Beginners and Beyond

Purnell Racing Father's Day 10K and 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO   

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2041%20Purnell%20Racing%20Fathers%20Day%205K/story

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that – I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

My 41st race of 2017 was the Father’s Day 5K on June 17, held at Lady Bird Johnson Park in San Antonio. The main event was the 10K, which had 15 participants.  The 5K had 3 participants, me and two young ladies, who were each doing the course with their kids. Small event but something to do on Father’s Day and I was going to do a training run anyway on Sunday morning, so figured I might as well take advantage of this event put on by my friend John of Purnell Racing.  John is a well-known figure in San Antonio running, coaching, putting on events, participating in many activities...been around the local racing scene for decades.

Start time was 8 a.m.  I got to the park with about 30 minutes to go and took some pre-start photos. This event was open to everyone but it turned out to be practically an exclusive Team RWB (Red White and Blue, veterans group) meet-up as most of us were Team RWB members, with just a couple of exceptions.

Team RWB members there

Friend Carol beautifully sang the National Anthem, with lots of us joining in....not so beautifully in my case, with my voice

Race Director John Purnell

On my way to the start line, saw friend Bill and his friend who had just finished their training run

Starting at the trailhead..

ON THE COURSE

VERY humid and already warm.  77 degrees at start time, 87% humidity, dew-point in the 70s.  We 3 5K folks started the same time as the 10K folks.  I was familiar with the 5K course, so knew where the turn-around point was.  Out-and-back course for both 10K and 5K course on the park’s paved trails, a mix of concrete and in some places, asphalt. There is a lot of shade over the trails in this park, which was a blessing on a warm morning, and after the turn-around I even got a slight breeze blowing in my face at times.  The 5K was pretty much flat except for a couple of short inclines.  The 10K had a couple of gradual hills along their route.  The trails were still open to cyclists and other runners and walker out doing their own training thing, so I did see a few people along the way.  For the most part, I was pretty much had the trails all to myself.  I ended up finishing in 32:59.

My friend George, who was doing the 10, coming down this incline that was up on the way back

Crossing over the creek in the park..which is pretty dry, no rain for a while around here..

And there goes George...never saw him again until after he finished his 10K

This is pretty much what the trails looked like for me most of the way of my 5K ..empty.

Altho I did encounter my friend Albert.  Being in his 70s, on this warm day the RD let him start his 10K about an hour earlier than the regular start time, so he was heading back from his 10K when I met him along my 5K route.

I made the turn-around and, heading back toward the finish, encountered this young lady who was also doing the 5K.

Passing by Los Patios restaurant, a pretty good eatery, surrounded by the park.

Over this wooden fenced bridge...private property behind that fence.

This point means I'm almost done...about a half mile to go.  Down this incline that was an uphill on the way out.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got water, did a bit of a cool-down walk, and then sat with friends – most of them veterans too – swapping ‘war stories’ and waiting and then watching the 10K folks coming in.  Some of those runners are very speedy! And, of course, getting up at times and wandering around taking some ‘after’ photos.

With Albert again, this time both of us finished

First overall finisher and first woman finisher for the 10K

2nd overall and first male 10K finisher coming in

2nd overall male....humidity was pretty brutal

Got my "self-portrait" insulated bag with my 'special' drinks in it...

Some of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

My friend, George, is a very popular guy, especially in Team RWB.  And rightfully so...he is almost like the heart of Team RWB San Antonio chapter.

Two old veteran dogs, post-event.  Thanks, John Purnell, for putting on this event.  Good times.

EPILOGUE

Small event, but a very nice one, felt like a group run of friends getting together to enjoy a run and each other’s company.  Very nice park to run in – especially for a small event like this; when the race is bigger, these trails get pretty darn crowded, as they are not the widest trails around in San Antonio’s greenway trails system - very nice ‘atmosphere’ at this event, lots of smiles – maybe not on the course, but after and before – and lots of friendly conversation and interaction between participants.  I would definitely do this one again.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants,  Purnell Racing,  all the volunteers, sponsors, the law enforcement officers that were out there for us, water stop volunteers, the academy cadets, etc.  Without all of you willing to be out there, there would be no races for we participants.  So thank you very much for your time!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

It's too bad so few people showed up for the races. I guess a lot of people prefer to sleep in on Father's Day.