Beginners and Beyond

Travelling with other runners is awesome (Read 98 times)

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I met up with a few old teammates for the last few days and I've come to the realization that travelling with other runners is pretty sweet because:

-every evening ends with a discussion about when and where to do the next day's run.

-core o'clock.

-your idea of an hour on the trails to help cure a hangover isn't immediately shot down

Do you guys ever travel with other runners? Do you end up training on the vacation?

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

LRB

I have not traveled with any but I enjoy the rapid fire discussion when in the company of others who run.

I mean, you literally will cover fifty topics about running in five minutes!

delicate flower

DW's cousin is pretty obsessed about her running and we've taken several vacations as a group.  It's always easier to carve out time for running when more than one person is pushing the issue.  The last time we vacationed together, I ran 52 miles that week.  DW doesn't mind though if I want to run when it's just the two of us travelling.  Problem is, given the nature of our trips I am usually too damn exhausted at the end of each day to want to run.

<3

happylily

Aww.. sounds wonderful, Adam! It's never happened to me to travel with other runners, but I would love doing it! In Boston, I'll be meeting with some friends from Montreal also running and I'm looking forward to it. Are you doing the Paris marathon this coming weekend?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

I have not traveled with any but I enjoy the rapid fire discussion when in the company of others who run.

I mean, you literally will cover fifty topics about running in five minutes!

Heh, pretty sure me and Oski's DH drive the wives nuts with the running talk whenever we get together.  Smile  I don't have any proof of this, but I suspect the female eye rolling abounds.

<3

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

LRB - It was also the first time I'd run with another person in months... so I think I may have talked their ears off :P. We actually didn't talk to much about running itself.

Baboon - That's good your wife doesn't mind. I often find that I'm too tired at the end of the day, or something like "let's take a walk down by the river/get a bottle of wine" just sounds a hell of a lot better than running a few miles.

happylily - It was last weekend... now I've got no real running plans other than run a lot of miles and get fit.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

happylily

Am I already senile and I forgot your RR? Where are the pictures? And your funny comments?

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Am I already senile and I forgot your RR? Where are the pictures? And your funny comments?

I actually ran this one, so no photos Undecided.

happylily

I actually ran this one, so no photos Undecided.

Grrr... RR soon? How awesome was it?

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Grrr... RR soon? How awesome was it?

Could have been better, could have been worse.

Hip Redux

Heh, pretty sure me and Oski's DH drive the wives nuts with the running talk whenever we get together.  Smile  I don't have any proof of this, but I suspect the female eye rolling abounds.

You both crack me up, actually.   It's like clockwork... we're sitting at the table for 5 minutes and blammo!  We're talking running.  Big grin

Buelligan

Do you guys ever travel with other runners? Do you end up training on the vacation?

I don't really know any other runners.

Docket_Rocket

I've never traveled with other runners but runners are in general, awesome.

How did Paris go?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

I travel with friends to do a relay race in NH (3 hour drive) each year. I spend the day with my friends, then my wife joins us for 2 night outs.She knows all my friends fairly well, and we have fun.

Just B.S.

Hubby and I are fortunate to have a core group of about 30 of friends who are runners/cyclists/

swimmers AND love to travel.

I can't remember all the places/races we have been to with friends over the years

but a few are: Florida,  Ottawa, Maine Marathon, Nova Scotia, PEI,  Boston,

Reach the Beach 200 mile Relay in Mass, Bermuda (25 people)and many places in

our own province for day or weekend trips.

Next big group running trip is Ireland in September for 10 days. 35 of us going on that

trip.Smile