Beginners and Beyond

ThursDailies (Read 41 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I loved both the Everest books. I had read the original Outside article, so I didn't realize that Krakauer's story was flawed until I started reading some of the criticisms. He does write a compelling story.  After I read The Climb, I was reminded that telling a good story can get in the way of the truth. I have no desire to be a mountain climber, but I enjoy reading about it.

I definitely think he's a gifted writer and a good story teller.  It was throwing people under the bus, people who - right or wrong - he had no business being the judge and jury in order to sell his story for $$ that left a bad taste in my mouth about him.  But yes, reading about these climbing adventures is very interesting in exploring the extremes of the human mind and spirit and riding along int he journey.

Blue - I doubt I was the only dumb person on that bridge tonight 

Docket - Yes, it was true.  But one's perception of the truth.  As I'm sure you know, best of everyone, the truth comes out after hearing all sides and angles.  Even then, you might not really get to the true truth.  Does that even make sense?  True truth?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

True, plus most of them died so it's hard to know if it was dramatized a bit.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I am so behind,  but I read through, I think!

I thought Everest was based on a true story?  Anyway, that's not on my bucket list, but it would be amazing to do if it was easier to access. 

Yes. Based on a book that's based on a true story. Apparently including some alternate facts.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Yes. Based on a book that's based on a true story. Apparently including some alternate facts.

Written by a member of the Trump family, then?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Written by a member of the Trump family, then?

Ha!  Only if The Donald was the first to summit.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Coastal

Yes. It's called the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

Ha!  You got that right.

5 miles on the TM tonight.  It was 51 degrees and pouring rain outside when headed home.  Haven't missed running in the rain.

Stay safe out in the cold and snow everyone.

Runshortii

I don't do running through snow. But I will run when it's very cold or icy (with spikes).

I was thinking today that even though it's ass cold, it beats when I did my 15 miler last week and it was 10 degrees warmer and snowing.

bluerun

Super B****

Is the probability of breaking something any higher than it is for you under normal circumstances?

Yes

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Half Crazy K 2.0

As I passed a guy taking photos on the desolate Billyburg Bridge tonight, he took a pic of me and said "brave man".  Yes brave, s-t-u-p-i-d, brave. 

I alternated between feeling bad ass for being outside and dumb ass.