Beginners and Beyond

So....Is this ITBS? (Read 97 times)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Just to give an update...

Confirmed with a sports ortho I do indeed have ITBS. He recommended some stretching and strengthening exercises for the long term but he's not hopeful it will do anything to help me before my HM in 3 weeks. My main problem is my quads are MUCH stronger than my glutes which causes an imbalance. Only short term solution would be a cortisone shot but I'm not crazy about that option. I bought a knee strap designed for ITBS, wel'll see how that goes. I'm not ruling out a shot just to get me through the next 3 weeks.

The good news (if you can call it that) is he says I won't do long term damage if I can fight through it and do the HM, as long as the pain doesn't cause me to alter my gait. After that I'll lay off running for as long as it takes to get it taken care of.

I realize in the grand scheme of things, as far as health problems one can have, an inflamed IT Band is a first world problem at best.  Still frustrating but what can ya do, amirite?

onemile

I don't know many people who had success with cortisone for itbs (including myself).  Graston was by far the most helpful out of all the things I tried (ART, massage, rolling, anti-inflammatories, ultrasound, chiropractic adjustments, cortisone, hip and glute strengthening exercises, orthotics, etc etc)

Nevrgivup

Just to give an update...

Confirmed with a sports ortho I do indeed have ITBS. He recommended some stretching and strengthening exercises for the long term but he's not hopeful it will do anything to help me before my HM in 3 weeks. My main problem is my quads are MUCH stronger than my glutes which causes an imbalance. Only short term solution would be a cortisone shot but I'm not crazy about that option. I bought a knee strap designed for ITBS, wel'll see how that goes. I'm not ruling out a shot just to get me through the next 3 weeks.

The good news (if you can call it that) is he says I won't do long term damage if I can fight through it and do the HM, as long as the pain doesn't cause me to alter my gait. After that I'll lay off running for as long as it takes to get it taken care of.

I realize in the grand scheme of things, as far as health problems one can have, an inflamed IT Band is a first world problem at best.  Still frustrating but what can ya do, amirite?

A friend of mine got a cortisone shot for ITBS but they gave it to her in her hip not the knee. It may help short-term. She went on to run a 50K, a few weeks later. She had raised a bunch of money for a child that she dedicated it too and wasn't bailing no matter how she felt. After the 50K she had to take 4 weeks off entirely to let it heal while doing PT. She is now only doing shorter distance as it calms down some many months later. Good luck!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I find ITBS so frustrating because there's no definitive treatment plan, cure, or directives to follow. When I hurt my foot it was: "rest it for x amount of time and it will heal." For ITBS it is so subjective. Some people can run through it and some can't. Some people swear by Graston, others say it doesn't work for them. Some people love those IT band straps, some say they don't work. Some swear by foam rolling, some don't....it is such a subjective and personal injury. Best of luck Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to