Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Day fo Service Monday. (Read 17 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National Day of Service!

PADRunner

RD for me today. Supposed to help out the Red Cross today installing Smoke detectors.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am off today but slept in.  6 miles and kickboxing later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Treadmill for me today, probably 5 miles.  It's currently 18, feels like -4, so too cold for me.  Walking Ben is going to be nippy.

PAD - enjoy your rest day.

Damaris - have fun with the kickboxing and running.  Are you doing a class or a video?  How is recovery going from your hard racing?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Ginny, stay warm.  I hope Ben gets his business done quickly. Big grin

D, have a good run!

PAD, nice job.

No service for me today, but I have after-school program on Tuesdays so I'll count that for the week. Smile  I ran 8.5 this morning.  Nothing else fun planned for today; housework and maybe get started on the taxes.

Wandering Wally

Whoops! A whole week got by me before I realized I hadn't stopped by here. Last week it snowed. A lot. The wind blew it all over the place. Visibility was terrible and snowplows were out. So, I stayed inside and logged some time on the NordicTrack ski machine. The weekend was better. Got out and logged some miles on a rail trail. The city plows a section and the snowmobiles have the rest packed down pretty good. Temps are in the single digits. Not terrible, but it does take me 15-20 minutes to get warmed up. Once I'm warm I don't even notice the cold unless the wind is hitting me right in the face.

Rest day today. Hope everyone has a great week!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Docket_Rocket

Treadmill for me today, probably 5 miles.  It's currently 18, feels like -4, so too cold for me.  Walking Ben is going to be nippy.

PAD - enjoy your rest day.

Damaris - have fun with the kickboxing and running.  Are you doing a class or a video?  How is recovery going from your hard racing?

Video.  My Pilates instructor is out due to some rehearsals but I still want to burn some calories.  Recovery is going well.  I ran pretty fast yesterday, so I think the legs are fine.  I wouldn't call that hard racing, we were mostly prancing around the parks and stopping for margaritas and pictures, LOL.  Enjoy the TM.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Three on the TM for me, followed by weights. People at the gym today were annoying...more primping and flirting than working out. I don't care if you are only there to socialize, unless you insist on tying up the machine I am waiting to use

PADRunner

And the diagnosis is?

Lateral meniscus degeneration but no tear. evidence of iliotibial band friction syndrom and a mild lateral patellofemoral retinacular sprain.

Not sure what it all means but I'll live. Suggesting PT so I'll see how that goes.

Docket_Rocket

I hope it sounds worse than it really is?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

And the diagnosis is?

Lateral meniscus degeneration but no tear. evidence of iliotibial band friction syndrom and a mild lateral patellofemoral retinacular sprain.

Not sure what it all means but I'll live. Suggesting PT so I'll see how that goes.

Oh no, PAD.  Good luck with the PT.

URD #3 for me.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - is your ankle still sore, or is it the weather keeping you from running?

PAD - good that the meniscus isn't torn, so you won't need surgery, but the rest sounds pretty painful. How long do they think it will take to heal? Or did they tell you?

Damaris - you may not have raced, but you ran a lot of miles in a very short time. I know you're used to it, but it still needs some recovery time. Especially since you have so many marathons over the next couple of months.

Brilliant - good job on the 8.  Are you still trying to follow a plan, or just doing what you can?

MJ - do you use yaktrax or something like that to run in the snow?  I'm too afraid of falling to go fast on snow or ice, plus I have a TM in the basement, but I sometimes envy you who do run in snow.  I liked hiking in it, unless I was postholing or it was solid ice.

Margo - nice three.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

And the diagnosis is?

Farg

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, it's better, and I 'm going to give a walk/run test it tomorrow on the track.