Beginners and Beyond

Thursdailies - Getting closer (Read 36 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Q for you: according to my HM (I put in a minute faster b/c I think my fitness has improved since Feb--so I put in 1:53:00), it says my current 5k pace is 24:24 (7:51mm pace)...sounds about right. But then when you click on the "training paces" he has speed paces as

7:14-7:35 (3:36-3:46), so this is significantly faster than 5k pace (I have never raced a 5k). And those are the 800 paces I've been doing repeats at (with equal jog recoveries i.e. 3:40 for 800s, ~3:00 jog recoveries). Thoughts?

My trouble with ranges is that my brain tells me that I must hit the low end, EVERY TIME. In reality, if they feel too tough, I should be focusing on hitting the high end.

I agree with halfcrazy that the 5k pace it gives you is a predicted race time pace, while the range you're getting is meant for intervals of the duration you are doing.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Q for you: according to my HM (I put in a minute faster b/c I think my fitness has improved since Feb--so I put in 1:53:00), it says my current 5k pace is 24:24 (7:51mm pace)...sounds about right. But then when you click on the "training paces" he has speed paces as

7:14-7:35 (3:36-3:46), so this is significantly faster than 5k pace (I have never raced a 5k). And those are the 800 paces I've been doing repeats at (with equal jog recoveries i.e. 3:40 for 800s, ~3:00 jog recoveries). Thoughts?

Specifying 5K pace for interval workouts is an approximation that works for faster runners. Intervals are usually intended for VO2Max workouts and the pace is determined at that which you could hold for roughly 20 minutes. Roughly because there is some variation depending on which coaching expert you reference. I've seen it as low as 12-15 minutes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

Specifying 5K pace for interval workouts is an approximation that works for faster runners. Intervals are usually intended for VO2Max workouts and the pace is determined at that which you could hold for roughly 20 minutes. Roughly because there is some variation depending on which coaching expert you reference. I've seen it as low as 12-15 minutes.

But have you seen it as faster than 5K for 800s?  I haven't but I can barely do 5K pace in 800s, lol.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

KCRuns

I thought it curious when I read the workout, because it was basically the same pace that I did 1:00 fartleks at on Tuesday, so I wasn't sure I could hold that pace for 800s.  I was right, it was too fast today for me, but I still feel like I got a good workout done given the temps/humidity, etc.

Yes, it's the McMillan plan and he assumes I've improved, which I actually have quite a bit, but that was just a tough workout.  But y'all have helped me put it in perspective and now I'm feeling good about it.

I had a really good 3.5 mile race in May which was slightly faster than my 5k PR (this is the race I put in for the plan along with my marathon goal) and I'm signed up for a 5k race in October when it's cooler, and am hoping for big things then!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

But have you seen it as faster than 5K for 800s?  I haven't but I can barely do 5K pace in 800s, lol.

Yes, the interval distance shouldn't affect the pace. Keep in mind there is an upper limit to the interval length if they are being run as a VO2Max workout. You're actually more likely to see that for slower runners. A 25:00 (8:00.0 pace) 5K runner  would run 800m intervals at 7:45 pace. Note that 7:45 pace is about what a 25:00 runner could hold for about 15 minutes.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

delicate flower

Bike workout done.  21.26 miles at 20.3 mph.  Shitbag Garmin froze halfway through the workout, but thankfully I had my new bike computer that the wife bought me for my birthday so I could still follow my workout.  #coolstory  #nobodygivesashit

<3

onemile

Bike workout done.  21.26 miles at 20.3 mph.  Shitbag Garmin froze halfway through the workout, but thankfully I had my new bike computer that the wife bought me for my birthday so I could still follow my workout.  #coolstory  #nobodygivesashit

I care!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

Seeing Baboon's Garmin issue, is anyone else having trouble syncing with Bluetooth? Mine connects, but doesn't sync. I'm sure there was some update to the app that fucked things up.

Docket_Rocket

7 done with 6 X 100m. Not sure if it’s the meds or me but it didn’t feel easy.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

<3

Runshortii

Ohh so this is a McMillan plan that assumes you are improving?  It probably also assumes it's 50 degrees out...

This made me lol.

I ran 8

GinnyinPA

Strength training.

Seeing Baboon's Garmin issue, is anyone else having trouble syncing with Bluetooth? Mine connects, but doesn't sync. I'm sure there was some update to the app that fucked things up.

I don't have Bluetooth, but my Garmin hasn't been syncing lately. It will tell me it checked for updates, but there is no option to sync the watch with Garmin Connect.  I can upload the run manually, but that doesn't include things like steps and HR.

Docket_Rocket

I think that was me today...

Damaris

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand