Beginners and Beyond

Legs for Literacy 26.2 - Oct 27th (race photo added) (Read 90 times)

Just B.S.

Thanks to everyone for reading! I always delete reports that have info and photos of others so

now it's gone!LOL

Next marathon May 11, 2014Big grin

Short story - marathon #8, 4 weeks after marathon #7

41F and raining with 5 miles of hills in the middle of the race

At almost age 52 pulled off a 4:12:20, 90 seconds off current PR with pretty much no training. It was a cold, wet

but great day.Big grin

happylily

I only opened your thread to look at your pictures, because you're always so damn cute and your hubby is hot. Big grin (I'm kidding, I read the whole thing. :-)) Congratulations, Beth! What a great finish time! It's even more impressive given your low mile training and running a hard marathon only a few weeks ago. And you're totally badass for going out that day, it looked awesomely miserable!!! I'm proud of you, Canuck lady!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

I only opened your thread to look at your pictures, because you're always so damn cute and your hubby is hot. Big grin (I'm kidding, I read the whole thing. :-)) Congratulations, Beth! What a great finish time! It's even more impressive given your low mile training and running a hard marathon only a few weeks ago. And you're totally badass for going out that day, it looked awesomely miserable!!! I'm proud of you, Canuck lady!

Thanks Lily. I hear those Canadian chicks are tough as nails!LOL

P.S. if you look at the people behind us in t e photo bundled up with umbrella's that should give you a good feeling

of just how awful it was.Big grin And hubby in his sweatshirt and jacket was freezing his ass of waiting for me.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Shivering in the middle of a race? Sounds like possibly hypothermia. Fantastic job that soon after Ireland and under cold, wet conditions. You have every right to be proud of that performance. I've often found that those races I consider my best are seldom PR races, rather they are races where I had to overcome difficult challenges.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RSX

Congrats Beth especially in bad conditions. I have never had a negative split in a marathon.

Love the Half

Nice run in difficult conditions.  Let me make a suggestion if you really want to do a "balls to the wall, epic win or crash and burn" type of race.  Pick a marathon that's likely to have good weather and is on a nearly flat course.  Don't make it one of the mega events either as the congestion in those races will always slow you down unless you are in the first corral.  Start training for it 3-4 months out and don't put any races on your calendar in those 3-4 months unless the race supports your training plan.  Doing those things will put you at the start line with incredibly fresh legs and the training needed to support a truly all out effort.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

hog4life

Beth, strong race! You are an amazing woman, and hubby is pretty tuff too. Congrats on another. I bet you would have easily PR'd with a different course with better conditions, especially if you pushed like you did here.

B-Plus

Congrats Beth! That sounds horrible. Way to persevere through that weather and good for you on making the decision to go for it.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Beth, great job finishing with a strong time in such harsh conditions!  I would have been miserable running in that.  Nice work fighting through the mental battle.  Sometimes it seems like that's a tougher fight than just keeping the legs moving.

<3

workinprogress11

I love that even though conditions weren't optimal for a PR, you just said the hell with it and went for it anyway. Life doesn't always hand us the "perfect day" so on the day you felt good, you grabbed it.   Congratulations!

Jess runs for bacon

Ugh, those conditions are make me shiver! Congrats!!!!!

RSX

Beth was this part of the series having you run 3 races, and putting the medals together to get 1 cool design ?

Just B.S.

happylily

I am SO jealous!!! Those medals are super beautiful!

EDIT: Not that I race for the medals, of course. I'm a REAL racer. (cough, cough... Big grin)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010