Beginners and Beyond

Injured Mud runners sue... watcha think? (Read 540 times)

MrNamtor

I probably would not have joined that "Class action" lawsuit simply because it only makes more money for the Lawyers, and I'd rather lose a few bucks if it would prevent a lawyer from raking in a six figure 'fee' for himself!

But... This is Modern American society folks!  Expect MORE of it!  See, it is like this.  Less folks work in blue-collar jobs making things, we have robots in the auto factories and the etc that can do most of that these days.  But folks still need jobs!    So, a larger portion of the population has to be employed in white collar jobs.  IE service jobs, and yes, lawyers + all that.

Add that along with this "It is always someone else's fault" mentality that everyone seems to have these days, and that is where the country is headed. (And we wonder why most kids these days won't take responsibility.  They are just following the lead of the selfish adults they see on TV who sue for stupid reasons and set the bad example.)...  ---Expect your local yellow pages with 108 pages of lawyers in it to have 216 pages of them a decade from now.

Sorry for getting so long-winded.  It just royally pisses me off when people want to blame others!   ---If you sign up for a race and get hurt in that race because you tackled an obstacle that looked dangerous to you, then suck it up!  :-))

I like what you say here. And the "it's always someone else's fault" mentality is prevalent for sure.

On the other hand, aren't those waivers designed to absolve the sponsor of responsibility and make everything your fault?

notimeforthat

Ah yes, another fine example of throwing personal responsibility aside and blaming someone else for your poor decisions. I am not surprised at this at all. After all, we see children act this way all the time and they learned it from somewhere.

MrNamtor

Ah yes, another fine example of throwing personal responsibility aside and blaming someone else for your poor decisions. I am not surprised at this at all. After all, we see children act this way all the time and they learned it from somewhere.

Yeah they probably learned it from our political and business leaders who hire armies of lawyers, aides and council to make sure nothing is ever their fault or responsibility.

happylily

When I trekked through miles of Belizean caves, back in August, I was warned that it would be dark and slippery and if I fell, it would be on sharp rocks. I was warned that I'd have to swim (I'm not very good at it), I was told I'd have to climb rock walls with water rushing on my face, and then I'd have to jump off those falls, and try not to hit the rocky edge below. All this was very clear to me and my family. I was also asked to sign a waiver. At that moment, I asked myself "Is this worth it for me and my family? Do we really want to see those caves?" Both answers were positive. Then I asked myself "If anything happens to any of us, are these people trained and equipped to handle an accident? I checked that and I was reassured. I then signed the waiver and went on the most fantastic adventure of my life. The risks were worth taking for us.

On the other hand, there is no way in hell I'd ever risk injury to my legs for a Mud or Spartan thing. I train for road races, why would I race in conditions which are unusual to me? Just not worth it for me... But if someone else wants to experience the thrill of it, then it better be worth it to them and they must be prepared mentally for the worst. Why? Because the waiver is there for a reason...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010