Beginners and Beyond

Hey Venomized (Read 536 times)

If I may interject...  I'm not sure what's involved in the game, but I know RA has better integration support than RWOL.  RA has an API that allows third parties to access user data (with the user's permission) so the game site can tap into your data automatically.  If you describe what is needed, I can even embed the game directly into this group.  I've done customizations for other groups on RA.  The official annual mileage and running streak groups have their own addons:

1500 Miles Club

Mile A Day

eric Smile

see his post here.  Looks like he is willing to help.  

You can call me Anna

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Looks like Eric has already chimed in.

The 2013 game is pretty simple from the user standpoint.  Pledge your miles and decide if you want to be on a team or compete as an individual.  We do ask for the game players to provide us an email as an alternate way to contact them outside of the forum.  For those that will be part of the team aspect then team captains will be provided the emails for their teams.

Based on the total number of miles the runners pledge the teams will be equalized on their initial average based on how many teams we set up.  I think it was 10 teams for 2012.  Each week the teams will be pitted against each other and this will continue until week 40 or so I think it was and tghen we start the play offs.  Its a single elimination set up.  First round is winner moves on, 2nd round is best 2 out of 3.  This keeps going until wer virtually crown a team for the week.

Here is the current week 47 collection thread link  http://forums.runnersworld.com/forums/runner-communities/beginners?plckDiscussionOnPage=2#plckforumsearchtext=2013in2013&plckforumid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477&plckforumpage=ForumDiscussion&plckforumpostshowfirstunread=&plckdiscussiononpage=1&plckdiscussionid=Cat%3ARunner%20CommunitiesForum%3A608106477Discussion%3A7ae30c83-c5f2-4c79-8591-622f687db694&plckforumpostonpage=1&plckpostid=

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

RWOL is pretty bad tonight, cannot find the 2013 sign up thread.  If anyone has it bookmarked can you find it and link it here please?

You can call me Anna

eric :)

How much of the game is automated?  I saw the thread you mentioned and there seemed to be lots of manual data entry.  RA's API will allow you to automate that part of it.  I don't know if you are a programmer, or whether you're interested in automating it.  Part of the charm is the participation.  Like the game Monopoly, the computer version is just not as fun.  We can take this offline if you want to discuss it further.  Send me a PM.

Vegan Ang

Formerly sdnyc99

Reading this thread, I'm liking it here more and more and more.  

Thanks for being so welcoming and helpful, Eric!   

Angela 

What's the registration deadline? I'd be interested in joining if it's over here, but I don't know if I want to deal with posting on RWOL every week. :-(

Auhugh!!

Docket_Rocket

Who is the head admin around these parts?  I heard a name Eric?  If we move over here with the 2013 game then we should probably seek his blessing on it and set up a sub forum for the game.  I would bet there are some RA regualrs that would like in on oit as well.

I have no problem moving.

He just posted 3 posts above you.  He sounds he's OK with this.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

How much of the game is automated?  I saw the thread you mentioned and there seemed to be lots of manual data entry.  RA's API will allow you to automate that part of it.  I don't know if you are a programmer, or whether you're interested in automating it.  Part of the charm is the participation.  Like the game Monopoly, the computer version is just not as fun.  We can take this offline if you want to discuss it further.  Send me a PM.

As far as the automation goes we are using a excel spreadsheet with macros in it.  Each of the data reporting thread gets saved as a text file 1 page at a time.  From there it goes through an import macro to pull the data into the spreadsheet.  A quick human look at the data is done to see if it makes sense and then other tabs in the worksheet are HTML formatted so all we have to do is cut and paste the information.

The main portion of the manual work is on the individual to post their miles on the collection thread.

Registration test failed.

Bump for Zuben.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Bummer

ZubenElGenubi

Semi-hiker; semi-runner

Bump for Zuben.

Yo, I'm here.  I had just mentioned my possible interest in helping bring the 2013in2013 Club here in another thread.  With Eric's help, I think we could put together a great API mileage input/reporting page (like huenix / Scott did for the Miles Game and Van did for the challenges).

That would be an exciting prospect.  I wish I was smart enough to code API calls - and had access to a website that could do it.

I'll stick around and provide any help I can.

-Glenn

eric :)

What does this mean?

As I told Doug over email, I can create a plugin for the group, which would do all the data collection and tallying for you automatically.  The assumption is that everyone would log their mileage here.

I don't know what 2013 in 2013 is, but if I have to guess, then it's running 2013 miles for each person.  This is akin to RA's mileage groups (1000km, 1000 miles, 1500 miles, 2000 miles) so I have the software for that already.

eric, Each participant sets his/her own goals. So it varies.