Beginners and Beyond

How to get tuned up for a 10k in two weeks time? (Read 78 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I ran a tough HM a week and a half ago and have spent last week and this recovering and building mileage back up. My legs are fine now, the soreness is gone, and I feel like I am ready to do a speed workout or a long run. I won't do those yet because I don't want to push it and risk injury. That being said, I have a 10k on 27 May and that leaves me two weeks to train. I am used to being on a schedule preparing for an HM that has different workouts built in but for these two weeks I am on my own. Any suggestions? I would like to "race" it and go for a PR, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any advice or ideas.

Love the Half

There is no way to "train" for a race two weeks out.  Put in some speed between now and then and resist the temptation to run a crap ton of miles.  Don't be shocked if your legs feel a bit dead during the race.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Zentastic

Chasing Rainbows

What LTH said.  On your final training run before the race, do a few strides at the end to get that feeling of being speedy.  I find it helps me on race day.

The obstacle is the path. - Zen proverb

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I would suggest not getting sick 2 weeks before a goal 10K and missing a ton of runs Cry

I don't have any advice..... but if you don't mind, I want to add an additional question..... the weekend before a 10K, would you guys recommend for me/ Jack to do one last long run, or to take it easier. The answer you would give Jack may differ from the answer you would give me, however based on training history (I have never ran more than 6 miles in training, while Jack just got done with a HM). Thanks and sorry for the hijack, Jack, if this additional question is not helpful to you.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

Long run?  No.  Since he's been in HM training, he's probably focused a lot on his endurance.  I'd do some shorter, faster stuff but not a lot of volume.  That 10K pace is going to feel very fast.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

This.  Maybe some strides and intervals but don't overdo it. There is little you can do in two weeks.

Long run?  No.  Since he's been in HM training, he's probably focused a lot on his endurance.  I'd do some shorter, faster stuff but not a lot of volume.  That 10K pace is going to feel very fast.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Thanks, you guys. I am comfortable with my fitness and I know you can't "train" in just two weeks. I am just hoping to be fresh and ready to race the 10k. It is a bit too close to my HM so I am being realistic with it. Thanks again.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

What about for me? I have a 10K on May 19th. I have done 3 runs over 5 miles in the past month, and in the month before that 4 in the 4-4.5 mile range.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I was going to start a thread to ask, but decided instead of 2 threads about upcoming 10Ks I would just tag onto Jack's

hog4life

Me three! I got one on the 27th too.

Bin Running

I am running 2 HM 2 weeks apart.. Based on my limited knowledge, I am going to do 1 repeat (800m) and the rest are mainly easy run w/ strides..

<col style="width: 18pt;" width="24" /> <col style="width: 59pt;" width="79" /> <col style="width: 58pt;" width="77" /> <col style="width: 50pt;" span="2" width="67" /> <col style="width: 41pt;" width="55" /> <col style="width: 31pt;" width="41" /> <col style="width: 13pt;" width="17" />
                        6M Dress rehearsal
                         6M w/2M @ goal
                        Recover 6M
                        w/6x100m stride
                        Recover 4M
                        w/6x100m stride
                        Rest Sundown HM Recovery
                        3M
                        Rest VO2 8M w/ 5 x 800
                        @ 5K, 90s jog
                        Recover 6M
                        w/6x100m stride
                        9M Rest 8M  7M 38
                        Rest Recover 6M
                        w/6x100m stride
                        Dress rehearsal 6M
                        w/2M @ goal
                        Recover 4M Recover 4M
                        w/6x100m stride
                        Rest Bali 34

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Love the Half

What about for me? I have a 10K on May 19th. I have done 3 runs over 5 miles in the past month, and in the month before that 4 in the 4-4.5 mile range.

In your case, endurance is the issue and a longer run may well be a good run a week out.  Even then, I'd do some strides and maybe something like 4 x 200 or some strides on Wednesday.  You want that pop in your legs on race day.

BruceD555

Long run?  No.  Since he's been in HM training, he's probably focused a lot on his endurance.  I'd do some shorter, faster stuff but not a lot of volume.  That 10K pace is going to feel very fast and it's gonna hurt.

This^^. Plus the added comment.

Train smart ... race smarter.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Jack, this is a good point. But fast doesn't mean sprint/mile/5K fast pace. As tough as that HM was I wouldn't suggest any really hard or long runs before your 10K. Probably the best thing would be to get used to the faster pace of a 10K. Maybe some short, 20-25 minute tempo runs at 10K pace. That will get you working but it's short enough that it shouldn't exhaust you. Another option would be using the last couple miles of a medium length run as a progression with the last mile at 10K pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just continue with your final long run this weekend then cut back your mileage a little next week by shortening your runs, not skipping one. I wouldn't add anything new, so if you haven't been running any speedwork, I wouldn't add it, even strides.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.