Beginners and Beyond

Short Week Monday Penguins! (Read 20 times)

From the Internet.

sapf - yay! I get to run in the same - going to snow all day Wednesday and a little bit Wednesday night. It's also the start of the winter running game, so what better way to kick that off too?

Traci - yup! Also, re: your sub-30 5K, instead of trying to gun for it every week, maybe try some longer intervals at or near goal pace (like 3x1 mile, 6x800, 5x1000) once a week for the next few weeks and then see if you can hit it? You'll get more time running at goal pace that way, since you get recoveries in between reps.

From the Internet.

Also, I think something's wrong with me. My legs feel good and this happened:

tracilynn

sapf - yay! I get to run in the same - going to snow all day Wednesday and a little bit Wednesday night. It's also the start of the winter running game, so what better way to kick that off too?

Traci - yup! Also, re: your sub-30 5K, instead of trying to gun for it every week, maybe try some longer intervals at or near goal pace (li Ifke 3x1 mile, 6x800, 5x1000) once a week for the next few weeks and then see if you can hit it? You'll get more time running at goal pace that way, since you get recoveries in between reps.

Okay. I'm gonna do that!  If I do the 3x 1 mile how long:far should I rest ?

~~~~~~~

Traci

From the Internet.

Last time I did 3x1 mile at 5K pace with my club we rested - like total rest, not jogging - 2:30 between reps, you could probably even stretch that to 3 minutes if you want since you'll be on your feet longer for each rep.

GinnyinPA

Definitely a dentist day.  Not for me fortunately, but we did get to go to the dermatologist to burn some sun damage off DH's face.  He goes twice a year to get frozen.

PAD - a lot of people run doubles.  As long as you get the miles in, it works.  Just don't do two hard ones right next to each other - i.e. easy a.m., then intervals in the evening, then easy the next morning, not a tempo run.

D -have fun at the gym

HM - good luck getting everything done before the holiday.  That cheesecake sounds great.

Jack - Angels Landing is a good hike, but I also like the one on the opposite side of the canyon.  But then, they're all beautiful.

Lauren - I may try the streak.  I only run 5 days a week now, but I could do a mile on the TM before or after dinner. Trouble is we may be travelling after Christmas, so mine would end early.  Good job on getting all those miles in.  You must be feeling completely recovered from your surgery. Yea!

sapf - you know the warm weather isn't going to last, right?  What HM is in January in NY?

Scotty- Happy Thanksgiving.  I hope you have a great trip.

Brilliant - I love those kind of days.  Good job.

Traci - you might try shorter intervals first - 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile, to get used to the speed of the TM.  I know when I go 5k pace on the TM, it feels way too fast, so I do short speed intervals and long ones only at tempo pace. My one and only speed session with the local club we did two minutes hard/5k pace, with 1 minute walk, followed by 4 minutes at tempo pace with two minutes walking.  And yes, the holiday streak is Thanksgiving to New Years.

SF - I hope you have a big freezer for all the meat.  Good job on the three, even if they weren't pretty.

AFM:  it was a gorgeous day here, 65 and sunny, but I spent it running errands instead of outdoors, aside from our usual morning walk with Ben.  I did get four recovery miles on the TM just as it was getting dark.  Legs felt surprisingly good after yesterday's long run.

I was supposed to do a turkey trop on Thanksgiving, but the current forecast is 6 - 10 inches of snow on Wednesday.  I don't know if they'll even have the race (will the streets and parking areas be plowed?) and we have a 2 1/2 hour drive to Maryland afterwards.  It gets more iffy if I run the race, drive 1/2 hour home to get showered and changed, then drive 2 1/2 hours which would more likely be three or more with snow and ice on the road, so I'll probably miss it.  I'm disappointed.  OTOH, the forecasters are wrong more often than right, so the storm may miss us completely.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I ran at lunchtime today.  1 mile outside and it started to rain as I hit the first 1/2 mile so I went back to my truck.  Since I had parked across the street from the gym, and it's free on Fort Stewart, I went there and did another 3 miles on the treadmill.  I made me smile by not quitting so easily today.

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Long run rest day for us, but I did go to my gym and DW went to Curves.

Hey fellow 'guins!

Hope everyone's pearly whites are in good shape. I've had a long standing crush on my dentist so I never mind going. 

I signed up for the Holiday streak. Did it last year and I was really surprised how it got under my skin and built up my miles a lot...for me.

I've been reading some articles about building base miles over winter and put together a 10 week plan to get me to 30ish mpw. Then following it with a 12 week half marathon training plan. In the midst of it all, I set two big goals...sub 30 5k, and 2:30 half.

Traci,  I've been paying attention to your posts and hope we can both achieve these goals.

Scotty, loved your race pics!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K