Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Dog Days of Summer 5K (Read 14 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them. 

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

Done on June 12th, my 30th race of 2016 was the Dogs Days of Summer 5K put on by Carrera Races of San Antonio.  The timing and course setup was done by local race company www.iaapweb.com who did their usual great job.   This event supported Guide Dogs for the Blind.  About 150 or so runners and walkers and several ran or walked with their dogs at this dog-friendly event.  This was a very hilly 2-lap course.   I ended up 4th in my age group, with the guy in 3rd place finishing 37 seconds ahead of me.  As I’m not quite 100% yet I took it pretty easy on the hills; it’s all good, I was very happy, because my results were that the leg did not bother me, so I am definitely on the healing road, and I thought the hills would really slow me down and I’d finish in 40-something, so 37-something was a pleasant surprise.

On to the photos!  I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do.  So if you’d rather just see photos only without my commentary you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:     http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2030%20Dog%20Days%20of%20Summer%205K 

BEFORE THE START

Arrived at the race venue with about 45 minutes to start time and did my usual pre-start photo thing. Event was held at Eilan, a residential/business offices/restaurants-and-retail community just across from Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

"Town Center" at Eilan

photo 014_zpsbt3evidn.jpg

One runner doing his race warmups on the stairs

photo 019_zpszprvuozl.jpg

Me and friend and fellow Team RWB team member, Karen

photo 018_zpsq6hyfqwa.jpg

Race Day Registration:  Race Director Virginia and some of her crew

photo 022_zpsdgaodv0n.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, supporters, etc.  The 'paw-print' bags some of the people have are the goodie bags participants got

photo 001_zpsymr26zam.jpg

photo 002_zps71qsz6ti.jpg

photo 003_zpsvohhn62l.jpg

photo 004_zpslaqamd4j.jpg

photo 005_zpscpaq3rj1.jpg

photo 006_zpsogdwqew1.jpg

photo 007_zpsmyun8ysc.jpg

photo 008_zpspvfnmuko.jpg

This guy  and the guy in the photo after this one are wearing the race shirt participants got

photo 010_zpsxxvfpgxv.jpg

photo 015_zpse5wvrbdo.jpg

photo 016_zps4tuuewq9.jpg

My ride on the course in case I needed it.  iaapweb.com folks Jose (driver), Minnie, Paul Baltutis (right back), and some hitch-hiker they picked up. 

photo 011_zpstnmpzg2f.jpg

iaapweb - timing and results

photo 013_zpscl8od0lk.jpg

photo 012_zpscxdumloj.jpg

photo 020_zpsy5xuf6wl.jpg

photo 021_zpsa5vfx5ah.jpg

photo 023_zpso5gpmrok.jpg

photo 024_zpspsavzrh4.jpg

Me and Bernadette right before we started, after she finished her warmup run

photo 026_zpsdpsquh3d.jpg

Getting ready to start.  You can see some of "The Rim" shopping center buildings across the road from Eilan

photo 027_zpspnimrsin.jpg

photo 028_zps7m5cl9au.jpg

Behind me at the start line

photo 029_zpswoneebzu.jpg

ON THE COURSE

This was a 2-lap course of hills with a few flat places along the course – very few! Even the start and finish is on a small incline.  A challenging course and especially challenging when the humidity is nearly 100 percent, the temp is already near 80 at 8 a.m., and the dew-point is in the 70s.  I think some of the poor doggies were feeling the heat, but Carrera had thoughtfully put out a water stop for the dogs and also had wading pools filled with water that the dogs could drink from and lie in.

And we're off....almost right off the bat we start up a hill

photo 030_zpstmuhj0mp.jpg

And another hill

photo 031_zpss5y05quu.jpg

downhill for a bit

photo 032_zpszsugniyp.jpg

This was the biggest/longest hill on the course - a downhill;  good for some; bad for me, as downhills REALLY pound my arthritic back. I took it very easy going down this hill.

photo 033_zpsbmk8pwbh.jpg

Almost done with my first lap

photo 034_zpskatvyqnp.jpg

photo 035_zpsp281awb2.jpg

As I was finishing my FIRST lap, lol, this guy was already finishing his race. He was the overall 5K male winner.

photo 036_zpsaavywr9b.jpg

2nd lap for me.

photo 037_zpsppvnwv4r.jpg

photo 038_zpshtu0ycwk.jpg

photo 039_zpssaoikmlm.jpg

photo 040_zps0ia4gfik.jpg

I chased this kid and his 'sister' for most of the race.  He was a very speedy little kid, lol.  He did great.

photo 041_zpsmfpm6f7y.jpg

Finished at last!  My first lap was 19-something and I finished in 37-something, so for the 2nd lap I did slightly negative splits, nice.

As I headed to get some water I accidentally snapped a photo of Virginia's brother;  well, part of him anyway, lol. Nice shoes, bro!

photo 042_zpspei3nwqk.jpg

Ahhh, here's the rest of him!

photo 043_zpspauaiimd.jpg

One of the security guys out there doing traffic control for us. Thank you sir!

photo 044_zpsuc6wsyxa.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Got some water right after the finish, did a cool-down walk, and found a shady spot to rest a bit and drank my water. Then it was off to get some post-race goodies and take some photos of the “happy finishers’, their supporters, etc.

Some of the goodies....

photo 045_zpslld07vgm.jpg

photo 046_zps63fibtor.jpg

photo 047_zps8vkubr1i.jpg

photo 048_zpskbk1clwz.jpg

...and beer, as modeled by this guy

photo 051_zpsqpd4ib8o.jpg

goodies for purchase

photo 049_zpsojstghmv.jpg

Happy happy now...the hills are all done!

photo 050_zpsybvz4zg7.jpg

photo 052_zpsmatekrkw.jpg

That looks refreshing!  Can I join you?

photo 053_zpsxisv3bg3.jpg

photo 054_zpswfhyji4x.jpg

photo 055_zpsvchjb5wk.jpg

photo 056_zpsodrldps8.jpg

My and one of my 'running crushes', Race director Virginia

photo 057_zpsihb0h1qu.jpg

photo 058_zpsekrmoccr.jpg

photo 059_zpswjg5loyf.jpg

Team RWB team mates Margaret and Rocky

photo 060_zpsqtvfscpa.jpg

photo 061_zpspctvwvx8.jpg

photo 062_zpsjzv3v0mb.jpg

photo 063_zpsjkimflaj.jpg

Karen and Bernadette

photo 064_zpsgiojgr8h.jpg

Age Group winner Bernadette

photo 066_zpsanm3tpxo.jpg

This lady ran AND  pushed her young one in baby jogger up and down all those hills!  She definitely got her workout.  Her husband got his major workout the day before; he did the Pearsall Park 5K on June 11, a very hilly race also on mostly off road trails.

photo 067_zps5ly40u6z.jpg

Tired but happy finisher, and a 'fashion statement'. 

photo 065_zps0pm1cd2b.jpg

EPILOGUE

Carrera Races always has some pretty well-organized events and a ton of goodies post-race, including beer, oh yeah; I enjoyed a beer post-race, even if it was only 9 a.m.; hey, that military training of mine came in handy, you learn to drink at all kinds of hours.    Very nice quality tech-tee race shirt for this event and, although hilly, a pretty nice area to do a run or walk in.  Very little traffic, good facilities – indoor restrooms instead of the usual race port-a-potties is always nice - ample parking, and close proximity to several food venues – The Rim shopping area was right across the street/IH10 from Elan – if folks wanted to go get breakfast or brunch or whatever post-race. The age group awards were little dog tags with a dog emblem on them.   I’ve done this event several times in the past and will do it again, and would recommend it to my fellow runners.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, law enforcement/security folks, etc; all the people out there that made this one happen for we participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

I'm used to you winning your age group, heal up quick before word gets out. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

Loved all the pictures of the dogs! Glad your healing up.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Love the doggies!  Heal well!

Damaris