Beginners and Beyond

RR - Checkers AC / Mueller Mile (pic+vid added) (Read 75 times)

LRB

The video captures your cadence well, quick feet and high turnover, I taught myself how to run like that.  How does it look to you?  I look slow to me, but others think differently.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Kind of reminds me of Paige Higgins.  In fact, no matter what anybody tells you.....DON'T CHANGE!!!  AFAIK, Paige Higgins is off the running map completely because (perhaps not exclusively) somebody tried to change her running style.  IMHO, HUGE mistake!  Sure, she shuffled but that was her efficient form.  IIRC, she got injured shorty after the makeover and I don't think she ever got back to her fast form.

4:52 is awesome!  Congrats!

Randy

The video captures your cadence well, quick feet and high turnover, I taught myself how to run like that.  How does it look to you?  I look slow to me, but others think differently.

It always looks slower on video, haha.

I thought I was straying into "the dandy" a bit with my arms, not being fully confident on the flats yet.  But yes, my acceleration comes largely by turning over faster, not by lengthening my stride.  Hence, I'm also stronger uphill than down.

Redrum - interesting, thanks.

LRB

But yes, my acceleration comes largely by turning over faster, not by lengthening my stride.  Hence, I'm also stronger uphill than down.

I play around with both while running strides and "R" pace reps, for me, the faster turnover is easier to sustain than the longer strides.  The longer stride looks and feels more sexy though.

I would not mess around with your arm swing, at this point in the season anyway.  Doing so may screw up a really good thing you have got going.  Shit, I will take some of that dandy for a time like that!

Ha!  Here is a vid from a 5K for comparison, it looks a lot less of a hot mess, IMO.

5K form

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Great to see another runner tackle the mile and so successfully. It can take a few tries before you get the pacing down, then it get even more fun when strategy starts taking a larger role.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

happylily

Two observations:

1) I always knew we had an elite in you.

2) I never knew that you had such fine arm muscles!

Wow, I'm so happy that you beat your goal by so much and that you now know that you have even faster in you next time. You really are the perfect runner/racer who excels at all distances, from the very short to the marathon. Very unusual and quite impressive. Well done, Jay and thanks for sharing the great pictures and video! Oh and that is a great jacket and you fully deserve it!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

And now I feel sad for the poor guy wearing white who was left so far behind... Give him a hug for me next time you see him at a race. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Lily - Blush

Mmmmm...beer

Great job, that's haulin'!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

Ha!  Here is a vid from a 5K for comparison, it looks a lot less of a hot mess, IMO.

5K form

Nope, only a tad less hotter lol

You sound like me judging my race videos, I do not really care for any of them.  Good stuff though Jay!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I think the guy off the back of the mile video may have misjudged what heat to enter lol. I have a bit of a unique run too Jay...whatever gets you to the line!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn