Beginners and Beyond

MonDailies (Read 36 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Halfway through this vacation and already exhausted.  I think I'm doing it right.  I spent yesterday recovering from my marathon by hiking for four hours.

Congrats on the marathon - sounds like it wasn't an easy one by any stretch. Relative to your PR, it looks like an awesome run given how little run specific training you are doing. The 4th in AG is definitely a bummer...but still pretty good! Would love to hear more about the race.

Docket...still have to get back and see how your race went! I will get there when work allows, especially since I always enjoy your race descriptions.

Berto...I'd say the half was impacted quite a bit. It was pretty dramatic the difference between the flats and downhills v. going uphill. It was like my legs just couldn't push when I had to climb. It made for some pretty interesting splits, and lots of leap-frogging people on the course. Leap-frogging is about the only thing that gets under my skin during races too, so I had to focus on just letting go and accept that it was going to happen.

SD...I love vacation races too! Hope you are enjoying your trip.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Cyberic

Halfway through this vacation and already exhausted.  I think I'm doing it right.  I spent yesterday recovering from my marathon by hiking for four hours.

I realize I did did not congratulate you on your marathon. I was looking for the RR, and there wasn't, and it slipped my mind. Lots of elevation change IIRC? Good job! You're in the 45-49 AG now, aren't you. 3:18 is an easy BQ then.

I decided to take a short regeneration run. 2.6 miles, 24 minutes. I think it will help my recovery. It's a beautiful day out, today is a holiday, and I couldn't help myself.

RunningOnSand

Nice racing going on here this weekend, everyone. Please post RR's. I always love reading them.

Whiskers, it seems like Maine should be nice and cool? Or maybe I'm imagining things. In any case I'm sure it'll be gorgeous and your race will be memorable.

So I've just decided my body is rebelling and is still recovering from last week. Last week was the first week my coach had me do 2 workouts plus a LR (Tues/Fri/Sat), and the LR was the day after my 2nd workout, so it obviously went poorly (the LR...my HR was pretty elevated most of the run, despite the easy pace). Sunday was a SRD, and today I ran with my speedy friend and, while the pace we were running isn't crazy, it's a whole hell of a lot faster than my usual easy paces and since we didn't run any "warmup" miles, I crashed and burned like halfway through. Sigh. I need to just eat humble pie and ask for us to slow down on my easy days. Anyway, 6.5 miles done and now I'm trying to recover by stretching and drinking lots of water.

Docket_Rocket

Aiming for 4-6 miles after work. We leave tomorrow morning for vacation (!!!) for 2 weeks so there are approximately 10,356 things that I need to do between now and when our flight leaves. Plus I have a new hire starting today so work will be extra crazy.

I find the more I run hills, the less terrible they are. I did a hilly HM in April and for the 8 weeks before it, focused on adding a lot of hills during my easy runs plus some hill repeats and I felt pretty proud of myself on race day. It wasn't a goal race though so I wasn't killing myself but much better than expected.

Good racing this weekend--congrats Cyber, DR and SIAR!

Signed up for a July 4th 10K in Maine. Road races during vacation makes me happy

I did that this time around (on the TM because I have no hills). I didn’t feel it improved my performance on them; it only improve on the fact that my quads are not in pain today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I find the more I run hills, the less terrible they are. 

Signed up for a July 4th 10K in Maine. Road races during vacation makes me happy

I tend to agree on the hills.  For me training on hills doesn't necessarily make them any easier, but they do seem to take less energy out of me than when I don't train on hills, so it's more about what I have left after cresting the hill.

Good luck with your 10k.  I'm only doing 4 miles.  On the 4th.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

KCRuns

Looks like there was some great racing this weekend!  Congrats Cyber, SIAR, Docket and Baboon!!

I got 10 Saturday, 4.5 yesterday and I should get around 3 tonight with my group.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Baboon and Docket - Congrats on your races!  Sorry, I've been slow to catch up over the weekend.

RoS - Pretty tough to schedule a LR after a hard workout.  Hope you can recover and get back into the swing of things.

RE:  Hills.  I hate them.  I suck at them.  Therefore, I run more of them.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Cyberic

RE:  Hills.  I hate them.  I suck at them.  Therefore, I run more of them.

I should do that, but I have tons of excuses for not doing it.

Well I got my rep work in. Holy crap it was hot out there. Ran on a different track which was sweet. Nice and springy!

6x400 w 400 rec

Target: 1:21-20

Splits: 1:20, 20, 20, 19, 18, 18

Felt pretty good

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Well I got my rep work in. Holy crap it was hot out there. Ran on a different track which was sweet. Nice and springy!

6x400 w 400 rec

Target: 1:21-20

Splits: 1:20, 20, 20, 19, 18, 18

Felt pretty good

Nice. I just (re)checked the Daniels color plans. Interesting.

Nice. I just (re)checked the Daniels color plans. Interesting.

Thanks. Yeah I thought I’d give it a whirl. Got any thoughts on it? His specific programs look way too complex for me lol...but these look ok.  Plan on doing this up until around 8 weeks out from my goal Half, then I will start a short HM specific program that I used before.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

No specific thoughts, no. I just couldn't remember what I didn't like about his color plans, so I checked them out. They're pretty general purpose, and that's cool, but maybe that's why I didn't really notice them before, early in my running life.

I'm kinda trying to figure out what I'll do for my marathon, that's why I'm taking my books out.

Right now I ruled out Pfitz, as it is too strict for me.

The Daniels 2Q plan is interesting, but 18 weeks of a long weekday workout like that seems like a lot. Still is my favorite "canned plan" right now.

Hansons... fits my tastes better than Pfitz does, but still very strict. I also find it is not high mileage enough. Although I could do a Hansons+20% or something like that.

Or it could be a Daniels 2Q inspired plan, for which I would sometimes swap the very long mid-week workout for two shorter workouts (Tuesday and Thursday).

I don't know. I have the whole week to decide.

Half Crazy K 2.0

5 miles. No matter where I run, there are hills. I still suck at them.

onemile

No specific thoughts, no. I just couldn't remember what I didn't like about his color plans, so I checked them out. They're pretty general purpose, and that's cool, but maybe that's why I didn't really notice them before, early in my running life.

I'm kinda trying to figure out what I'll do for my marathon, that's why I'm taking my books out.

Right now I ruled out Pfitz, as it is too strict for me.

The Daniels 2Q plan is interesting, but 18 weeks of a long weekday workout like that seems like a lot. Still is my favorite "canned plan" right now.

Hansons... fits my tastes better than Pfitz does, but still very strict. I also find it is not high mileage enough. Although I could do a Hansons+20% or something like that.

Or it could be a Daniels 2Q inspired plan, for which I would sometimes swap the very long mid-week workout for two shorter workouts (Tuesday and Thursday).

I don't know. I have the whole week to decide.

Did you know you can make your own plan? You don't have to use a canned plan.

Sorry. Couldn't help it. 

Cyberic

Did you know you can make your own plan? You don't have to use a canned plan.

Sorry. Couldn't help it. 

I will, I will. Thanks for reminding me.