Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Santa Antonio 5K (Read 11 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.   Please note - I took a LOT of photos for this race (over 100), so if you prefer not to read my text with the below photos - which might take a while with this many photos - just go to the link below to review a slideshow of the photos only.

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2069%20Santa%20Antonio%205K

BEFORE THE START

The Santa Antonio 5K was my 69th race of 2016.  It is THE ORIGINAL Santa Claus 5K in San Antonio, and the oldest, going back for I don't know how many years. This is a very popular event.  I don't know how many actually participated but I think there were over 700 registered.  Race venue - start, finish, and the after party - was at Sunset Station, which is right next to The Alamodome, the previous home of the NBA's San Antonio Spurs.  UTSA - the university I work for - plays its home game football games here and the Valero Alamo Bowl is held here, as well as many other events over the year. This event raises money for cancer research; funds are donated - to University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer.  Center, one of the premier cancer research and treatment facilities in the nation.   This 5K is put on by the B.I.S.H. Foundation.  BISH is "Believers Inspiring Survivors for Hope".   www.bishfoundation.net

Race start time of 9 a.m for the 5K, and  Kids Run was held at 8:30.  There was also a 1-mile walk.  As I live only about 8 miles from Sunset Station, I was able to sleep in a bit.  Arrived with about 45 minutes to go to start time and did my usual thing of wandering around taking some pre-start photos.   Before the start, I wore a base layer that I took off for the race, and then had a dry shirt to put back on after the race.  I did not wear the Santa Suit.  I tried it one year, but it made me itch like crazy.

First person I saw was "Mr. Big" himself...

photo 001_zpsiuvxojlu.jpg

Yeah, we're tight...probably still won't get me my winning lottery ticket, though... 

photo 015_zpsulhoz2ca.jpg

With my friend, Karen

photo 017_zpsi3c26uej.jpg

photo 018_zpsvd69nfdx.jpg

The Big Guy's better half on the far right.  Did you know Mrs. Claus is Texan?  Yep, that is why her name is Santa Anna.

photo 012_zpsxwlv1sza.jpg

Race Day Registration ladies....raising money for the cause, as the sign behind them notes..

photo 004_zpsymsvdf6r.jpg

photo 005_zpsmcg2yt3i.jpg

Me and my speedy friend, Bob....one of the reasons I don't get an age group award, lol, as he is in my age group.

photo 041_zpsv8lj8exo.jpg

Our before-and-after party venue...

photo 010_zpslibvfhpk.jpg

...and a lot of Santas everywhere...

photo 033_zpsuxwu7exp.jpg

photo 047_zpsnpiu5sxa.jpg

Running for "Street2Feet", a community group that helps a lot of people - especially homeless and those need - and the program includes a running program that culminates in one of the very best 5Ks done in San Antonio to raise money for their causes and the program.  I have done every 5K of theirs since it started.

photo 006_zpsojg91u4n.jpg

photo 008_zpsiqviynqk.jpg

photo 009_zpsscc1nz8h.jpg

photo 021_zpsewkyavmx.jpg

The beautiful Lana..Ms. Street2Feet Lady, who is a major player in the organization, organizes all the activities, RD for the Street2Feet 5K, and so forth.   Proud to call her a friend.   Well, except for that Cowboys hat - I'm a Redskins fan, having grown up in the DC area. 

photo 132_zpsoskta5tg.jpg

Our MC.  He is also a member of the Harp and Shamrock Society (if I remember the name correctly) and they have a great St. Patrick's Day 5K - Donovan's Run - coming up in March.  Like this Santa run, I think the Donovan 5K is the original St. Patrick's Day 5K in San Antonio.

photo 027_zpsdhxmx4rf.jpg

Yeah, this will be my first stop, post-race..

photo 044_zps3gdhgo8a.jpg

My friends from really good local running store Run Wild Sports...including Emma (dog on left), who recognizes me even all the way across a room, lol, as she knows I always have a treat for her.  Here she is, asking for one, lol.

photo 046_zpsqowu0uwe.jpg

Others...

photo 002_zpselxe1pxe.jpg

photo 003_zpsuw9xor0m.jpg

photo 011_zpsfw3e9wuq.jpg

photo 013_zpsvmldoapo.jpg

photo 014_zpsg7lrzvid.jpg

photo 019_zpsdtfhz0lp.jpg

photo 020_zps3dtjgvk9.jpg

photo 022_zpsjwca9bx4.jpg

photo 024_zpstdzps2uf.jpg

photo 025_zpsdizyp1sk.jpg

photo 026_zps8qevgsvq.jpg

photo 028_zpsfltoselm.jpg

photo 030_zpsqvkzz46s.jpg

photo 031_zps8xqlkfrr.jpg

photo 035_zpsdqjtat3p.jpg

photo 037_zpsxhd4zwzp.jpg

photo 038_zpso1vnlnjv.jpg

photo 039_zpspwznoxgp.jpg

Tried to get the big dog to turn around but he would not.  Well, I get it...that's my best side too.. 

photo 040_zpspofqfgif.jpg

photo 048_zpsjdrk1olm.jpg

photo 049_zpsaceguxfj.jpg

photo 050_zpsma3eyspy.jpg

In front of me at the start line...and behind me...

photo 051_zpswwwbvuw1.jpg

photo 052_zpstgmhu0mk.jpg

ON THE COURSE

I missed last year's race, so did not know the course had been changed last year, and this year it was the same course but done in reverse.  For me it was "new" as I'd only done the old course, which was flat.  This course...not so flat, lol.  For those of  you familiar with San Antonio - we started at Sunset Station, went down Houston Street, passing near The Alamo; then onto Broadway for a bit; so far so good, nice flat course; then I saw we were turning onto Brooklyn...and my first thought was "Oh no, they didn't".  Oh yes, they did!  When we turned onto Austin Street, I knew this course was going to take us over the historic Hays Street Bridge - a very old pedestrian bridge in San Antonio dating back, if I remember correctly, to the early 20th century.  Of course this meant...HILL...cuz going up the bridge ramp is a bit of a climb, then downhill on the other side..then another hill to climb before we turned onto Nolan Street,  a flat road - it was flat for a while anyway, then downhill, and then a small uphill, and after that it was finally flat again as we began the last short leg back to Sunset Station.   Lots of Santas at this event, as everyone who registered got complete Santa Suit - even got a beard - and participants got to keep that.  The course was full of Santas...although at start time the temp was 63 degrees, so I notice by about the halfway point a lot of the jackets started being worn around the waist and a lot of the hats were being put into pockets or carried.  Even so, still quite a run/walk full of color all around you on the course.

Near The Alamo

photo 054_zpslbjvycgw.jpg

photo 056_zpsizdhizy7.jpg

photo 057_zps8jcth6ss.jpg

photo 058_zpsuczlahv8.jpg

photo 059_zpsuxtdsxq6.jpg

photo 060_zpshktzybss.jpg

On historic Hays Street Bridge

photo 061_zpsmt8stcxk.jpg

photo 062_zpsekxblwqc.jpg

photo 064_zpsjnfu43mv.jpg

photo 066_zpswvj6swgv.jpg

photo 069_zps5ztemzeu.jpg

photo 067_zpspehrung4.jpg

photo 068_zps9rlkersj.jpg

Thanks for the directions, volunteer!

photo 070_zpsf5zsqxsm.jpg

Nolan Street.. another hilly part of the course...not much hill, but enough to feel it, lol.

photo 071_zpsjyofzwqx.jpg

photo 072_zpsdcbslpjc.jpg

Bike volunteer..up and down the course making sure we are all okay.  Thanks, George!

photo 073_zpsvd8lbiov.jpg

Next, nonstop all the way back to the finish - about the last 1.2 miles or so.   Ended up with a chip time of 34:56.  Did not place in my age group, as there were some very speedy old guys at this event, as big as it was.  I'd seen them pre-start, so knew I was not getting an award, lol; so after the 5K I did the day before this race, I just kinda 'kicked back" for this one, stopping for photos a bit more than I usually do at an event.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, did a bit of a cool down walk and then off to get photos...lots of photos.  I never remember to count when I'm taking them, so it always surprises me when I get home and start loading them up to discover  just how many photos I do take at races.

Chip removal

photo 074_zpssi2swouy.jpg

photo 075_zpsf1q0ppbo.jpg

Two happy finishers

photo 076_zpsf4bu5kdr.jpg

This guy on my right ran the whole course in that suit!

photo 078_zpsbdpuwdod.jpg

He told me someone on the course did accidentally step on his tail...that'll kill your time!

photo 079_zps96rlvtgm.jpg

Lots of happy finishers, volunteers, et al.....

photo 080_zpsnjptw1nh.jpg

photo 083_zpsfk9jlxug.jpg

photo 084_zpsoz3ybltd.jpg

photo 081_zps3vackqk9.jpg

I must have been good this year..  

photo 082_zpsmoamhkkh.jpg

Over to the pavilion area...the party had already started...

photo 098_zpsw709e6p3.jpg

Keep pouring, guys!

photo 085_zpsfseyp0ql.jpg

Oh yeah...

photo 086_zps7b3zdqn4.jpg

Eugene, Alamo Beer owner, and his future Olympian daughter.   I thought she was funny.  My friend, standing next to me, asked her if she ran the 5K too.  She held up her Kids Run medal and said "Hey, I'm a kid..."   lol.   All I want for Christmas, Eugene, is a case of Golden Ale...  

photo 088_zpsyj55iuif.jpg

photo 089_zpsglizdory.jpg

photo 090_zpstjbqgto3.jpg

My friend Jim on the left....another speedy guy in my age group...6 - 7 minute miles, sheesh.

photo 092_zpsmg5bdh7z.jpg

These two dancers performed at this event. Nice dancing.  I wish...I dance like 'Elaine' in Seinfeld, lol.

photo 093_zpscxhu6jrc.jpg

Being careful to keep my sweaty self away from that beautiful dress

photo 094_zpsdnzzqla3.jpg

photo 095_zpsswcklxop.jpg

photo 096_zpstkqsczyr.jpg

photo 099_zpsxs7z5dzp.jpg

photo 100_zps5drfoprx.jpg

photo 101_zps65wthfkq.jpg

photo 102_zpsdmhyzdl2.jpg

photo 103_zpsongywns9.jpg

photo 104_zpssj3latq9.jpg

San Antonio Roadrunners, the running club I am a member of.  The biggest and oldest in San Antonio.

photo 127_zpsngdrot53.jpg

photo 105_zps8hjxr42r.jpg

photo 106_zpshosvnca0.jpg

photo 107_zpskh4an2es.jpg

photo 108_zpsnn3akmvd.jpg

photo 130_zpsoi71jdtd.jpg

photo 109_zpsshfwy5p9.jpg

photo 112_zpsdulmqpoi.jpg

photo 113_zps2fgevdxm.jpg

photo 114_zpsjyqbbp52.jpg

photo 116_zpsbthdv8zv.jpg

photo 115_zpssfngtuzm.jpg

photo 121_zpsiigg3umu.jpg

photo 122_zpsejbgltli.jpg

photo 123_zpscavr11lv.jpg

photo 124_zpszqcerizj.jpg

This kid - on the left, legs out - was a cool young man, lol.  He saw my shirt earlier, came over and told me "Congrats on beating cancer' and said he knew people with cancer and was going to tell them about the shirt.  Very poised young man.  Got a photo of him with his family and then one of me with him so he could really share the shirt.    I don't know what he wants to be when he grows up, but whatever it is, he'll be successful, he's got a good head and a good heart.

photo 125_zpsummyfil0.jpg

photo 126_zpsa8bysjtl.jpg

My 4-legged friend Abby, with her human.     Oh yeah...she finished the 5K WAY ahead of me.

photo 128_zpse3xgx4gx.jpg

photo 138_zpsrn6wz1et.jpg

photo 129_zpsasuw9s7x.jpg

photo 131_zpsmdg43o9f.jpg

photo 133_zpscztvkt0h.jpg

photo 135_zpsd6vplxzc.jpg

Me with friend Sandra, one of the most inspirational people I have ever met.  She LIVES "Never Give Up."

photo 136_zpseo0wu5ts.jpg

photo 137_zpsvkuww9j4.jpg

As I was heading to my car, I encountered this young lady, whom I had run with, and near, for most of the last mile.

photo 139_zps2slajbot.jpg

She and her friends.

photo 140_zpstbvuzqsj.jpg

EPILOGUE

One of my favorite - if not the favorite - holiday season races.  Really good course, even with the bridge and the other small hills; and it's not like I was unprepared, I do a hill training run once a week.  Well thought out, well laid out, wide streets with room enough for everyone to do their own pace without interfering with anyone else.  Would have been nice to pass by in front of The Alamo instead of beside it, but I realize street closures are expensive..and closing the street in front of The Alamo probably would have really cost a pretty penny.  It is what is and, as is, this course is pretty darn good. And after the finish, one heck of an after party, with all kinds of goodies and stuff going on, that included tamales, some kind of meat dish - I recognized it, but the name of it went right out of my head - beer, music, professional dancers, 3 deep age group awards with a nice medal for the placers - I forget what the overall winners got but with this race I am sure something really nice, the organizers of this race don't hold back - and there was a bib drawing for door prizes - none of which I won, darn the luck.   A really super nice event at a really good location, and Sunset Station also has many many many bathrooms - not porta-potties, actual restroms - so there was virtually no waiting to use the facilities, I saw no lines where I was at any given time. Very nice.   This one is most assuredly a keeper on the race calendar.  If you are ever in San Antonio the Sunday after Thanksgiving, this is a great event to do.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us:  all the volunteers, law enforcement, sponsors, etc.  And a super big shout-out to the B.I.S.H. Foundation and Adrian and Darlene Gonzalez, the two foundation members that really get this thing going every year - with a lot of help of course.  Love you guys!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Awesome race report. That's a lot of Santas. I can definitely see why you chose not to run in the Santa suit, sounds warm.

GinnyinPA

I see what you mean about people taking off their Santa suits mid-race. That'll slow you down.