Beginners and Beyond

HM race (or other) prior to Marathon goal - shout out! (Read 50 times)

LRB

Hopefully I can get my 10k closer in line in 12 days.

The shorter the distance the tougher it is...sometimes.  Everything just has to come together, no different than any distance really.

delicate flower

HM #1:  9/13.  Goal is to PR (1:34:51).  Plan is to go out at current PR pace (7:15) and see what happens.  This is 10 weeks out from my marathon.

train train train train train and four weeks later.....

HM #2:  10/11.  Goal is to race it as hard as I can.  This is my final tune up for my marathon and will be my key indicator.  This race is important.

Train through October and basically taper the month of November for the 11/23 Philly marathon.

For both of these HM's, I'll front load my miles for the week and back off three days leading into the races.

<3

onemile

I am definitely better at half marathons.  I have yet to run a perfectly paced marathon and my 5k time is way slower than what my half says I should be able to do.

Spring marathons with HM before:

2012:

HM pace 6:25

(9 weeks)

FM pace 7:44

2013:

HM pace 6:05

(5 weeks)

FM pace 7:00

2014:

HM pace 6:15

(4 weeks)

FM pace 6:44

Fall marathons with HM before:

none!

B-Plus

Spring marathons with HM before:

2012:

HM pace 6:25

(9 weeks)

FM pace 7:44

2013:

HM pace 6:05

(5 weeks)

FM pace 7:00

2014:

HM pace 6:15

(4 weeks)

FM pace 6:44

Fall marathons with HM before:

none!

This place needs a similar thread about ultras before marathons.

Mmmmm...beer

I was hoping to do a half the first week of Oct, five weeks out from my marathon, as a tuneup, but I'll be gone for work.  So I'll have to rely on a 10k at the end of Oct, three weeks out.  Not optimal, but it'll do.  I have no idea what kind of time to shoot for, my fitness should be greatly improved, I'm down 20lbs already, with probably another 5-10lbs by the time I run the 10k.  Guess I'll just run it hard and try to hang on and see what I end up with. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

This is an interesting point you raise, I wonder if it is just race day execution or some other variable than just gender. 

I have done a decent job of lining my race times to their equivalent in other distances and am hopeful that continues...

I think it's race day execution.  Men frequently go out gangbusters and end up jogging or walking when they might well have had the opportunity to run an equivalent time or close to it if they had been restrained in the early miles.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Leading up to last sub-3:00 marathon:

9/21 - HM 1:25:04 - race it

9/27 - 5M 34:39 - pacing slower friend

9/28 - 10K 44:12 - pacing slower friend

10/4 - 3.25M 18:36 - race it

10/19 - 10M 1:02:05 - race it

11/2 - 8.4M 53:15 - pacing fast friend, about 90-95% effort, all out effort would be 51:30-52:00

11/9 - Marathon 2:56:36 - race it

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

onemile

This is making me think I should skip my half after all. I've already missed so much training I shouldn't sacrifice 2 weeks to do the race.

Docket_Rocket

This is making me think I should skip my half after all. I've already missed so much training I shouldn't sacrifice 2 weeks to do the race.

This might actually work to your advantage.  More time to train, less recovery time, etc.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Evansville Half Marathon - October 4

I am not really running it for practice or preparation but out of loyalty. I'll run an easy 5 before the race, and I won't taper either but I am not going to kill myself during it.

Marathon - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon - November 1

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Ha. I am totally having second thoughts about mine, after some of the comments on the other thread. My training has been going pretty well, why can't I just follow the damn plan? (And now there is a 10k I want to run 2 weeks later.) But I have paid, so might as well show up. And if I show up, I might as well race it. But I guess I still have time to think about how hard I want to push it.

Race is on Saturday; today was the normal rest day, but I decided to run today & move the rest day to tomorrow, just to minimize mileage at least in the last couple days before the race. Then the question is how to handle the following week. Thinking about whether to cut out the Tuesday strength session.

Dave

onemile

Ha. I am totally having second thoughts about mine, after some of the comments on the other thread. My training has been going pretty well, why can't I just follow the damn plan? (And now there is a 10k I want to run 2 weeks later.) But I have paid, so might as well show up. And if I show up, I might as well race it. But I guess I still have time to think about how hard I want to push it.

Race is on Saturday; today was the normal rest day, but I decided to run today & move the rest day to tomorrow, just to minimize mileage at least in the last couple days before the race. Then the question is how to handle the following week. Thinking about whether to cut out the Tuesday strength session.

My problem is I am already doing a shortened training program due to an injury - I switched to a 12 week plan and then to lose another 2 weeks seems stupid.

Both times I raced a half using Hansons, I kept everything the same the week after.  I do remember though that I had a really tough time completing the strength workout the week after the half last fall. I had to stop and take a breather part way through. Ick.

Both times I raced a half using Hansons, I kept everything the same the week after.  I do remember though that I had a really tough time completing the strength workout the week after the half last fall. I had to stop and take a breather part way through. Ick.

I think you said the 2nd time, you wished you had taken more time to recover the following week. If you did it again, would you cut out the Tuesday strength, or just keep the total weekly mileage down?

Dave

onemile

I think you said the 2nd time, you wished you had taken more time to recover the following week. If you did it again, would you cut out the Tuesday strength, or just keep the total weekly mileage down?

Yeah, probably cut the strength workout and reduce the miles a little. It looks like I ran 68 miles that week.  And I think things kind of went downhill for me from there. Because I really ran a good half but then by marathon day I was fried.