Beginners and Beyond

Beginner Knee Pain Woes (Read 14 times)

DireWolf75

Hello everyone! New to the group. This is my first post. I’m a 45-yr-old male, 6’1”, 280lbs. Never been a very active person and recently decided to change that. Had meniscus repair surgery in my right knee about six years ago.

Bought some New Balance 840v4 and decided to start walking through my neighborhood for 30-45min a few times a week. Did that for about two weeks with no issues. Then I decided to start a Couch to 5K plan and fell in love with it after week 1. Week 2 comes in and I’ve developed some knee pain in the same knee I had surgery on six years back. Feels like it’s in the front of my knee and occasionally just below the knee cap. I know knee pain is common and I also know that I’m an overweight beginner in my 40s but should I be overly concerned? I’ve rested for the past five days and started doing some basic strength exercises for my knees at home. All I could get from someone at a running store was that I could benefit from shoes with a lot more shock absorption and that I should continue trying to strengthen my knees. The fact that I had a meniscus repair six years ago is what concerns me. It sucks to fall in love with something and right at the beginning you suddenly feel to scared to continue.

Thoughts?? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Just say good luck with your quest…. Meniscus problems is thankful one the few problems I never had.  
      good luck