Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos - Be My Valentine 5K (Read 15 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.  

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%209%20Be%20My%20Valentine%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 9th race of 2017, held on Feb 12, was the Be My Valentine 5K, put on by iaapweb, a local race management company, and sponsored by Alamo Brewery/Alamo Beer – love their beer! – and the start/finish was located on the grounds of the brewery.    I arrived with about an hour or so to go till start time and got some pre-start photos.

Lots of people in all kinds of costumes, outfits, etc. for this one.  Most people wore some type of red color.  I decided to be different and wore this…with my new socks….appropriate for me, right?

photo Dork socks_zpsuwmgg7qf.jpg

Alamo Beer grounds is a busy place today...

photo 009_zpszgngykdy.jpg

Me and friends Karen and Bernadette.  The three of us do a lot of the same races over the year.

photo 002_zpsvvx1nqgl.jpg

photo 015_zpsyixxpvuw.jpg

Me with amazing friend, Nick.

photo 016_zps7p5cdpbb.jpg

My friends Joe..and Yeti...one of the coolest dogs ever.  He is the Rin Tin Tin of the poodle family, lol, the stuff he can do...

photo 006_zpsodnpt14i.jpg

One of my personal hereos...fellow survivor Terry....docs said she would be dead in 5 years...and it's now been 11 or so years....this lady lives Never Give Up.

photo 033_zpsdqg2xtsf.jpg

Music Man and one of the MCs for today

photo 022_zpsm4kl76op.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, et.

photo 001_zpsbqtcp5b9.jpg

photo 003_zpsww9jk0xh.jpg

photo 004_zps2kcxihrd.jpg

photo 005_zps2905zeul.jpg

photo 007_zpswvljx2pj.jpg

photo 008_zpsnc6gxxwn.jpg

photo 010_zps5dyedcuo.jpg

photo 011_zpsjtmtejhd.jpg

photo 012_zpsmdqmseq0.jpg

photo 013_zpsyup1mbth.jpg

photo 017_zpsnfsaremy.jpg

photo 018_zpsrtvfjcbv.jpg

photo 019_zpsw5xjg9mh.jpg

photo 020_zpstg44tpfr.jpg

photo 021_zpsbuzckhlm.jpg

photo 024_zpsji2u9e0n.jpg

If you are ever going to be in San Antonio area, check out the Scallywompus events, they are great fun!

photo 025_zpss0reytey.jpg

photo 026_zpsx4y2lil1.jpg

photo 027_zps9psikcz4.jpg

photo 028_zpsrx3sobwo.jpg

photo 029_zpstxjwjbny.jpg

photo 031_zpsd25ovzkt.jpg

photo 032_zpsjexm5fv2.jpg

photo 034_zpsajjmhh2g.jpg

photo 036_zpsposevkm6.jpg

photo 037_zpsw5vvmior.jpg

Another great race to do, in February every year.  Street2Feet 5K, helping the homeless.  Love this race and I have done every one of these since this event started.

photo 038_zpsrifdqon9.jpg

These ladies are wearing the race shirts participants got.  Depending on your 'status' you could choose a shirt that said one of the following:  I'm Single; I'm Taken;  It's Complicated.

photo 039_zpsqmjidw6c.jpg

Into the Start Line area, getting ready to go....

photo 040_zpshasqo2wq.jpg

photo 041_zps24wmiuqi.jpg

photo 042_zpsrcpdrgh2.jpg

photo 043_zpsvylxr4fj.jpg

photo 044_zpsvpdwxeyy.jpg

Two folks above us on the Hays Street Bridge.  No, he is not flippin' us off, lol. One of my Team RWB team-mates who I think spotted me and gave me a wave...in his own personal style, lol...

photo 045_zpslxownrde.jpg

ON THE COURSE

And we are off and running!   Started on the grounds of the brewery, then wound around nearby streets, including crossing over San Antonio’s historic Hays Street Bridge. Course was a tad hilly in some places, but not too bad overall.  After climbing one hill, it was down that street to a turn-around point, then back the way we’d come – with a downhill this time – and back to Alamo Beer to finish up.

I did my usual 8-min run/2 min walk thing and took 2 walk breaks, getting some on-course photos during those.  After that, it was non-stop for me to the finish for the last 1.3 miles.  Even after doing a bit of a hilly 5K the day before – Red Dress Run 5K - I was feeling pretty good and finished in 33:19 chip time.   This is a very popular annual event, so lots of people show up for this one, so I did not expect to place in my age group, and I was right.  I finished 5th in my age group of 60 – 69 males.

photo 046_zpstnk8dmow.jpg

photo 047_zpsmplb6il5.jpg

photo 048_zpsnkhvgryv.jpg

photo 049_zpshnklu5g7.jpg

Can see people above on the Hays Street Bridge at this point.  I will be there soon enough

photo 050_zpsbslsqzjg.jpg

photo 051_zpsfeg5gljj.jpg

photo 052_zpsmf2zkh6q.jpg

photo 053_zpsgpnj8qeo.jpg

On the bridge now, looking at the street I was just on

photo 054_zps5rvss8f7.jpg

On the bridge...

photo 055_zpsz4ozakul.jpg

photo 056_zpsw8djxvtq.jpg

Back on pavement, after climbing a hill to this point....heading for the turn around point

photo 057_zpsafnbs1xu.jpg

photo 058_zpsht8bwgmx.jpg

photo 059_zpsdwculnpt.jpg

photo 060_zpsfl1ek6vy.jpg

photo 061_zpse2b4kk2i.jpg

photo 062_zpsudr0twru.jpg

photo 063_zpsaq6dev4p.jpg

photo 064_zpsamvmfduh.jpg

photo 065_zpskua88eqo.jpg

photo 066_zpse7yubalc.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

With my friend Silvia post-race.  I came up behind her right before the finish and knew it was her...I'd know her Great Legs anywhere, even from behind.     Called out to her, and she lead me on a merry chase to the finish, beating me in...but great motivation for me to keep on moving at the end, lol.

photo 067_zps36l52xsq.jpg

photo 068_zpsdyosulvw.jpg

The lovely Ceci of iaapweb....race organizer extra-ordinaire

photo 083_zpsslffgsx8.jpg

When Alamo Beer hosts, they throw a great party.  Alamo Beer for any participants who wanted one – yep, I definitely had one – plus Kiolbassa sausage, choice of sausage stuffed with jalapenos or cheddar – and, of course, lots of photo ops.

Eugene, owner of Alamo Beer.  Thanks for all the refreshment, Gene!

photo 075_zpsaewuttht.jpg

I found an Alamo Beer dog, lol...

photo 078_zpsrpa2ilij.jpg

photo 076_zpsmodugi18.jpg

For most of the race I was in proximity of my friend, Lisa (to my right).  Somehow I just seem to find all the ladies at the races... 

photo 070_zpsqrfufev5.jpg

photo 069_zps14zitdgv.jpg

photo 072_zpsjsfa1h3g.jpg

photo 074_zps6nlo44uc.jpg

photo 079_zpskrm2q2wn.jpg

photo 080_zpstvmiwobe.jpg

photo 081_zpslu6ndzku.jpg

photo 082_zpsvkt4gzvo.jpg

photo 084_zpsvsvxjewo.jpg

These guy ran the course in these outfits, even as humid as it was..

photo 085_zpswb7ackm3.jpg

Awwww.. caught these two finishing up...

photo 086_zpsg2gadtss.jpg

Dancers at the finish line, cheering everyone in...

photo 087_zpsn17t5ycc.jpg

MC Bob and Volunteer Extraordinaire Debra...thanks for being out there for us!

photo 088_zps0ohqfjkl.jpg

photo 089_zpsb5afow77.jpg

photo 090_zpslhopqphq.jpg

photo 091_zpspt6tig7f.jpg

photo 092_zpsnnb1ixfq.jpg

photo 093_zps1y4zo5nc.jpg

photo 094_zpsfjhtzwmp.jpg

photo 095_zpsxshoahpc.jpg

photo 096_zpscqe04vjy.jpg

photo 098_zpswhnka1g8.jpg

photo 099_zpslv2e7kzv.jpg

I don't think so....but nice outfit!

photo 100_zps4hwoyt58.jpg

Yet another race I will be doing this year...

photo 101_zpswsq0gnma.jpg

photo 102_zpsyqwevt3w.jpg

photo 103_zpsagbpqkcx.jpg

photo 104_zpsluwcxscw.jpg

And this race too - Shamrock 5K..the oldest St. Patrick's Day race in San Antonio, formerly known as Donovan's.

photo 105_zpsixydsyrd.jpg

Thanks guys for the timing, results, course, etc

photo 106_zps8j6mo44v.jpg

EPILOGUE

I do this one just about every year, it is such a great and fun event.  Nice long-sleeve quality tech tee, great post-race goodies, nice course, finisher medals to everyone, nice age group awards, some very entertaining outfits worn by the participants, etc.  Definitely will be doing this one again.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people who made this one happen for us, volunteers, all the law enforcement people, sponsors/vendors, law enforcement, Alamo Beer, iaapweb for the course setup, results, our music man, etc., all the volunteers out there for us, and the many more who made this one happen for all we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Scotty, that outfit is great!

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Thought about you a couple of weekends ago on my way through SA to Edinburg 10k.

Someday maybe I can visit and run the route with you again.

GinnyinPA

I love the socks.