Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Scallywompus 15-Mile 10-Mile and 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2066%20Scallywompus%2015%20and%2010%20Miler%20and%205K

BEFORE MY START

This was my 66th race of 2016 and my second 5K of the weekend of Nov 19 - 20. Scallywompus (www.scallywompus.com) has a series of races that gradually build up distances for those who are training for the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon/Half Marathon/10K in December.   Before the program starts, you can sign up to do all 4 events of your chosen distances at a discount price.   For those who want to participate but may not want to do the longer distances, there is also a 5K event at each of the races.  If you do all 4 of the race series, any distance, at the last event you get a nice medal signifying you did all 4 of them.   I did the 5K in all 4 of them so got a nice 'bottle opener' medal for that.

This particular event, the last of the year, had a 15-miler, a 10-miler, and a 5K.  As said, I did the 5K.  The 15-mile folks started at 7:30 a.m., the 10-miler folks started at 8 a.m. and the 5K folks went at 8:30 a.m. Event was started and finished at Hill Country Apartments, quite near University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA; where I work) so, since I was doing the 5K at 8:30, I got to sleep in a bit. Arrived with about an hour to go to 5K time - missed the start of the15-mile folks but got to see the 10-mile folks start - and wandered around taking some photos.

photo 005_zpseyiykrfn.jpg

iaapweb.com race management team members; they did course setup, timing results, etc.

photo 006_zpsekgz4k7b.jpg

photo 047_zpsmgdg0ukm.jpg

Our MC...he does a great job at all the Scallywompus events

photo 009_zpsrze5ykd3.jpg

10-miler folks getting ready to start

photo 007_zpss6lmmacq.jpg

photo 008_zpstshaokai.jpg

Petey, a very speedy doggie.  He did the 10-miler too.

photo 010_zpsixfcysyy.jpg

photo 011_zpsen6dbvw1.jpg

photo 014_zpspoxyhs8y.jpg

photo 015_zpsqegxgu2b.jpg

Two supporters here to cheer on the guy's wife who, I think, was doing the 10-miler also.

photo 016_zpszynm7yml.jpg

He's got his drinks all ready for whenever the finishers come in...

photo 017_zpsho7llfmt.jpg

Race Day registration volunteers

photo 018_zpssy0pzsoz.jpg

Water/Gatorade station volunteers, pre-start and at the finish line

photo 019_zpsx7ly97o2.jpg

photo 021_zps3xxp0twl.jpg

Music Man

photo 001_zpseasmen8k.jpg

My friend here is a speedwalker...he walks faster than I run!

photo 020_zps7vkdenpr.jpg

photo 002_zpszy90ddy9.jpg

I asked these two if they were representing that ref that 'stunk' with a bad call during the Texas-Kansas State football game; they told me no...they were 'roadkill", lol.

photo 003_zpsb7iy4n4s.jpg

photo 004_zpsmjiiw2dn.jpg

In the crowd at the 5K start...getting ready to go...

photo 022_zpsx9nkhcmu.jpg

photo 023_zpsf0j1m7mg.jpg

My friends Karen, Daisy, Jill, who all walked the course.

photo 024_zpskg0gihyj.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Course was on what is commonly called the "Valero Trailway" (unofficial title) as Valero Energy Corporation is headquartered quite near this trail, as is UTSA.  It is an off-road paved 'greenway' trail that is part of the multi-trail system San Antonio has built up over a number of years. From the apartment complex the 15-and-10-mile folks went down to the trailway and turned right to do their out-and-back routes.  We 5K folks turned right to do our out-and-back.  I am quite familiar with this trail as I run often on it, via other races, and also training runs since it is quite near my workplace.  The 5K was mainly flat, with a few short inclines to climb, but  nothing you could really call a 'hill."  Unless you don't do hills when you run or walk; then, of course, every incline is a hill for you.     I made the turn-around point and was heading back..and then my darn headset battery died.  I hate running without my music - luckily I always put an extra battery in my pocket just in case - so I stopped to change my battery...and then, klutz that I am, dropped the new battery in the grass beside the trail, so had to find that, lol.  I ended up with a 4-minute walk break instead of my usual 2-minute one. After I finally got myself together again, I ran non-stop all the way back to the finish. I figured with my extra walk break minutes I'd finish at about 38 - 39 minutes or so, as it usually takes me about 34 - 35 minutes to do a 5K.  But I surprised myself...I marked on my watch when I got to the 2-mile mark...and then when I got to the finish, I was really surprised to see I had done the 5K in 34:34 chip time.  That last 1.1 mile I did in 10:22...dang...I didn't even know I could do under an 11-minute mile, lol.  Guess I was feeling pretty good this morning; legs behaved well, even after already doing a 5K the day before.  Sweet.  I ended up 1st in my age group (60 - 64).  Of course, it DID help that there were only two IN my age group for the 5K, lol.

Our course monitor, who made sure all we 5K folks went the correct way; and then rode along on the course checking on us.

photo 025_zpswsfnapnz.jpg

photo 034_zpsphrov6rt.jpg

photo 026_zpszsiqhzbz.jpg

photo 027_zpsbhp7gn2f.jpg

photo 028_zpsj0i2co0s.jpg

photo 029_zpsu824vazp.jpg

photo 030_zpsewst3byt.jpg

photo 031_zpso4enxdbi.jpg

photo 032_zpsrcal2gw6.jpg

photo 033_zpsl1p4jpif.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Happy finisher with finisher medal.

photo 036_zpsg8yaqgyj.jpg

Finisher medal for this event

photo 096_zpsdv61oupo.jpg

2016 finisher medal signifying you ran one of the distances in all 4 races

photo 097_zpsnfmf3xow.jpg

First place award for each age group winner

photo 098_zpsbtbc6bcq.jpg

photo 099_zpserenw9if.jpg

Where's that Alamo Beer tent?  And the Kiolbassa?  Oh yeah....

photo 038_zpsvqdum87w.jpg

Thanks, Alamo Beer Guys!

photo 037_zpsj2xo94yw.jpg

photo 074_zpslrcvjgkm.jpg

"Mr. Scallywompus" himself...Bart Childers

photo 054_zpss0ludaya.jpg

photo 055_zps0beyke96.jpg

I look GREAT..when I stand next to a pretty lady, like my friend here...

photo 045_zpsbif6tlkj.jpg

5K female award winners

photo 061_zpsm9ukoano.jpg

Umm, yeah, I better pass on this...

photo 079_zpsgknt4vxw.jpg

And there was wine too...served up by this lovely lady...who looks great even when you don't drink alcohol... 

photo 083_zpsm827m8xz.jpg

And lots of "happy finishers", sponsors, supporters of the runners and walkers, volunteers, etc.

Thanks for your service!  After the race, some of these folks were scheduled to deploy this same night

photo 062_zpsprnyr6yh.jpg

photo 063_zpsu1oqejns.jpg

photo 064_zpsdikruu2p.jpg

photo 065_zps6mynrca9.jpg

photo 039_zpsi2huvw93.jpg

photo 040_zps0yqmsfgn.jpg

photo 041_zpsdcbzxoah.jpg

photo 042_zpsrndwvglp.jpg

photo 043_zpsyjr2hfxd.jpg

These guys are all cancer doctors....ironic that I should encounter them, lol

photo 044_zpso9amrlpq.jpg

photo 048_zpstxudqrdq.jpg

photo 049_zpszsjzemq1.jpg

photo 050_zpsmehkza97.jpg

photo 066_zpsd30qyoag.jpg

photo 069_zpsexzjxlz1.jpg

photo 070_zps3p0mxjbc.jpg

photo 071_zpsoudrnjuh.jpg

photo 072_zpsscr2ja69.jpg

photo 073_zpszqhpig1a.jpg

photo 075_zpspjcoknj1.jpg

photo 076_zpsuua7yi0b.jpg

photo 077_zpsym1uow6d.jpg

photo 078_zpsdisdehi3.jpg

photo 084_zpsnsrobdqr.jpg

photo 090_zpsp0zgsba0.jpg

photo 091_zpsp0quhtzo.jpg

photo 092_zpsjabozii3.jpg

Project Phoenix San Antonio - community action group, volunteering for lots of various causes

photo 035_zpsaq1xvd0c.jpg

photo 088_zpsqttkcow9.jpg

photo 087_zpstidmbl4d.jpg

photo 089_zpsosjngocw.jpg

Team RWB Veterans Group....a lot of the folks here are members of both Team RWB and Project Phoenix.

photo 086_zpsdsuoo6bv.jpg

photo 085_zps7uhxqxva.jpg

photo 093_zpsfoaxqxbv.jpg

photo 094_zpstvbus0ua.jpg

photo 095_zpsntmsbnr6.jpg

EPILOGUE

The motto of the Scallywompus events is "Come for the race.  Stay for the party."  And they aren't kidding.  Besides the 4-series of races for marathon/half training, there are also other races throughout the year such as "Carnival of Venice 5K" and the "Midummer's Night Women's 5K."  All the races have really nice after-parties with tons of post-race goodies, including beer from major sponsor local brewery Alamo Beer, sausages from Kiolbassa, a whiskey concoction from Rebecca Creek, free give-aways from lots of other sponsors, and even a raffle for some very nice door prizes - at one event I recall that someone won a big-screen TV.  DJ (is that even a term anymore?  I'm old, I don't know what the new 'trend' is now) playing music for everyone; really unique hand-made 'bottle awards" of various sizes for the age-group places; very nice tech tee race shirt for each race; and much more. Another nice thing at these events is what is done for the walkers.  For these events, walkers are not included in with the runners for awards; the walkers are classified as 'competitive walkers" and they get their own awards too, in each 'competitive walking" age group.  Nice.  What's not to like?  Scallywompus events are GREAT!! Their events are definitely a continuing 'staple" on my race calendar of the races I do each year.

MUCHO THANKS to all the folks who made this one happen for we participants:  all the sponsors, volunteers, the apartment complex residents and management who let us invade their space for a while; UTSA for allowing the use of their parking facilities; and a shout-out to Bart Childers and his helpers, who organize all these events each year - putting all these together every year takes a lot of work!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt