Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: 2019 Race 51 Scallywompus 10M, 5M, and 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252051%2520Cibolo%2520Creek%25205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 51st race of 2019 was the Scallywompus Battle of Cibolo Creek 5K held on Sep 21st.  There was also a 10-miler and a 5-miler.  This was my first race since having my pacemaker implant on Aug 22.  Still not quite cleared to run, so I walked this one, a night-time event starting a little after 8 p.m., held at River Community Church in Selma, Texas, a small community bordering on the San Antonio city limits.   I got there about an hour or so before the start and got a few pre-start photos.

Nice to be back out and among my running community again

photo IMG_1339_zpsbs8ix36v.jpg

photo IMG_1340_zpsbzbjao0c.jpg

photo IMG_1342_zpsdu4yfcwq.jpg

photo IMG_1343_zpspod5b2td.jpg

photo IMG_1344_zpszwryelt4.jpg

photo IMG_1342_zpsdu4yfcwq.jpg

photo IMG_1345_zpsx3bxnsrx.jpg

photo IMG_1346_zpsmujblbwr.jpg

photo IMG_1347_zps5svw7erl.jpg

photo IMG_1348_zpsbppawckb.jpg

photo IMG_1349_zpsngxgc1tu.jpg

photo IMG_1350_zpsfbw7yie2.jpg

photo IMG_1351_zps7ubpnwlj.jpg

photo IMG_1356_zps8m6nddcf.jpg

photo IMG_1358_zpscqqykhlj.jpg

Old Glory raised for the National Anthem

photo IMG_1355_zpshg9bkiws.jpg

10-milers getting ready to start

photo IMG_1353_zpso3n6lcsz.jpg

Friend of mine getting ready to rock the 10-miler

photo IMG_1357_zpsxulssfye.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course was pretty much around the church grounds which are pretty darn large, since this used to be a concert venue, the Verizon Amphitheater – I saw Aerosmith in concert here – before the church bought it.  The grounds did have some lighting along the way, but also some dark spots too, so the majority of participants, including me, wore headlamps.  Course was very flat with a couple of inclines – but I missed those inclines because I stupidly went the wrong way on the course – my own darn fault, as I was trying to figure out if I was still on the 5K course – and ended up doing 3.3 miles instead of 3.1, finishing in an hour and one minute.  All good though, I had a nice walk, interacted with a lot of folks on the course, and enjoyed myself.   I did not take any on-course photos as my old-time camera is not good in the dark.  I managed to finish 2nd in my age group of the Walkers Division, primarily because there were only 2 in my age group.

After My Finish

First thing – rehydrate, it was warm out there. This is Texas, and September is still warm!  Even with the 8 pm+ staggered start for all the events, the temp was a ‘cool” 91 degrees, but at least there was a fairly nice breeze blowing. I did manage to work up a sweat though, even at my slow pace, so first got rehydrated with some water, and then enjoyed a post-race beer while wandering around taking some photos at the after-party.  And Scallywompus events have a heck of an after-party.  Their motto is “Come for the race. Stay for the party.”

photo IMG_1364_zps6qr1hz7m.jpg photo IMG_1359_zpsr1ba5e7x.jpg

photo IMG_1360_zpsygggedwe.jpg

photo IMG_1361_zpsmmxnjc8f.jpg

photo IMG_1362_zpsdh9azzjj.jpg

photo IMG_1363_zps5gscch6y.jpg

photo IMG_1365_zpsw8x8x5ej.jpg

photo IMG_1366_zpskgexn5u7.jpg

photo IMG_1368_zpsogskgywu.jpg

photo IMG_1369_zpsobayo6oz.jpg

photo IMG_1371_zpskgudfdzl.jpg

photo IMG_1372_zpskxxficn0.jpg

photo IMG_1375_zpsaiclnaon.jpg

photo IMG_1376_zpsoxor1owi.jpg

Friend and race director, Tony.  Thanks, Tony!

photo IMG_1377_zpsazfjvyjp.jpg

EPILOGUE

Nicely organized event, quality race t-shirts, and lots of post-race goodies, including water, beer, various other drinks both alcoholic and non-alcoholic, and various fruits, nutrition bars, and so forth, all being enjoyed while a DJ played some tunes for us. Really nice facilities at this location too, indoor restrooms, lots of seating areas, plenty of room for all.  I’d only change one thing – put on ALL the course directional signs the race distance – 10M, 5M, 5K – so directionally challenged old-fart idiots like me know that we are still on the correct course, lol.  Again, the mis-direction was my own darn fault, but even so, it would be helpful.  All in all, though, a good event,  nice easy course to run or walk on, and nice party.  I’d do this one again and would recommend it to others.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I'm glad to see you're back out at the races. Did Gail go with you?

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm glad to see you're back out at the races. Did Gail go with you?

No, she is a Scentsy vendor and had an event herself that day.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt