get my quarterly spinal injections/treatment.  Whew!  Today I am home 'resting' - not supposed to move around a lot for 24 hours after the injection - and also today have some folks coming to the house to put in a new door for us and an electrician coming by to install some new bathroom lights for us.   When I bought the lights at Home Depot, the guy there said "We can show you how to install them yourself."  I said "Yeah, if you want to read in the paper next day about a guy getting electrocuted and his house burning down from faulty wiring."  Me and tools do NOT get along.  Some folks are good at that handy-peson stuff, I am NOT one of them!  Much safer for me - AND all my surrounding neighbors Joking- for me to pay someone to do that.

This weekend I will be doing the San Antonio Rodeo 4-mile run on Saturday - and hopefully avoid the steer manure Wink - and then on Sunday - which is MY birthday; yeah, this is a busy week for me and Gail, lol - Gail and I will be doing the "Be My Valentine 5K" at the park (Brackenridge) near the San Antonio Zoo.  Maybe we will pass by some lovebirds.  Joking  After that I am going to nap a lot on Sunday afternoon!

Umm, no storms for us Gustav, it is 50 degrees right now in San Antonio - cool front for us! Big grin - and will be going to 71 today.  For my race tomorrow morning it will be 57 degrees with a 'feels like' temp of 50 because of a slight wind and some possible rain around that time.  For some reason, we can have very warm weather but as soon as the Rodeo Run gets here, the temp drops!  This has happened every year for the last 5 years, go figure, we either get a cold rain or cold temps and wind.  It wold be nice to have a pleasant day for the Rodeo Run one year.  Congrats on your 3 miles and hope you beat the storm!

Enjoy that cruise, Vance, and hope you have some great weather! At leas you know you won't get any snow anyway.

Jen, good luck with your 5K tomorrow, I am sure you are going to do just fine!  As for warming up, hey, only 5 minutes from the start? How convenient!    I agree with Mitch.  Take a brisk walk to the start area, start getting used to being out there in the cold, do your warmups, and then off you go!

Mitch, don't you make me send you my Bare Buns picture, sir!  You BETTER get out there and run today! 

Glad you got your yoga in, Kristin.  Re-shoot?  Heck, they should put you IN the scene too, make it look more natural, some passerby coming along...and leave the 'almost trampling' in...it happens sometimes in 'real life", would've made the whole thing look more real to me...not to mention brightening up the scene with your loveliness. Big grin  Your story kinda reminds me how I met Sandra Bullock once.  I was running on the Riverwalk at night and came to a point where the path was blocked.  So I was a bit miffed I had to turn around and go allll the way back down the Riverwalk the way I had come to use the bridge to get across to the other side.  I bleated out a couple of choice words in frustration. I didn't at first notice this guy on the other side of the barricade but when I did I apologized. He just laughed and said no problem, and came over to chat.  Turns out he was (is?) a runner too.  And also one of the crew members of Miss Congeniality, part of which was being filmed on the Riverwalk (I had forgotten about that; there was a scene in the movie from the Arno Theater on the Riverwalk).  He said "Hey, long as you're here, you want to meet someone?"   I said well, I'm not exactly dressed for meeting people, but he shook that off with "No problem, she lives in Austin, she sees runners all the time. " So he lets me through, and off we go...and it was Sandra Bullock!  Of all the times not to be running with my camera, sheesh!  Very nice, gracious lady.  I think I chatted with her all of 2 minutes, lol, since she was quite busy.  That was in 2000, so she was 36 and I was 46.  Nice of her to take the time to talk to an old man.. Big grin  That was also the time that the Folklife Festival was going on in San Antonio and Gail was volunteering that night, which is one reason I was running the Riverwalk at night for a change, I was doing my run and then would go back and go to the festival for a while and and pick Gail up to go home.  So when I did go get her, she said "How was your run? Did you have another adventure?"  I said "Well, I didn't fall in the river this time...but I did get to meet Sandra Bullock."   $20 for gas to get downtown....$15 entry to Folklife Festival...$8 for some post-run food... seeing the look on Gail's face...priceless! Big grin

Margo, so sorry to hear about your shoulder.  Hope it is something that will be easily fixed with rest, PT, etc, and any surgery will not be required.

Jerry, something happened to your DW's calf?  Sorry to hear that.  Hope she is 100% very soon!  Surprised y'all are not getting snow up there!

Bin, glad the jog went well and the ankle behaved!  As for the track, I read somewhere that you should sometimes run the track in the opposite direction so as to help 'balance" each side of your body, e.g.,  helps you avoid in the turns dominantly putting stress on one side all the time.

Sorry you are in a foul mood, Damaris.  Hope someone does save you a donut to help cheer you up.  However, try and look at the bright side...at least you don't work at KFC where everyone is always in a fowl mood...  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Hoping to get a swim in today, along with all the crazy work stuff.  I think things are going to be crazy between now and about mid-April, both work and personal.  I'm the contact person at work for equipment purchasing off a particular grant, so I have to herd my department into getting me all the information I need so that I can deliver it to purchasing folks.  Deadline March 31, so work will be crazy until then.  And our quartet has decided to compete this year at regional competition, which is mid-April, so we have something like 7 rehearsals to get ready.  Plus my chorus has a show April 6th, so there's prep for that as well.  EEK!!

Gustav -- stay safe in the weather!!

N-Bug -- sorry you didn't get the position.  Have fun on the cruise!!

Jen -- good luck on your race!!

hog -- get off your ass and run!!!  There, did that work?

kristin -- way to mess up the Hollywood folks!!

Phillie -- hope the PT helps with your shoulder!!

Jerryb -- hope DW is feeling better!!

Bin -- hope the ankle is fine!!

Docket -- boy, they better save you a donut after all that!!

Zelanie -- I wear VFF's, and I'm not a real runner.  If you like them, wear them!!  Love the zombie donut!!

Tori -- good luck with your work shifts!!

Scotty, love the story!!  Enjoy not moving around today!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Morning Penguins (yup, I think it is still morning in lots of places!)

Gustav, hope you don't get caught in bad weather.  Glad your leg was feeling well enough to get 3 miles in.  For me, a plan is just a more formal suggestion.   Just be aware and careful.

N-bug-  I guess this interview was practice for the next one.  Glad you have a good attitude!  Yay@ getting ready for the cruise!

Jen- hi ya!  Brrrr@ 20* race.  I've never raced when it was that cold.  Good luck to you one way or the other.  If your body has healed up well, you should be fine.  Can't wait to hear about it.

kristin- hehehe@ your story.  Glad you weren't hurt, but I wish they'd kept the footage of you.

philliefan-  Good luck with your PT.  Has the cortisone shot kicked in enough to start helping?

Jerry- glad you weren't snowed under.  Enjoy your movie later.  I'm hoping there's something at redbox tonight that appeals to me.

Zelanie-  " I have to admit I worry that I'm not a "real" enough runner to wear them.  Is that silly?"  YES, that's silly!  Not only are you a runner, you do a lot of hard core runs, and fast.  I was thinking the other day that your HM plan except for the length of the LRs was a lot like my Full plan.  Don't sell yourself short; lots of people wish they were doing what you are doing.  (LOVE the donut! Did you make him?)

Scotty-  great story!  Sandra Bullock seems like the kind of person who'd be nice and real in person.  Good luck to you and Gail on your races this weekend!

Hopesmom-  ohhhh, a regional competition!  Sounds fun, and much like a race, something to ignite a fire under everyone's butts.  Hope you get your swim in.

I have a SRD today.  I need to do a bit of shopping and cleaning, and then tonight I DH & I'll go for dinner, and rent a movie.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Morning Pengs!   Scotty, a rodeo run sounds awesome and just up my alley!!  Maybe you can borrow a horse to make it easier Wink .

Late workday today and some kinda big storm approaching.  If I get home at a reasonable hour, I'll do something on the TM. 

Have a great one, everybody!

Liz

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens,

We are also having some harsh weather out here. It is going to be about 63 today and it might even rain!!

My new calf compression sleeves are here. Sorry Kristin, they are "only" green. No pink just yet.  Also, last night I bought a pair of Newtons on clearance from Running Warehouse. I found an online coupon for 15% off so they only cost me $75. My only concern is the size; this is my first pair of shoes I have bought online. It sounds like they have a great return/exchange policy so I am not overly concerned. The car shopping was fun and easy. Going through the Costco auto program is the best. No hassle, no haggling, none of the "Let me check with my manager, he won't like me for doing this" crap. It's as simple as "What options do you want, here is the price."

Five or six miles on tap for tonight. Older DD has her first track meet tomorrow and younger DD has a swim meet all weekend. Busy, busy, busy!!

Have a great weekend.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning Pengs!   Scotty, a rodeo run sounds awesome and just up my alley!!  Maybe you can borrow a horse to make it easier Wink .

Late workday today and some kinda big storm approaching.  If I get home at a reasonable hour, I'll do something on the TM. 

Have a great one, everybody!

Liz

Umm, yeah...me and horses don't get along so much...when we meet there is only one of us in control...and it's the horse!  Maybe I could just carry along one of those wooden stick horses, lol.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Scotty you always have the BEST stories!!!!

jack- green sounds cool!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Scotty, happy birthday!

Margo, I will send you a PM later when I get off work.

Bin, I don't think my bar will be high enough, but I hope to get at least a 1:55.

Bin Running

Jack, I like green. Running warehouse do have great return policy. They sent out the shoes with a return postage in case you need it.

Mitch, I'll take 1:55 anytime too. You got this.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Scotty, I do try to change direction if I can remember. Hee

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: happy birthday! I also have one this month so thanks for the reminder about the check up. "Turn your head and cough."  Smile

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty: happy birthday! I also have one this month so thanks for the reminder about the check up. "Turn your head and cough."  Smile

Well, Jack, I don't mind that exam now...my primary care physician is a lovely lady! Big grin  My problem with that exam now is to keep my tail from wagging too much...  Wink

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty: Smile  Is today your birthday?

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

happy birthday scotty!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to