Beginners and Beyond

My dog has a torn ACL (update: RIP, puppy) (Read 247 times)

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Jewell has a history of getting bumps and bruises proving the theory that greyhounds are not graceful.

This is what I threatened to do to her at one point.  Guess I shoulda stuck with it.

MBC, maybe you should try that for both Jewell and Baboon... hang in there!

LRB

Jewell has a history of getting bumps and bruises proving the theory that greyhounds are not graceful.

This is what I threatened to do to her at one point.  Guess I shoulda stuck with it.

On Phil too though!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Poor doggie.  Wishing you both a speedy recovery!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Awww, poor baby (and I meant Jewel, not you!)  Hope she recovers quickly and by daddy's side.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

notimeforthat

Poor puppy!!!

Hope you are healing up quickly.

LRB

Awww, poor baby (and I meant Jewel, not you!)  Hope she recovers quickly and by daddy's side.

Wassup D, The Boonster can't get no love?

Oh no!  My friend's dog just had this happen.  $3000 surgery!  Hope your dog is feeling better without it!

Jnfr Jogs

Take heart - many ACL tears in dogs will heal all on their own in 3 - 6 weeks, if you can keep her from injuring it any worse. For example, take her treats to her, don't call her to you to get them.  I know the laser therapy also helps with inflammation and pain relief, if she is getting both the steady and the pulsed kind.

I hope you both feel better soon! She is a cutie pie!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Diagnosis was wrong.  We xrayed today and she has tumors in her leg.

back story:

Early January I noticed once in a while at the bottom of the stairs Jewell would kind of drag her right leg a bit.  Also instead of FLYING up the stairs she walked slowly.  So I brought her to the vet and we xrayed and I left her for the day.  The vet walked her, watched her on stairs etc and said she was doing fine - maybe moving a little slow but at her age it could be joints, a little arthritis etc. But the xrays were completely clean.

Then the week of Phil's surgery she started limping so I brought her in.  The other vet (same office) thought it was her ACL and put her on an anti inflammatory and pain meds.  Our follow up appt was for this Monday but I changed it to today with the other vet because I knew it was getting worse and I couldn't wait.  However, I thought it was a spinal issue and I walked in there all ready to demand the treatment I found for lumbosacral stenosis which is common for older greyhounds and her symptoms matched.  If I was wrong so be it - they give a shot for it kind of like a cortisone shot so if I was wrong no harm........

Vet started feeling her leg and instantly was like "oh, this is new.  I think it's a bone tumor let's xray."  And so it is.  In 2 months, growths appeared on the xray.

So now she's going back on the anti inflammatory, staying on tramadol and we are adding gabapentin for nerve type pain.

Sucks.

Village people

Oh no! Sad

Docket_Rocket

Oh no.  Hope the tumors are not cancerous.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MrNamtor

Wassup D, The Boonster can't get no love?

lol

MrNamtor

That's too bad about your dog. So sorry to hear. Is she a full greyhound or an italian greyhound?

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Oh no.  Hope the tumors are not cancerous.

We are not going to bother having them tested - we assume they are.  The end result is the same so we're just not going to put her through anymore tests or procedures etc.

Yes, she is a purebred greyhound.  You can see her racing stats if you register at greyhound-data.com

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=tola+jewel&x=-1186&y=-27