Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #3 (Read 33 times)

From the Internet.

Flyby again, I'll read everything in a bit. WHAT A FUCKING WEEK, MAN.

Hip is holding up fine. Club workout this morning was great. 800-200 x5, supposed to be present 5K pace for 800 and little faster for 200 with shortish recoveries (only a minute after the 800, 2 min between sets). 3:05, 3:04, 3:03, 3:03, 3:00 for the 8s, 42-43 for the first few 2s and then 41, 39. Still on track for 60 miles this week with plenty of easy runs - hoping for ~15 on Sunday. Gotta start thinking ahead to the marathon because that's going to sneak up on me before I know it! D:

Has anyone raced a 7 miler? It's a weird distance but I have one of those on the 2nd. It's a free race (so I assume there are no perks) with the price being to bring at least 1 can for the food pantry it benefits. I'll try to bring more than one.

LOL no, never. But I’m all about free these days! They do a Christmas 12k around here (The 12k’s of Christmas), which is about 7.5 miles.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

LOL no, never. But I’m all about free these days! They do a Christmas 12k around here (The 12k’s of Christmas), which is about 7.5 miles.

Have you done that one? Not sure how to race something slightly longer than a 10K. I suspect I'll crash and burn, lol.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Has anyone raced a 7 miler? It's a weird distance but I have one of those on the 2nd. It's a free race (so I assume there are no perks) with the price being to bring at least 1 can for the food pantry it benefits. I'll try to bring more than one.

Yes! But the only one I've done is Falmouth, which is humid AF in August. At 70F dewpoint pacing goes out the window and survival is more the key, lol. The distance is not that far off a 10K so I'd think about it similarly - short enough that you can go faster than you'd think, long enough that you have some time to adjust if you go out too slow.

From the Internet.

Can we make it to #365 with this as a topic title?

10 miles on the trainer to warm up, except it didn't help me run my intervals (3.5 total) any faster, so at some point I may just have to accept that it's not the cold, it's just that I've gotten slower. Yay.

Nobody told me what to do yesterday so I'm going to ask again -- though what will likely end up happening is option B will sell out and I won't have the choice anymore, at which point I will probably realize that's what I wanted to do all along.

I'm having another "which race do I do?" dilemma for Super Bowl Sunday ... which I wouldn't worry about just yet except that one of them is near capacity.

A. Half marathon a couple of miles from home, $50, 10 AM start. It's multiple loops of the park and I've done that race several times (they put one on in the winter and in the fall), and I predict that if I do it, I will place second or third because I always do. Possibly of note is the fact that I'm doing a ten-mile race a couple of weeks later on the same course. Snooze.

B. Four-mile race ten miles away, $33, 9 AM start. And yes, I'd likely run there, because if I plan to race anything in the winter I need a long warmup. Except that my main purpose in doing this would be to get a stupid A bib, and I'd have to run something crazy like 6:15 pace for that, which is obviously not going to happen... but I might be able to squeak out a PR at least.

Why do these people persist in putting on races on the same day??

Do you mean 366?? Big grin

Race B gets my vote!

Docket_Rocket

Yes! But the only one I've done is Falmouth, which is humid AF in August. At 70F dewpoint pacing goes out the window and survival is more the key, lol. The distance is not that far off a 10K so I'd think about it similarly - short enough that you can go faster than you'd think, long enough that you have some time to adjust if you go out too slow.

OK, so maybe 5 seconds/mile slower than 10K?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

BTW, when I say Fishers, IN is not flat, this is why. My LR routes are 1/3 of this map and I might just do this HM for fun:

Damaris

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

OK, so maybe 5 seconds/mile slower than 10K?

Yeah, should be about right!

GinnyinPA

BTW, when I say Fishers, IN is not flat, this is why. My LR routes are 1/3 of this map and I might just do this HM for fun:

What's the total elevation gain on that race?

Docket_Rocket

I have not race it yet, but according to my running group, it's quite a workout. My 8 miler on part of them was around 224ft of elevation gain.

Thinking of running it even though I said never again last time.

One thing the group told me was that the October HM I did in Ft. Ben that was super hilly is less hilly than this one. Let me find my info on Strava for that one.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

According to Strava, the elevation for that one was

Elevation

389 ft

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Have you done that one? Not sure how to race something slightly longer than a 10K. I suspect I'll crash and burn, lol.

I never answered this question, but no I did not run that 12k. Because I never race odd distances. I did race the 5k they also offered, but will not do so again because it was stupid hilly.

Dave