Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Beat Parkinson's Disease 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 49th race of 2015.  Held on October 10 by local race company Carrera Races with course setup, timing and results done by local company iaapweb.com. The venue was University of the Incarnate Word (UIW), a local higher education institution located in San Antonio.  There were about 200 runners and walkers for this event, and many vendors/sponsors present too.   There were 4 people in my age group and I finished in 33:23, for 3rd in my age group.  So another medal to add to my collection to give to the cancer kids at San Antonio Children's Hospital when I get enough of them to donate. At my pace, that sometimes takes a while, lol.

BEFORE THE START

UIW is pretty close to where I live and I'd picked up my packet a couple of days before the event, so I got to sleep in a bit before heading down to the race venue.   Arrived with about 45 minutes to go to start time and wandered around doing my usual pre-start photo thing.

Arriving at UIW, home of The Cardinals

photo 009_zpsxa86pxzr.jpg

photo 019_zpsercjcsra.jpg

photo 016_zpsir2cted9.jpg

Our Law Enforcement folks out there for us, keeping us safe

photo 018_zps3ijegzta.jpg

Yours truly, with my speedy pal, Bernadette, who got first in her age group

photo 024_zpsuxoxtoyv.jpg

The official photographer - whose photos are probably a lot better than mine, I'm sure.

photo 026_zpsvnlibr5l.jpg

photo 027_zps2yhfqr9v.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, etc.

photo 010_zpsufqwoixc.jpg

photo 011_zpsvzk8kyp1.jpg

photo 012_zpshllwewn1.jpg

photo 060_zpsbu1b4gj9.jpg

photo 013_zps8ywykfgf.jpg

photo 014_zpsuodmu1kl.jpg

photo 015_zpsd5kkg1gk.jpg

photo 017_zpsrxsbqbxa.jpg

photo 020_zpsmxmsdmih.jpg

photo 021_zpshufle4sk.jpg

photo 022_zpsi5nq4k6f.jpg

photo 023_zpswkfqvdt7.jpg

photo 025_zpsqpymtoh2.jpg

photo 028_zps0uc2owb2.jpg

photo 029_zpsba6oae1a.jpg

photo 030_zpsri1i3hxb.jpg

photo 033_zpsgp9cuqdf.jpg

Getting ready to start; a bright sunny day, but it was only 68 degrees and low dew-point, thank goodness.

photo 031_zpstj5towxx.jpg

photo 032_zpsivi2obhf.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Due to some construction on the campus, the usual 5K route for races held at UIW was not used.  Instead, we did a 2-loop course. I am not fond of a course with more than one loop because I personally get a little bored mentally on the 2nd loop and I always find myself wishing I was done already, lol.  However Jose, of iaapweb.com, did a great job in laying this course out.  The course was a mix of road pavement and off-road trails.  Wooded trails with lots of shade, and very nice and 'peaceful' in there on the trails part of the run. The loops were long and interesting enough to make it feel like you weren't doing 'loops' at all, and he also made sure we finished on pavement - we started out on a dirt/gravel trail, which was a bit difficult to pick up your pace on - so that was nice to be able to pick up the pace near the end for a strong finish if you were so inclined. Also, another nice touch, we went on a walkway under the bleachers at the UIW athletic stadium and on that part of the course there were several water fountains and even restrooms if people needed them.   It was a very well thought-out and laid out course, so kudos to Jose of iaapweb and Virginia of Carrera Races who got this course laid out and approved by the 'powers that be' at UIW.  I actually kind of like this course better than the usual course used for 5Ks at UIW, so I hope they use this one again for future races.

photo 034_zpsnwhufuib.jpg

This was the leader just about finishing his first loop

photo 035_zpsm54hjzac.jpg

And the first two ladies...

photo 037_zpsf5xhj064.jpg

And more participants, on their first loop with me...

photo 036_zpsfewpdz7i.jpg

photo 038_zpssnifxmxs.jpg

This was one speedy little dog!  He (she?) left me in the dust!

photo 039_zpsxexjonyr.jpg

photo 040_zpslnwwoi9n.jpg

Just after starting my 2nd loop...this is the gravel trail we all started out on..glad we did not have to finish on this surface!

photo 041_zpslg2tgmqy.jpg

Some folks coming up to the start/finish line to start their second loop - or maybe some of the more speedy ones were finishing up the race; the guy with the bike is Jose from iaapweb, who laid out the course and was the lead pacer for the head-of-the-pack runners, who is now done with his pace leading and heading back to the finish area.

photo 042_zpsiyidxyet.jpg

photo 043_zpshbsayccc.jpg

photo 044_zpsca4w3iku.jpg

photo 045_zpsoabv8bym.jpg

photo 046_zpsjgaamckj.jpg

photo 047_zpslfvvxhuk.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

I came into the finish with the lady on my left.   I initially passed her. then she caught up to me, then we both RACED for the finish, lol.  I think she finished just a tad ahead of me, or right by me; either way, it was pretty close, and we both seemed to have fun with it.  Her friend joined her and we all had a nice chat.  Very nice ladies.

photo 048_zpsxs3dqzln.jpg

photo 049_zpsugdg4jlu.jpg

My friend, Minnie (of iaapweb) with the two ladies.

photo 050_zpstujbed25.jpg

Tried to get Coco - the dog of the lady in the middle - into the photo, but she was a bit camera-shy I guess, lol.

photo 051_zpsmtmjmbss.jpg

Our Music Man playing the jams for us.  Does anyone say that anymore.."playing the jams"?  Yeah, I'm old-school, lol.

photo 052_zpsp3i13amv.jpg

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, et al....

photo 053_zpsrglzdn6i.jpg

photo 054_zpstz5bjie8.jpg

Nap-time for one young lady, post-race.. 

photo 055_zps31yozfuk.jpg

Going back to my car to get something, I got a photo of these participants on the course, with Old Glory flying proud behind them.

photo 056_zpslyzk3ksm.jpg

My good friend - and one of my 'running crushes" - race director Virginia on the left, here with a couple of her volunteers.

photo 057_zpswk1r4pac.jpg

This young man and I ran together on the course, off-and-on, and chatted a bit on the way.  He did really well.  Very nice young man.  I found out later he was the son of the photographer, also a nice guy.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!  His parents sure raised him right.

photo 058_zpsqvsoc2h4.jpg

photo 059_zpsb2py9j9x.jpg

Some of the goodies, courtesy of La Madeline, a really good local restaurant/bakery.  And they had my favorite - oatmeal raisin cookies!  They were deeeelicious!

photo 061_zpspoklzegs.jpg

Medal winner - US Army guy....HOOAH!  Congrats!

photo 062_zpsc5o3nvpv.jpg

photo 063_zpsewmnijyk.jpg

photo 070_zpslz5isxqp.jpg

photo 068_zpsojrimei0.jpg

See, what you do if you're old like me, is get as many photos as you can with lovely ladies to make yourself look really good! 

photo 064_zpsrzhrom3q.jpg

The speedy little doggie and his human - on the far right - got a medal too.  Here with me and his family/friends

photo 066_zpsmnha8ff8.jpg

photo 069_zpse35l2cmj.jpg

EPILOG

Well done, iaapweb and Carrera Races.  Another quality event put on by you folks!  Nice tech tee shirts, good course, nice post-race goodies, music before, during and after.  Nice age-group medals too.  Definitely a worthwhile event to do for a good cause and for those so inclined, probably a good course to shoot for a 5K PR.  Mucho thanks to all the sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement, UIW authorities, vendors, etc. - all the folks who made all this happen for we participants.

Next up for me:  Alamo Beer 10K on October 17th, which will be Race #50 for me for the year.  I thought Race #50 would be on Sunday, Oct 11, the Pink Heals 5K in San Marcos; but when I checked my calendar, I found I was a week ahead of myself, lol..The Pink Heals is not until October 18th....duhhhh...it''s hell getting old, isn't it?  Memory is about the second thing to go....I don't remember what the first thing is..

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

photo 009_zpsxa86pxzr.jpg

The 12 year old in me would kill to take a pic while straddling the wings of that bad boy.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the AG bling. Your races always look so fun, you make me wish I lived near San Antonio.

Cyberic

Congrats on your 49th of the year, and on 3rd AG. That's a nice gesture of your part to give away the bling to children in hospitals.

Little Blue

Yet another fun race on the S. Dawg resume.

I want to be Bernadette when I grow up. (assuming that she's older than I am.)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Another cool RR and pictures.  I'd just like to sell you all the camera batteries you go through.

Runner with a riding problem.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yet another fun race on the S. Dawg resume.

I want to be Bernadette when I grow up. (assuming that she's older than I am.)

She is 54 going on 25, lol.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Another cool RR and pictures.  I'd just like to sell you all the camera batteries you go through.

Actually, the battery I use is rechargable, so I only use just the one; and I have a backup spare just in case something happens to the first one.