Beginners and Beyond

Report with LOTS of Photos - Morgan's Wonderland Snowball 5K (Read 14 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Held on January 30, 2016, this was my 6th race of 2016. I thought it was #7, but I do so many races in a year - 70 last year completed- that sometimes I lose track, so have to check my log to be sure, as I number them in my log after I complete them.   Well, 6 done is still pretty good for this early in the year.    Race location: Morgan’s Wonderland Park, the world’s first accessible park, designed in mind for people with special needs. This event benefited The Academy at Morgan’s Wonderland, an alternative school for special education and special needs students. Weather was very cooperative; sunny, blue skies, no wind and 51 degrees at the 9 a.m. start time. There was a 1-mile walk and a 5K run/walk. I did the 5K, ending up with a time of 30:59 chip time, averaging 10:09 per mile. Holy cow…I didn’t even know I could do a 10:09 mile, lol. My time was good enough for me to get 3rd place in my age group of 60-64. My wife walked the 5K and finished in 47:01 chip time.

BEFORE THE START

Arrived at the park with a little less than an hour to go to start time and immediately began to get some pre-start photos.

Me and my wife, Gail.  I definitely married up; and am lucky the lady has the patience of a Saint.  She has too, living with me, lol.

photo 044_zpsfrgiqbuv.jpg

Gail and me with friend, Angel (next to me) and her family. Her son, Jacob, is a student at The Academy.

photo 045_zpsnvp1eqj0.jpg

My wife wandered away to go chat with some friends, etc., while I was doing my photo thing.

The park is a pretty little place with all kinds of specially developed rides for people with special needs, a man-made lake, meeting areas, sculptures, play areas, etc.

photo 005_zpsvqvtz1ek.jpg

photo 013_zps0jc8ynnu.jpg

OK, I thought this was a big clock - duhhhhh  - and then my friend Mitch came along and told me it was actually the ferris wheel ride frame, lol

photo 015_zpsiwzdt44d.jpg

the man-made lake in the park...caught a bird in flight over it...this was the lake we circled right before we finished

photo 016_zpscj978rx2.jpg

photo 017_zpsnaclkn54.jpg

photo 018_zpsxvsuhpsn.jpg

photo 028_zpsmrnqflcb.jpg

photo 035_zpszhliqkno.jpg

There were some real 'characters' in the park for this event.. 

photo 029_zpshnkcq46s.jpg

photo 030_zpsmzlckyvh.jpg

photo 031_zpsuzbw795z.jpg

photo 043_zpsgdhntvv0.jpg

Me and my favorite running lady, Bernadette.  I've lived here a bit over 20 years now and Bernadette and I have known each other for about 18 of those years and have each done a lot of the same races over the years.

photo 007_zpsujigw6fk.jpg

These were some of the on-course volunteers, right before they were taken out to their various locations.  Thanks for being there for us!

photo 003_zpsdung9w8x.jpg

The lonely finish line before all the activities began

photo 019_zpsoz3mljyx.jpg

My friend, Mitch (right) and part of the team from iRun Texas, a great local specialty running store and event company that Mitch and his wife co-own.  iRun did the course setup, timing, results...

photo 020_zpsyoyobqqr.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, etc.

photo 006_zpskvmvjhcg.jpg

photo 008_zpsgbutcbvt.jpg

Team What-A-Burger

photo 010_zpsplssh6v4.jpg

This team has a great partner to run with!

photo 011_zpsjdwbcjsf.jpg

Three of the race day registration volunteers

photo 012_zpsg8qebutg.jpg

photo 014_zpskhrdxoiw.jpg

photo 021_zpstmkr4v27.jpg

Me and one of my favorite people, Sandra, a truly inspiring lady who has overcome a lot to be out running and walking.

photo 023_zpsrvuc4cos.jpg

photo 024_zpstnd9qxkc.jpg

photo 025_zpsscmcsxec.jpg

photo 026_zpsfccsel9g.jpg

photo 027_zpsvbixcnnl.jpg

photo 034_zpsfplcpi4i.jpg

photo 033_zpst8x2hzvl.jpg

photo 037_zpsy2kcdfsy.jpg

photo 039_zpstdbwpors.jpg

I am a member of Team RWB (Red White & Blue) San Antonio, the local chapter of a national veteran's organization, and there were quite a few of us at this event today.

photo 004_zpse4qxwxqg.jpg

photo 009_zpst1xveqve.jpg

photo 032_zpseijbmdar.jpg

photo 040_zpsdtmenqlb.jpg

photo 042_zps72qc0yau.jpg

Opening ceremonies and awards were held here...

photo 036_zpsoedrezx5.jpg

National Anthem playing, with Team RWB presenting the flag

photo 038_zpsbajtint3.jpg

Near the start line area, getting ready to go..

photo 046_zpsyokzkfqb.jpg

photo 047_zpsdaemckps.jpg

photo 048_zpsqykzfmp9.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started in Morgan’s Wonderland, went out a nearby gate and then did a loop on the roads near the park, with a loop that took us by Heroes Stadium, an athletic/event facility of Northeast Independent School District. Headed back toward Morgan’s Wonderland, with a diversion that had us doing a loop around a nearby soccer field, then back into the park and finishing by circling the man-made lake inside the park.

photo 049_zps8oan6i1b.jpg

photo 050_zpsxa6vpxdy.jpg

photo 051_zpsr7yfcuma.jpg

photo 052_zpsnbcmhy9w.jpg

photo 053_zpsvkilirfn.jpg

photo 054_zpsp80o2rab.jpg

Some of the on-course volunteers

photo 055_zpstajudzdh.jpg

Looping around the soccer field that took us to the Mile 2 marker

photo 056_zpskftjel63.jpg

photo 057_zpsgakqmxzh.jpg

photo 058_zpslhturptj.jpg

photo 059_zpsima8wrmf.jpg

After that last photo, it was 1.2 miles of nonstop running for me back to the finish

AFTER THE FINISH

Post-race goodies included bottled water, various fruits, etc., and pancakes

photo 083_zpsttplxg7s.jpg

cooked up by these guys:

photo 071_zpsfhyeqcmr.jpg

photo 072_zpsvtqpc3ls.jpg

Quite popular, as this was the pancake line.

photo 069_zpsz3fsqp7c.jpg

Went even quicker for me as I actually don’t like pancakes, lol, so I didn’t have to stand in line at all. Instead, I went around getting more photos of “Happy Finishers” volunteers, supporters etc.

These folks had snowballs in a cooler that you could throw at the snowman target

photo 084_zpsb3tmk6mw.jpg

This lady and I did the course together from the soccer field almost to the end, where she found her finish mojo and went in ahead of me quite handily.  She was good company and we had a nice chat as we went along.

photo 061_zpsljm9qufu.jpg

photo 063_zps0rkqbrcf.jpg

My pals Marguerite and Mony with their little motivator

photo 064_zps917ipxd7.jpg

photo 065_zpsaev6yhrg.jpg

photo 066_zps7p6iscrh.jpg

photo 067_zpsbhnii0ed.jpg

photo 068_zpszi21bgch.jpg

photo 070_zpsknddmqaj.jpg

photo 074_zps29c8xq0f.jpg

photo 075_zpslazxujoz.jpg

photo 076_zpsmgdbpjhi.jpg

photo 077_zpstsogtrj7.jpg

photo 078_zpsnnujhx0j.jpg

Me and Ashely, one of the race organizers.  One of the nicest ladies ever.

photo 079_zps4yxqfzdt.jpg

photo 082_zpstaujrhcw.jpg

photo 089_zps6cczglhn.jpg

Team RWB was strong in presence after the race too....

Me and Bernadette, post-race

photo 086_zpsxllxsrca.jpg

photo 060_zpsbb1dtbiu.jpg

photo 080_zpsyis2c1lb.jpg

photo 073_zpsiqx18gxe.jpg

photo 096_zpsjj5jhdvr.jpg

photo 098_zpsflad2mc9.jpg

Bernadette with her medal

photo 087_zpsmvv59hvp.jpg

Ladies with their medals

photo 088_zps2rryiqye.jpg

Ride the ride!

photo 094_zpsu75qngh2.jpg

photo 095_zps7ynrvsym.jpg

After I got my medal, I gave it to Jacob, a really good kid;  and then we all got a few photos together

photo 092_zps1mi3zolo.jpg

photo 090_zpsaonqeuir.jpg

Jacob with our race MC

photo 093_zpslzypakpp.jpg

Right before I left for home, gave these two little doggies a treat

photo 099_zpsn2vbuadd.jpg

photo 100_zpso5yxi4wl.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love doing races in this area when the race includes a course that goes through Morgan’s Wonderland Park or inside of Heroes Stadium or Toyota Field, the San Antonio professional soccer stadium because these routes make the race so much more interesting than simply running around all the park roads outside of these venues – so boring. I did this 5K last year and the course had to be changed a bit this year because of some ongoing construction, etc. Personally, I liked this year’s course much better than last year’s course, so I hope they make this year’s course the permanent one.   And it was especially nice at the awards ceremony, watching some of The Academy students presenting the medals to the age group winners, those kids were so into it, every enthusiastic and willing, it just brought a smile to your face to watch them. Nearly 500 participants for this year. This one just keeps growing, which is a good thing.

Mucho thanks to Morgan’s Wonderland, The Academy, all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc, who were all out there we participants today; all those folks that make this one happen for we entrants. All of you did great for us!

Nice course, nice venue, a whole lot of great people participating – entrants, volunteers, etc – and a beautiful day for it all, what more can you ask for? This is one of my favorite events to do each year. I will definitely be keeping this one on my race calendar each year.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Didn't you do a race there about a month ago?  It looks like a very nice place to race and you had a beautiful day for it.

LRB

Nice pics Scotty. It looks like it was a great day to race.