Beginners and Beyond

Tripping Over THURSDAILIES to Get to the Weekend (Read 87 times)

outoftheblue

Another beautiful sunny day here in California.   I'm actually hoping for rain, because we need some.  It's getting pretty dry.  Going to tackle the weeds in the garden this morning and then shoot for 4 easy miles, plus some weights later on.

Basya -- hope you got some sleep and are able to relax a little.  Good luck!

Life is good.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

jedi is also a higher mileage runner, SIAR.  I'm sure his comment was not addressed to you.

I guess I made the comment since he mentioned 80+ mile weeks, and his are more in the 50-60 range.  I don't see anything wrong with someone else running that kind of mileage for a marathon, and think that it's really strong training and plenty of mileage for someone to have success with.  Plus, it's likely more mileage than most marathoners put in, especially on a consistent basis.

Still, since I changed to training with Hudson, I'm following his guideline that highly competitive runners be between 70-80mpw and elite runners be between 100-120mpw.  Since I'm trying to get to the faster end of highly competitive, I'm kinda splitting the difference between highly competitive and elite, and it's working for me (at least in the sense that I've never felt more healthy in a training cycle, and I'm regularly hitting my paces).

I just would hope that my training choices would get the same sort of respect that I'd give others, and I thought the 80 comment was a little snarky, even if it wasn't directed at me.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Damaris: you don't like me, I don't like you - let's just not deal with each other, OK?  I don't need Jed's swipes - the shit he pulled this morning and yesterday - and I don't need yours.  I want to talk about running in a positive manner, that's it.

MOM and DAD don't fight!

Was it the kids fault?  Sad

Are you getting divorced?

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Hey Marjorie!  I've seen your log from time to time when ever I've come across a report looking for mileage leaders.  You definitely put your mileage in!  It looks like you run a pretty regular weekly 10-12, and then a longer run once a week?  Since you were doing some miles at GMP, does that mean you have a marathon you're training for now?  I had thought maybe you were an ultra gal with all the steady months over 300.  Anyway, nice to have you join us and look forward to hearing more from you.

I have my next marathon June 8th (Hatfield and McCoy).  I haven't done ultras only because I'd kill myself on trails and there aren't that many road ultras.  I would fall on every single rock, twig etc.  That I remain upright on regular pavement is a miracle. I have taken some amazing spills but none recently.  I do a lot of 10 to 14's during the week and 20+ on Sunday.  Most days I run.  Don't always take days off but did take 2 days off this week as I needed some cut back a little.

Thanks for the welcome Kay.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Sounds like she is seeking an annulment.

MOM and DAD don't fight!

Was it the kids fault?  Sad

Are you getting divorced?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

DaveP MI, thanks for the info.

Heidi, have a refreshing recovery run.

paulajmcd, enjoy lifting and running.

outoftheblue, have fun lifting, running, as weed whacking.

I'll head over to the pasta feed in a few minutes.

I'll head over to the pasta feed in a few minutes.

Will they be serving kreplach?

Dave

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Still, since I changed to training with Hudson, I'm following his guideline that highly competitive runners be between 70-80mpw and elite runners be between 100-120mpw.  Since I'm trying to get to the faster end of highly competitive, I'm kinda splitting the difference between highly competitive and elite, and it's working for me (at least in the sense that I've never felt more healthy in a training cycle, and I'm regularly hitting my paces).

I do 70 to 80 something most weeks as well.  But I like to run higher miles.  It works for me.  I'm not fast and never will be that fast but I like to run far.  I've also switched to more Hudson when I train.  I didn't like the canned plans of Higdon advanced etc.  I know my weakness is speed so I put in some speed work each week.

And Damaris did tell me to start posting here.  I can't guarantee I can do it every day but I'll try.

Marjorie

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I did not say anything to you that was bad imo. That is how the group rolls everyone gives advice unsolicited or otherwise. For the record there were others besides D and myself telling you that very same thing.. I think your problem was and still is you did not like hearing people tell you what you did not want to hear or not agreeing with you that you had the best amazing run ever.

.You've been running not even a year at a high clip. i am all for high mileage but it's ok to take a RD when you need to and not worry about missing lost mileage or a cutback week. Listen to your body. You're not going to lose fitness. Be the smart runner and not narrow minded about your training not wanting to do a short race to gauge fitness as an example. Sorry if I made you feel bad and you felt need to leave our group. I was just trying to be helpful based on my experiences.

For the record  I have no desire to run 80mpw every week nor do I need to. Quality vs quantity working a Daniels plan w/ 3 quality runs a week. That is what I am working on this spring with not running a marathon, so I can run a better marathon eventually getting my BQ. So far it's been good for me and I have seen a vast improvement in my fitness this winter.  I will see what happens at my HM next week. Being smart about it training and not just running to hit my mileage.

I left because of you and Jedi - period.  I loved everyone else - the other 98 people.  When I ask for advice, any answers I get are fair game.  I would post my work outs in the dailies and repeatedly get unsolicited advice from you two: two people who aren't running the mileage/paces I am.  That is aggravating, to say the least.

SIAR - I'm not down on you guys. Just hate seeing runners especially new ones not train smart is all, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself about this going forward. I don't like drama and this is what all this is now. Don't want to take away from group as a whole. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Nevrgivup

Heidi-You know I love you. Haters are going to hate. You've got talent and unfortunately others can't be happy for you. Envy is a horrible thing. Continue doing what your doing because obviously its working. See you in Boston 2014. <3

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

delicate flower

I make a good turkey meatloaf.  Just sayin'.

<3

Hip Redux

Heidi-You know I love you. Haters are going to hate. You've got talent and unfortunately others can't be happy for you. Envy is a horrible thing. Continue doing what your doing because obviously its working. See you in Boston 2014. <3

Did you have to put others down to make your friend feel better?  This is some serious ass kissing.

Seriously, if you don't like what someone says, just friggin ignore it.  It's the internet, does someone really need to explain this?

Chairman

I did not say anything to you that was bad imo. That is how the group rolls everyone gives advice unsolicited or otherwise. For the record there were others besides D and myself telling you that very same thing.. I think your problem was and still is you did not like hearing people tell you what you did not want to hear or not agreeing with you that you had the best amazing run ever.

.You've been running not even a year at a high clip. i am all for high mileage but it's ok to take a RD when you need to and not worry about missing lost mileage or a cutback week. Listen to your body. You're not going to lose fitness. Be the smart runner and not narrow minded about your training not wanting to do a short race to gauge fitness as an example. Sorry if I made you feel bad and you felt need to leave our group. I was just trying to be helpful based on my experiences.

For the record  I have no desire to run 80mpw every week nor do I need to. Quality vs quantity working a Daniels plan w/ 3 quality runs a week. That is what I am working on this spring with not running a marathon, so I can run a better marathon eventually getting my BQ. So far it's been good for me and I have seen a vast improvement in my fitness this winter.  I will see what happens at my HM next week. Being smart about it training and not just running to hit my mileage.

SIAR - I'm not down on you guys. Just hate seeing runners especially new ones not train smart is all, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself about this going forward. I don't like drama and this is what all this is now. Don't want to take away from group as a whole. Sorry if I offended anyone with my comments.

Out of curiosity  what the hell makes the two of you think you are qualified to give unsolicited running advice to anyone, much less someone whose level of natural ability is, frankly, completely out of your league?

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Chairman

I left because of you and Jedi - period.  I loved everyone else - the other 98 people.  When I ask for advice, any answers I get are fair game.  I would post my work outs in the dailies and repeatedly get unsolicited advice from you two: two people who aren't running the mileage/paces I am.  That is aggravating, to say the least.

You should take it as a compliment. Few people can do what you do, and some can't even comprehend it. You might just be getting too good at running to hang out in places like that. Which is fine, because I hear you have a coach now.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Nevrgivup

Ugh. I don't really see this post as putting anyone down. I was saying that she has talent and that some people envy it. Sorry I don't ignore posts when its a friend that is being dissed upon for no reason other than being a runner who has talent.

Did you have to put others down to make your friend feel better?  This is some serious ass kissing.

Seriously, if you don't like what someone says, just friggin ignore it.  It's the internet, does someone really need to explain this?

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.