Beginners and Beyond

HIM SaturDAILIES (Read 38 times)

delicate flower

Quick recap of my race that I am copy 'n pasting from L&O (they have a thread for me because the love me):

Swim:  45:18, rank 496/629.  The amazing thing here is that there are 133 people that are shittier swimmers than me.  I was fine for the first half of the swim (an out and back), but on the second half the morning sun was on my breathing side and was blinding me.  I couldn't see a goddamn thing, I swam off course a little bit, I couldn't see the buoys (course markers) because I was blinded, and I had to stop a few times to get reoriented.  Swim was supposed to be 2100 yards but I swam 2257 yards because I can't stay on course.  Now all that said, it was a decent swim.  I'm improving.  Physically this was easy, but I also know I could have pushed harder.  It more of a mental battle just trying to stay on course and see where the hell I was going.  I easily could have gone twice this distance at this speed (2:00 pace).

Bike:  2:44:42, rank 186/629.  20.3 mph.  This was the best ride I've ever had, training or racing.  This was two loops of a 28 mile course.  I was 20.3 mph on loop one, and 20.3 mph on loop two.  I executed well.  I started at a moderate effort.  I couldn't really pick it up much the second loop, but I also didn't slow down.  Really happy to be in the top third overall on the bike, and I love seeing the 20+ mph.  I'm getting strong on the bike, and that leads to faster runs.....

Run:  1:41:53, rank 62/629.  Well, I'm a runner and this is where I do damage.  I ran pretty steady the entire run, though I was in a world of hurt the last four miles.  It was a bright and sunny 82 degrees with no shade.  No humidity though, which was nice.  When I hit mile nine, I really just wanted this to end.  I passed 70 people on the run.  I counted.  I do that.

I executed as well as I could have for a first timer.  I even nailed my nutrition.  I took in about 1400 calories the entire race and nine extra salt pills.  I did this race in a TRI KIT aka no sleeves, like a proper tridouche.

"They" say a general rule of thumb for an Ironman guesstimate is to take your half ironman time, double it, and add an hour.  That'd put me well under 12 hours.  I find that hard to imagine.

<3

LRB

I ran 5. Warm and sunny out today.

Yes. I'm about used to it I think. I still hate the sun though but the heat is not bothering me.

delicate flower

Paced it like a boss. Look at those splits. LOOK AT THEM! Before putting the hammer down in the last mile, ranged from 7:24 to 7:30.  

That is a thing of beauty.  Great execution!  'Bout time you nailed one these things.  Not surprised though...they way you've been going, you were way overdue for a race like this.  Congrats on the big fat PR, Dave!

<3

delicate flower

1:41:53

Heh, so two years ago I did this race as part of a relay team because DW just wanted to gain some swim experience.  I ran 1:40:41 that day...doing JUST the run.

<3

onemile

Yes. I'm about used to it I think. I still hate the sun though but the heat is not bothering me.

Yup. I actually felt decent today.  And it was 80+ when I went out.

Well of course in B&B, every day there's a dailies thread dedicated to how much we love Baboon.

Amazing job. On one hand it must feel good to have the last part be the one where you're most comfortable. OTOH, it must be frustrating to be struggling so much in a half, due to having to do all that other shit first.

Hopefully this gives you more confidence going into the IM. And possibly more fear.

Dave

delicate flower

Three awesome racers and races!  Congrats!!!!!

How did MBC do, Baboon??

She was displeased when she crossed the finish line and saw the clock, but then realized a couple hours later that she needed to subtract about a half hour because she was in the next-to-last swim wave.  So, she is ok with her race, but she was still hoping to do a little better.  I think she did great.  Temps in the 80's does not make for good race times.  She is setting up nicely for a big improvement on her Mont-Tremblant Ironman time.

<3

LRB

Well of course in B&B, every day there's a dailies thread dedicated to how much we love Baboon.

Most assuredly this one if none other.

You take home a pie?

delicate flower

Amazing job. On one hand it must feel good to have the last part be the one where you're most comfortable. OTOH, it must be frustrating to be struggling so much in a half, due to having to do all that other shit first.

Hopefully this gives you more confidence going into the IM. And possibly more fear.

Where, I didn't see that one.  

The key to running well really has been getting the bike fitness up.  Last year I'd get off the bike and start running and would be like "Holy shit this sucks."  Now I start the run and I feel fine, just limited with how fast I can go due to fatigue.  But it doesn't hurt.  Until later.  The bike doesn't destroy me like it did last year.

<3

You take home a pie?

Not possible. If he did get a pie, it would be devoured whole on site and never make it home.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

She was displeased when she crossed the finish line and saw the clock, but then realized a couple hours later that she needed to subtract about a half hour because she was in the next-to-last swim wave.  So, she is ok with her race, but she was still hoping to do a little better.  I think she did great.  Temps in the 80's does not make for good race times.  She is setting up nicely for a big improvement on her Mont-Tremblant Ironman time.

Hard to get a better time in that shit.  I think she did great!  And so did you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Hard to get a better time in that shit.  I think she did great!  And so did you!

thanks Smile