Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Mutt Strutt 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2025%20Mutt%20Strut%205K

A couple of the photos may have come out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 25th race of 2017 was the Mutt Strut 5K on April 15, the day this year which also was my running anniversary – 34 years as a runner, as I started my running life on April 15, 1983.  Race location was Park, near Floresville TX.  Never been to this park so figured for this race I wold enjoy a route different than my usual San Antonio race routes. Park is about a 40 minute drive from where I live near the San Antonio airport.

As this was for a no-kill shelter, I laid out my 'animal' shirt and socks the night before the race. This shirt, gotten from an iaapweb race, is one of my favorites

photo 001_zpsreisxoj2.jpg

Nice tech tee race shirt in the goodie bag.  I suspect this will be another of my favorite shirts

photo 002_zps61re2xbi.jpg

Ready to head down to the race site on the morning of...

photo 003_zpswla2tfqs.jpg

Arrived on site with about 45 minutes to the 8 a.m. start time and got some pre-start photos.  As the cause for this event was to help build a no-kill animal shelter in Wilson County, there were plenty of doggies onsite too, as this was a dog-friendly event.  Our host organization for this event was the Wilson County Road Runners (WCRR), with the timing and results being done by the very reliable AthleteGuild, co-owned by my good friend Scott Wood.

photo 004_zps6mlahkya.jpg

photo 005_zpsbygnowhd.jpg

photo 006_zpsqpgondq1.jpg

photo 007_zpsrlu9jnrs.jpg

photo 008_zpskp7azwek.jpg

photo 009_zpsbtbvc9nl.jpg

photo 013_zpstqjlaicr.jpg

photo 010_zpsdyepl8qb.jpg

photo 011_zpsaf0wgjmm.jpg

photo 012_zpsi5j5rlkw.jpg

At my age, my race goals are simple:  finish standing up and don't have an ambulance waiting for me at the finish line.  Well, guess what......at least they were not waiting for me specifically, lol.

photo 014_zpsktpbfht5.jpg

photo 015_zpsv3edxfcl.jpg

photo 017_zpsfmte321d.jpg

National Anthem...

photo 016_zpselsc238y.jpg

and then we were off...

ON THE COURSE

Weather was pretty humid, with a mix of blue skies at times and storm clouds hovering, but no rain developed thankfully. Temp was around 65 or so degrees. Course was two loops on the park dirt/gravel roads and a bit of a paved section, but mostly dirt-and-gravel.   All the surfaces of the course we were on were pretty well maintained so no debris, over-brush, etc.  It was actually a sweet course, and also a pretty one, as we went under big shade trees, and wound around a pretty little loop near the back of the park area.   For the most part the course was pretty flat, with only a couple of small inclines – nothing you could really call a hill – along the way.  I ended up with a chip time of 33:18, which was good enough for 3rd in my age group.  The race gave 3-deep age group awards in 10 year categories, and several people got awards, as this was an inaugural event, so not well known yet, and about maybe 50 – 70 participants.

photo 018_zpsqwzieo47.jpg

photo 019_zpsnho8ptk4.jpg

photo 020_zpsym3cgidv.jpg

photo 021_zpslstfckms.jpg

photo 022_zpsnqztbycy.jpg

photo 023_zpsce1fdlto.jpg

photo 024_zpsbdjlnrta.jpg

photo 025_zps0fvbbsgi.jpg

photo 026_zpsgmnnaww5.jpg

photo 027_zpsi0ehxh1a.jpg

Is that beer in there?  Darn...apparently not...  

photo 028_zpsdalco8eb.jpg

photo 029_zpsllgqvigk.jpg

photo 030_zpspzmypwjj.jpg

Pretty little back area loop we did twice.  This was on my second and last loop

photo 031_zpsp69swkwq.jpg

photo 032_zpsy0xpbbwc.jpg

After I finished, stayed near the finish line and got a few of the people coming in that i had been running off-and-on with at various points.

photo 033_zps5lxoiffl.jpg

photo 034_zpsn5tgy9rx.jpg

photo 035_zpst6gipqsd.jpg

photo 036_zpsdddbpsif.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Drank some water, did a bit of a cool-down walk, and then wandered around getting some photos of “happy finishers”, volunteers, et al.

photo 037_zpslervswh9.jpg

photo 039_zps3t5ddxch.jpg

photo 040_zpsg2an3msq.jpg

photo 041_zpsvhh95bfn.jpg

photo 042_zpspxu8cti8.jpg

photo 043_zpshgkbt0a5.jpg

photo 044_zpspd4aghmr.jpg

There was a fellow Eagle there

photo 047_zps5s5mgz7f.jpg

photo 046_zpsjelc9xrz.jpg

photo 048_zpsnbqkdz8j.jpg

photo 049_zpsckcaqphf.jpg

photo 050_zpsi2qlu03l.jpg

How a senior citizen old guy retired vet makes himself look good...stand next to a pretty woman.   I stand next to my wife quite a lot too.   This lady was, I believe, our Race Director and was also taking photos.  Great job for your inaugural event, young lady!

photo 051_zpsfgpx889u.jpg

EPILOGUE

In my 23 years of living in San Antonio – I got here via my Air Force career when I was assigned to Lackland and then retired in San Antonio after that assignment – I never even knew this park was here.  It is a small park but a real gem.  You probably can’t go into and run miles and miles in one direction like you can with some of the San Antonio greenway parks, but it has really nice running areas to get in a few miles – and more if you want to do laps through the park – and one of my friends there told me there was also a trail in the park that takes you down by the river, which we did not see for the event. So I am definitely coming back to this park sometime and doing some more exploring.

As for the event itself:  good cause, really nicely well-thought out course – even though we did two loops for the 5K, because of the way it was laid out, it did not ‘feel’ like loops to me; always a good thing for me, lol, as I hate running on the track, makes me feel like a white lab rat, lol, doing all those loops – where’s the cheese?

Inaugural race, just starting out, so the post-race goodies, were pretty simple, some water, fruits, snacks, etc., but that’s okay, I get it, race budgets are tough, and the cause for this one was/is the important thing.  I did, though, actually bring a jar of dog biscuits and donated that to some of the volunteers so the doggies could have post-race treats too.  Since this one is close to Easter, there was also an Easter egg hunt post-race for the kiddies too. I told the Race Director for next year, she could probably have one for the dogs too, put some dog treats into a few of the eggs, lol, the dogs would probably sniff them right out.

The Wilson County Road Runner folks were great hosts and very nice people, it was a pleasure meeting some of them.  And if you want to explore the park more, the WCRR has some fun runs at this park twice a month and any runner or walker is welcome to join them.  Check their FB and website for the monthly times and dates.  I hope this one continues being put on in the upcoming years, because I would definitely do this one again and would certainly recommend it to my fellow runners.

MUCHO thanks also to all folks that made this one possible for we participants; the sponsors, all the volunteers, Athlete Guild for timing, results, the EMT guys that were there for us, et al.   Events could not happen without all of you willing to give your time for we runners and walkers.    THANK YOU.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt