Beginners and Beyond

Runner shot and Killed (Read 104 times)

It's only a matter of better laws. We have guns, and some of us enjoy them, but we have strict storage and transportation laws. We do not really adhere to the idea that a gun is a mean to defend ourselves. But we probably have the same ratio of crazies here, and yes, unfortunately, they do use guns against us.

This is what a large portion of Americans disagree with. The anti-gun-control people will tell you that criminals will always find ways to get guns illegally, and the law-abiding people will be left unable to defend themselves.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Let me rephrase that, it is an unsettling thought that something might happen to me while on a run and nobody would know for a long while.... whether it is getting shot, cut, stabbed, ran over, etc. I do, on the other hand feel that my gun is for self-defense, as is my pepper spray, knives and anything I can find at a moment's notice. And where I live, the only gun violence isin the worse parts of the city, and thugs, convicts and felons. But that is in Evansville, not Chandler or Boonville or Newburgh. Sadly.... stereotypes start from truth.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

It's only a matter of better laws. 

A great number of the people here have lost their sense of value for life and respect for their fellow man (some never had it), its a societal issue and has little to do with laws.

For the record, that she was running has zero significance for me, I am just disturbed that someone would shoot a woman in such a cold blooded manner like that.

Yes these things happen all the time and I am saddened whenever I hear about them.  The day that I do not get sad would signal that I too have lost my sense of value for life, or that I have become numb to it all, which might be just as bad.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

100% right

A great number of the people here have lost their sense of value for life and respect for their fellow man (some never had it), its a societal issue and has little to do with laws.

For the record, that she was running has zero significance for me, I am just disturbed that someone would shoot a woman in such a cold blooded manner like that.

Yes these things happen all the time and I am saddened whenever I hear about them.  The day that I do not get sad would signal that I too have lost my sense of value for life, or that I have become numb to it all, which might be just as bad.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

happylily

I cannot comment on whether the number is greater where you are as opposed to here. We have people with mental problems here too and we have people with zero empathy and no sense of value for life either. Of course, our population is one tenth of yours, so the numbers are smaller. I can't say if the ratio is the same when it comes to murder (by means other than with a gun). Maybe a bigger population means bigger cities with bigger societal problems. It's possible.

I agree with your second sentence 100% and Dave must feel the same way. However, as you well know, I'm sure, the day she died, there were many others who died in a cold blooded way. We're talking about her only because she was running. Which is fine. But to me, it's still morbid. But it's fine to talk about it.

I also agree with your last sentence 100%. As I said in my first post, I am sad and I find this terrible. I'm also not sure a gun would have helped her, but that is not the point I want to make and I don't think that FreeSoul wanted to make that point either. Or maybe she was? I don't know. Myself, I was simply responding to Dave's stats.

All in all, I agree with everything you said.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

Of course, our population is one tenth of yours, so the numbers are smaller. I can't say if the ratio is the same when it comes to murder (by means other than with a gun). Maybe a bigger population means bigger cities with bigger societal problems. It's possible.

True, it could be just numbers and volume then.

We know for certain these things are not new and have always happened, we just live in an age where the entire world and everything in it (good & bad) comes right to your eyeballs by way of the web.  Whereas back in the day if you did not see the news, you likely did not hear about a particular incident.

happylily

True, it could be just numbers and volume then.

We know for certain these things are not new and have always happened, we just live in an age where the entire world and everything in it (good & bad) comes right to your eyeballs by way of the web.  Whereas back in the day if you did not see the news, you likely did not hear about a particular incident.

Yes. 30 years ago, we'd only hear about things "local", unless it was a serial killer, or it involved more than say, 10 victims, like a bus crash. Then, it would go national. Now, one baby is dropped on his head in Juneau, Alaska and I hear about it in Montreal, if I go looking for it on the internet.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Most likely a gun would not have helped her, without the details this was either an ambush or she might have exchanged words with her attacker. I don't carry my gun on runs except for only when running with Dorian if we aren't in a group. But again, a weapon is useless if you are unaware of your surroundings. It is all sad, I see worse than this on fb pages through my feed: having to do with children or animals :'(

This article only reminded me of possible scenarios during my runs, and sucks that those concerns even cross my mind Sad

I cannot comment on whether the number is greater where you are as opposed to here. We have people with mental problems here too and we have people with zero empathy and no sense of value for life either. Of course, our population is one tenth of yours, so the numbers are smaller. I can't say if the ratio is the same when it comes to murder (by means other than with a gun). Maybe a bigger population means bigger cities with bigger societal problems. It's possible.

I agree with your second sentence 100% and Dave must feel the same way. However, as you well know, I'm sure, the day she died, there were many others who died in a cold blooded way. We're talking about her only because she was running. Which is fine. But to me, it's still morbid. But it's fine to talk about it.

I also agree with your last sentence 100%. As I said in my first post, I am sad and I find this terrible. I'm also not sure a gun would have helped her, but that is not the point I want to make and I don't think that FreeSoul wanted to make that point either. Or maybe she was? I don't know. Myself, I was simply responding to Dave's stats.

All in all, I agree with everything you said.

PRs