Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES: Cruel and unusual punishment for the working class (Read 53 times)

happylily

Back in buttoned-up, prudish Victorian-era England, the French had the reputation of more sexual openness, which was generally considered quite offensive. You know about French kissing; also condoms were referred to as "French letters", and herpes was "the French disease". So any off-color language must naturally be French.

I don't believe you. The French were never like that at all... Sexual openness? That's gross...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

I ran my 7 miles and it was an exercise in futility. I should have taken a rest day...

Cyberic

Back in buttoned-up, prudish Victorian-era England, the French had the reputation of more sexual openness, which was generally considered quite offensive. You know about French kissing; also condoms were referred to as "French letters", and herpes was "the French disease". So any off-color language must naturally be French.

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I'm now very disappointed with my ancestors.

No, no one said ass...

Did someone say derriere?

Dave

Thanks for the explanation Dave. I'm now very disappointed with my ancestors.

Your ancestors are English?

Dave

happylily

Dave is in fine form tonight.

Sorry for the rant, I had to get this out of my system 

Free, please tell all that to your husband if you haven't.

10 at GMP in the AC.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Free, please tell all that to your husband if you haven't.

10 at GMP in the AC.

I have, quite a few times.... He just doesn't get it, he likes to brag or boast to others on how much work I put into myself but doesn't get what sacrifices I have to make in order to do it 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Yes, I am still alive.  Running has been tough since the blood clot. The medicine caused me to pull muscles easily. Two years or suck, but I think I am finally going to be able to get serious again in the fall.

Hope it is all great for you from here on in, Dan!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I don't believe you. The French were never like that at all... Sexual openness? That's gross...

Quote from DaveP MI on 7/13/2015 at 6:11 PM:

That prudish Victorian England thing is a myth...to paraphrase Benjamin Disraeli, one of the Prime Ministers during that time..."if you put a roof on England it would be the biggest whorehouse in the world..." or something to that effect...and Queen Victoria herself had 9 children...I don't think they were all artificially inseminated....  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt