Beginners and Beyond

Using a race as training for another race of same distance... What pace? (Read 304 times)

happylily

Let's say you have a goal race (a marathon) in April.  But you are compulsive and, kind of a la Damaris :-), you accidentally signed up for another marathon in January. You had a 22 miler on your training schedule that day anyway, so what's another 4.2 miles, eh? There are good chances that if you finish 10 minutes slower than your goal race in April, you may get first place in your AG. Would 10 minutes slower than goal finish time (or about 24 seconds slower than goal pace per mile) be considered in the race effort still, or does it fall in the training run pace? When I check McMillan, I see that the average pace I need for the January race falls in the training range for my LRs (though at the faster end). But we're talking 26.2 miles here, not 18 or 20... What do you think? Would you do it? After the January race, I have another 12 weeks of training, so I should be fresh as a daisy come April... I think? Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I'm telling you accidents are spreadable!!!!!!!!!!

If you're using it as a training run, make sure you run it easy.  Don't get caught up on the race and try to race it (not like I have done that before....)  And if you decide on doing it, take a run off that week's schedule to compensate for the extra miles during the first race/run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I think it would be a race effort simply because of the distance.  But I'd totally do it anyway.  Twelve weeks before your goal race, heck, that's as long as some entire programs.

Docket_Rocket

Missed your last question.  OF COURSE I WOULD DO IT.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I don't see a problem with doing that. BUT MAKE SURE YOU CAN RUN IT WITHOUT RACING! It's a long run, don't get caught up in it as a race.

Is the April race in Paris? Rumour has it that all the cool kids will be there.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Docket_Rocket

That would be awesome I F WE ACTUALLY FIND EACH OTHER! And I censored my own post, and maybe yours, Adam. Stupid iPhone.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

happylily

Thanks ila, D. and Adam! I knew someone here would understand me. :-) It will be a good way to test my will-power. Can I run at a set pace without going crazy and then end up like the walking dead? We'll see in January. Stay tuned. :-)

Adam, no, not Paris. I wish... :-) BTW, I found a French running forum which seems very active (people from France, Belgium, Morroco, etc...). I signed up, but then I realized they use all these weird running terms I've never heard of, such as "fractionné court", which is like 800m, I guess? Not sure... I'm too embarrassed to ask someone there...LOL

runmomto3boys

I'd do it, I think. Good luck!!!

happylily

Thanks Heidi! :-)

runmomto3boys

You HAVE to promise to run it slower, though - I want to see you KILL it in Boston!!!! 

Misty

I'm no where as fast or competitive as you, but I did a HM as a training run 2 weeks before my goal HM. As long as you have the willpower to keep it easy, you should totally do it.

Misty

Bless your heart.

xor

I think it would be a race effort simply because of the distance.  But I'd totally do it anyway.  Twelve weeks before your goal race, heck, that's as long as some entire programs.

What she said, but I'd say it with a funny accent.

Or treat it as a 22 mile long run and walk it in.  This is hard to actually DO at  a race sometimes though.

happylily

What's your funny accent like, SRL? Mine is not funny, it's just persistent, like an annoying cough that just won't go away, ever.

If I had to make myself walk the last 4 miles of a race, I'd feel the urge to explain to everyone in sight, spectators and runners alike, why I'm doing it...They would think I'm insane.

I'll take it as a challenge of restraint.

Walk the first 4????

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

happylily

Walk the first 4????

Okay... that's just crazy talk, now. Big grin