Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Luckenbach Outlaw Half Marathon and 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2024%20Luckenbach%20Outlaw%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 24th race of 2017 was the Luckenbach Texas Outlaw 5K. There was also a half-marathon, which was the main event.  Luckenbach is quite a famous little venue for music, events and, of course, that famous little song of its name. Very laid back venue, quite a nice place to relax, and a really nice place for this event, which has been going on for 5 years now, if I remember correctly.  Luckenbach is about an hour and 20 minutes from where I live, so I was up early for the drive, arriving onsite with just under an hour to go to the 8 am start time.  Since I’d already picked up my packet the day before, I had plenty of time to wander around and get some pre-start photos.

The quiet start/finish line before everyone was all lined up..

photo 021_zpsveqpiy5t.jpg photo 003_zpsp8zbhvag.jpg

These were the awards for the half folks

photo 004_zpsm0rw64xz.jpg

Ring this bell if you get a PR today

photo 063_zpsu1twrbl2.jpg

Shortly after I arrived, one of the first people I encountered was this fellow cancer survivor.  We had a nice chat.

photo 005_zpsio73btf2.jpg

He and his wife were doing the half

photo 006_zpsh2m0vikr.jpg

Saw one of my favorite running ladies in San Antonio, my friend Daisy.  She did the half.

photo 016_zpsnq3jmyu3.jpg

I also encountered a few of the Animal Kingdom Luckenbach residents.  The cats and chickens all seemed to get along.

photo 009_zpsdrg83wqt.jpg

photo 011_zpspsxpohfy.jpg

Want a massage before or after the race?  These folks were here to do just that for you.

photo 017_zpsgaen7opo.jpg

Others

photo 007_zps610o2wvz.jpg

photo 008_zpsmztuwond.jpg

photo 010_zpsowpmx2aa.jpg

photo 012_zpszx3ixutf.jpg

photo 013_zps80zk2hw6.jpg

photo 014_zpsjfff3o7g.jpg

photo 015_zps5buhye4m.jpg

photo 018_zpsbriniz3x.jpg

photo 019_zps6e8x0rmg.jpg

photo 020_zps9arpgzo2.jpg

photo 023_zps7stujuwh.jpg

photo 024_zpscy5zavc6.jpg

Getting ready to start and climb some hills....

photo 022_zps0jwfcyth.jpg

ON THE COURSE

It was a bit chilly this April morning out in the country, so I wore a top shirt, and then the shirt I was going to do the race in.  Took off my top shirt and got lined up, and then we were off.  Half and 5K folks all started together. This was an out-and-back course for both distances. Course began on a dirt-and-gravel road, took us up a small hill to a paved road, went down that and turned left onto another paved road, climbed another hill, then level for a short bit, then down a hill, then level to the turn-around point for the 5K folks – the half folks went on their way here, and they had plenty of hills on their course, both out and back – and then back the way we came. Of course, that downhill we 5K folks did on the way out to our turn-around point was now our uphill, which was our longest hill of our course. And we had a bit of a downhill too, right before we hit the level ground that finally took us into the finish line.

I think this photo turned out well...about 1/4 mile into the race.  We had some dark clouds hovering, but it stayed dry for us. As a retired old vet,  Love the flag right in the middle of the pack.... God Bless America!

photo 025_zpsjguncr94.jpg

photo 026_zpsaj43hznk.jpg

photo 027_zpsqrooe4ih.jpg

photo 028_zpsfc0alqaq.jpg

photo 029_zpsn6tnhw2j.jpg

I have made the 5K turn-around now and am heading back to the beer!

photo 030_zpsaerkq4bv.jpg

photo 031_zpsjsv6fevv.jpg

photo 032_zpsgqqvwfon.jpg

My friend Daisy, heading for those half hills..

photo 033_zpswmoia3t7.jpg

photo 034_zps2h2f3bev.jpg

photo 035_zpsxriabsms.jpg

photo 036_zps5bnhn0nw.jpg

photo 037_zpscnzqek7v.jpg

photo 038_zpsspmawedh.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Glad I had that top shirt to put back on since the wind was blowing a bit.  Got that, got some water, did a cool down walk, sat for a bit just relaxing, and then off to get some random photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.   I was there for a while so got a few photos too of a few of the earlier half-marathon finishers.  All the half-marathon finishers got a finisher medal.  5K folks got a medal if they placed in their age groups.

Done!

photo 040_zpsqfytwhji.jpg

Yeah, this guy had the right idea, post-race.  Where's the beer?

photo 056_zpsw0mx2md0.jpg

Found it!

photo 057_zpsxgdzp5sj.jpg

Ahhhhhhh.....

photo 060_zpsmsiq3lfx.jpg

There was also two types of sausage, along with beans and potato salad

photo 058_zps9s7v56db.jpg

photo 059_zpsybxetwwo.jpg

photo 039_zpsf6neemth.jpg

photo 041_zpslpmjtbl0.jpg

photo 042_zpsnkj0ucvf.jpg

photo 043_zpsco9poitn.jpg

photo 044_zpsb9mu8lh9.jpg

photo 045_zpsel1cjcc6.jpg

This guy is modeling the race shirt

photo 046_zpsxi21cjb6.jpg

Willie would have loved these ladies, they were a hoot!

photo 047_zpsydcjgh6x.jpg

photo 049_zpsfwbneohv.jpg

photo 048_zpscuiinhec.jpg

photo 050_zpso3ai8m4k.jpg

Race Director Mitch, cracking me up...

photo 051_zpsgh79dtlp.jpg

iRun Texas in the truck...doing the results, etc.

photo 052_zpshmffk5yu.jpg

My favorite shoe company!  I love my ASICS Nimbus.

photo 053_zpsoj4l5bca.jpg

photo 054_zps1ar43qob.jpg

photo 055_zpshwhamvqg.jpg

photo 061_zpsgsyyxzeu.jpg

photo 062_zpsjufpxvth.jpg

photo 079_zpspy0psonl.jpg

photo 068_zpsyw3vozer.jpg

Mitch getting ready to do 5K awards

photo 064_zpshoqmbnb6.jpg

photo 065_zpsdzpq170n.jpg

photo 066_zpsqxitbrbe.jpg

photo 067_zpsc16aa3pr.jpg

photo 069_zpsgvwpdrlt.jpg

photo 070_zpsxkxcdk3b.jpg

photo 071_zpsafxsalhx.jpg

photo 072_zpswpka4imm.jpg

photo 073_zpscxn9tjhc.jpg

photo 074_zpsodu5h0ul.jpg

photo 075_zpsg5ihv59a.jpg

photo 078_zpszq8ux4eb.jpg

The age places went 4-deep, which was nice...cuz I was 4th in my age group, with a time of 34:02

photo 076_zpszeg21rdf.jpg

photo 077_zpsyglrkwu5.jpg

A few of the half marathon folks that had come in...

photo 080_zpsj7qwhksj.jpg

photo 082_zpsugsizjgj.jpg

photo 083_zpsnova1tlg.jpg

photo 084_zps0lgiz9ts.jpg

This guy carried the flag for the entire half course

photo 085_zpscp6tlofh.jpg

photo 087_zpswgaj5emc.jpg

Half marathon finisher medals/5K age group medal

photo 088_zpshwm5dk6r.jpg

photo 089_zpsx863nqry.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very fun event.  I’ve done 3 of the 5….missed one last year because of an injury and one I was out of town for; but, whenever I can, I try to do this one.  Lots of really great people turning out for this one, very unique location, lots of post-race goodies, several vendors, really nicely designed and unique tech tee race shirt, unique age group awards for the half folks which, in my opinion, is as it should be, they earned those with their hilly course.  Definitely – for me anyway – a fun event.  Of course I only do the 5K so I’m sure a few of those half folks might disagree with me, lol.

MUCHO thanks also to all folks that made this one possible for we participants; the sponsors, the volunteers, the law enforcement/security folks out there for us, iRun Texas for putting on a great event, and doing the timing, results, etc, the folks of Luckenbach for letting us invade their space– they actually do have a population there…I think it’s “8” or something like that, lol -, the musicians who entertained us, the folks who prepared and served all the food and beer …et al…all the folks who contributed for we participants.     THANK YOU.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Nice report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page