Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Buffalo Hump 5-and-10 Miles (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 68th race of 2015 and the first of 2 races I did on Dec 19, 2015. Held at Comanche Park in San Antonio, this event was put on by my running club, the San Antonio Roadrunners, the largest running club in San Antonio. The event supported local Brackenridge High School’s cross-country running program. There was a 10-mile race and a 5-mile race. I did the 5-mile event. I haven’t done 5 miles in a few months, so surprised myself by finishing under an hour – 57:12 chip time - which ended up being good enough for 3rd place in my age group. The medals were unique for this race, a small medal on a chain – similar to dog tags – with the medal being two-sided with one side being an Indian head and the other being a buffalo, similar to the old-time Indian Head Nickel.

BEFORE THE START

8 a.m. start time. Arrived on site with about 45 minutes to start time and the temp was a chilly 39 degrees – which is dang cold for we South Texans – lots of folks all wrapped up in jackets, hats, etc. I wore my long-sleeved shirt with a base layer. I felt okay, but my hands really feel it when it gets cold so I wore my thicker pair of running gloves. I got a few photos before the start.  Green bibs folks were doing the 5, white bibs folks doing the 10.

photo 002_zpsidser8ba.jpg

photo 007_zps89gntshk.jpg

photo 008_zpsr4kedsqg.jpg

photo 003_zpsl2cluzgj.jpg

photo 004_zpsbmkupvfa.jpg

photo 005_zpsbjlll1ww.jpg

photo 006_zpshretoiry.jpg

Team RWB area - a veteran's organization of which I am a member.

photo 013_zpsb5gq3nhh.jpg

photo 012_zpsuuiu0nmh.jpg

photo 010_zpsb9iiv8s6.jpg

Cecy, Ernie and Roy, a few of my 'motivational heroes'....they really personify "Never Give Up!"

photo 011_zpsz82g8ild.jpg

photo 014_zpszh0nwspd.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Comanche Park is a very nice park with paved running trails that go quite a long ways, with some bridges crossing over the creek (river?) and a man-made lake in the park. The 5-mile folks went out on the paved trails, did a loop around the man-made lake and then it was back the way we came. I think the 10 mile folks went out a bit farther than we did and then came back the same way. When I got to the 3-mile point, one of the volunteers told me “Almost done!” and I jokingly replied “Well, I’ve already done 6 miles cuz, you know, 1 mile on a younger runner’s legs equals 2 miles on an old man’s legs.” I felt pretty good the whole way and even managed to run into the finish nonstop for about the last mile and a half.

At the start area;  Roy carried the American Flag on his 5-miler.

photo 015_zpspoplykfv.jpg

photo 016_zpssfxkh16n.jpg

My friend, Michele....incognito...

photo 017_zpspnjisjwm.jpg

..and now cognito....

photo 018_zpsfkdwdecu.jpg

The infamous 'old hipster" Bob Ligget (with bandana) and friends.  Speedy too..and he's in my age group...SIGH...

photo 019_zpsvlfhj962.jpg

He did the 10-miler and she did the 5-Miler.   Then later they were both at the evening 5K I did.

photo 022_zpsliwkgbeh.jpg

Getting ready to go....

photo 020_zpswgqfcays.jpg

..after the playing of the National Anthem, with flag raised...

photo 021_zpsnrghmcgf.jpg

....and we're off!  Everyone in both races started together.

photo 023_zpsxrcxphdz.jpg

I don't know who that white dog belonged to, but he did several miles on the course with the runners. Very sweet dog.  One lady after the event told me she was feeling a bit tired and getting ready to walk and it was almost like the dog sensed it, cuz he came up to her and started running beside her; she said it was almost like he was her therapy dog.

photo 024_zpsbjzmjvrf.jpg

photo 033_zps9ebgzcub.jpg

photo 025_zpsmwfosnqn.jpg

photo 028_zpshttt31gc.jpg

photo 029_zpsu5tmth3o.jpg

photo 030_zpsdcsgw22g.jpg

Still a bit chilly out here...mist coming off the water as we cross this bridge

photo 031_zpszksvgrnf.jpg

photo 032_zpsc83ap4tt.jpg

photo 034_zpsdujduzw1.jpg

photo 035_zpsh7nydfkb.jpg

photo 036_zpsze8iv9cr.jpg

Some of the 5-mile leaders already heading for the finish

photo 037_zpsxcbpiyrp.jpg

Going around the park lake

photo 038_zps1lhfwdhi.jpg

photo 039_zpsrvl51bhi.jpg

photo 040_zpsrhxdzyix.jpg

photo 041_zpsxmpazzkp.jpg

photo 042_zpskq8bh1yo.jpg

photo 043_zpsqyfwvwfo.jpg

photo 044_zps7cdied5t.jpg

The flag on the path across the lake...so I knew this was my pal, Roy,  heading back to the finish

photo 045_zpso1x3sk75.jpg

photo 046_zps2azcjcv8.jpg

photo 047_zpsoslzmhxx.jpg

Another bridge to cross.  We crossed a total of 3 bridges on the route.

photo 048_zpszxy9yxf7.jpg

photo 049_zps8lgb08ma.jpg

photo 050_zpskkvan6s5.jpg

Team member RWB Ernie doing his loop

photo 051_zpshxnxyrfk.jpg

photo 052_zpsu6qxwwbk.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Yay!  5 miles done in under an hour

photo 053_zpszjuejyyw.jpg

Nice post-race goodies after the finish….oh yeah, found the beer…

photo 059_zpscdj7g3pt.jpg

Beer courtesy of local area microbrewery Ranger Creek....good stuff

photo 091_zpsncmmqrbb.jpg

And there was also Kiolbassa sausage wraps – my favorite! I ended up having two.

photo 063_zpsgl5ycvsk.jpg

photo 065_zpswvgb84pb.jpg

Doggie got his share of sausages from some of the participants.

photo 064_zpsp21cm303.jpg

Here with one of the park rangers.  Such a sweet dog; hope the owner was found photo 081_zps3ojii4b9.jpg

And lots of ‘Happy Finishers’, volunteers, etc.

photo 054_zpscihvgxmb.jpg

photo 055_zpsxkbf2ajb.jpg

photo 056_zpscbwpzed3.jpg

photo 057_zpsbkcfudou.jpg

photo 060_zpssko8mz4a.jpg

photo 061_zpsbkv6ij0r.jpg

photo 062_zpso3ypplks.jpg

The guy on the left won his category for the 5-miler in the '80 and up' division...wow. I want to be like him at that age!

photo 066_zps7ea8vpa0.jpg

Official club photographer, Tom; he ran up and down the course carrying that camera and tripod - and pretty speedily too.

photo 067_zpsjbfzdmu4.jpg

My friend, Liza (right), former member of New Zealand Olympics running team, was first female in the 10.  Her very speedy husband got an award too.

photo 068_zpswbl5uwbk.jpg

photo 069_zpsgtzbjjvp.jpg

photo 070_zpsl2fjuqxc.jpg

photo 071_zps07acqqyc.jpg

photo 072_zpsmtkuvzpp.jpg

He PR-ed today...congrats!

photo 073_zpsakla1otw.jpg

photo 074_zpsudszguii.jpg

photo 075_zpsuaqg9o7i.jpg

photo 076_zpsmkr0dmsl.jpg

photo 077_zpsk7kekwxt.jpg

photo 089_zpsucyqtq4w.jpg

photo 090_zps8xabbpzv.jpg

My friend, Charyisse (right) apparently needed a quick nap...

photo 078_zpsdjtnpd9d.jpg

..it took me to wake her up...

photo 079_zps4uionumg.jpg

Another runner dog....he and his human got an age group award

photo 085_zpsgc3z1ujl.jpg

Some Team RWB folks...

photo 082_zpsdt101nwk.jpg

photo 083_zps2lynjowv.jpg

photo 084_zpsdpdwoowu.jpg

Wait, wait...not all of us are quite ready yet...

photo 086_zps85oatgor.jpg

OK...now we're ready...

photo 087_zpshwozbd1o.jpg

One of the littlest participants..

photo 092_zps9rldioew.jpg

EPILOGUE

I’ve lived in San Antonio 21 years and this is the first time I have ever been to Comanche Park, but it won’t be the last. Very nice park with good trails and good facilities – indoor restrooms, water available at the park, covered pavilions, etc. The race courses were well thought out, allowing participants to get a nice tour of the park. Very unique race medals. And Mother Nature did cooperate by having it get warmer pretty quick after the sun finally rose, allowing everyone to have a very nice and – at least weather-wise - comfortable race experience. Would definitely recommend this event to my fellow runners and definitely would do it again.

Mucho thanks to all the people out there for us that made this one happen: volunteers, sponsors, park police, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That looks like a lovely place to run.  I do envy you all your greenways.  Congratulations on the double, especially since one was a longer than usual race.  Great job.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Nice job!

Scotty has put more people's faces on the internet than Facebook.

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

That was a cool looking dog. Smile