Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

Maybe we should band together!   Who is battling what?   Seen a doc?  Prognosis?  Level of frustration?

Over the last four years, I have battled injuries for my:

ITBS/knee pain

Back

Neck

Tibial tendonitis/ankle pain

And now it's my upper inner thigh.  WTF

cmb4314

Broke my ankle in February, and didn't run for 4 months.

Ran sparingly for 2 weeks, no more than 6 minutes in any continuous stretch, while also doing tons of hip strengthening exercises to try to prevent injury......and got ITBS anyway.

Been fighting with the IT band for about a month now.  Does not seem to want to improve at all, even after multiple weeks with no running. I've been trying to bike and swim since they bother it less, but I want to run, damnit!

I have an appointment with my PT on 7/30, and hopefully she can do something for me (Graston?) to help shake the ITBS.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Hip Redux

YES, try Graston.  That was really what ultimately helped me with my ITBS.  (and I now do self-Graston to maintain my ITB happiness).

onemile

YES, try Graston.  That was really what ultimately helped me with my ITBS.  (and I now do self-Graston to maintain my ITB happiness).

+1.  I give Graston a lot of credit for helping me run uninjured lately.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Cmb, I'm gonna go out on a limb on this one but check your running form.  Of course I have never seen you run so that is why I am making  a pure guess.  I am a firm believer that a lot of hip and ITB problems can be traced to a running form where the arms swing across the body somewhat.  Essentially that forces the shoulders to twist slightly forward and back.  While seemingly natural, it instead causes a rotational twist in the core trunk area that is less natural -- resulting in possible tendon and ligament strains.

I try to run with my shoulders square to the line I am moving on, almost like I am holding them back for good posture.  My arms thus swing nearly straight forward on my side, kind of how the 100m sprinters slice their hands when running fast.  While that's a bit exaggerated, the idea is to keep the body pretty square to the line moving forward and the shoulders stay quiet and relaxed.

Hip Redux

+1.  I give Graston a lot of credit for helping me run uninjured lately.

I have seriously considered how to graston my groin.

onemile

I have seriously considered how to graston my groin.

I do the self-graston too but I find it difficult to hurt myself as badly as my chiro hurts me.  So I'd just go in.  I've lost any embarrassment about having my chiro get all up in my business.  As long as it keeps me running, I don't care.  Big grin

Oh, and this is the best thing I've found for it so far:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1035404_-1_400157__400157

Love the Half

I hurt my left hamstring on January 1, 2011 doing hill sprints.  It has never fully healed and I just assume it never will.  The only serious injury I have had has been Achilles tendonosis that knocked me out for six weeks in July/August, 2011 and I spent a month in PT after that.  Mind you, I'm 50 years old so something always hurts.  Hell, if I only ran when something didn't hurt, I'd never run but I run through pretty much anything that doesn't force me to alter my gait.  Currently, it's a bruised foot.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

My foot started hurting the first week of April. I had an x-ray taken and found out I have an extra bone in my foot (accessory navicular) that needs to be removed. My surgery is on August 26 and I should be able to start "walking briskly" by November. I prefer running in the winter anyways. Tongue

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

delicate flower

Hang in there, gimps and gimpettes!  When I was on the DL, I was thinking "Well at least it's during the cold winter months."  Now I'm thinking, "Well at least you're hurt during this insufferable heat."

<3

#artbydmcbride

Bad hamstring/sciatic pain issue.  Saw a physical therapist last night and have new exercises to do.  Chiropractic adjustments did nothing.  And I have an appointment for July 26 at the 'pain clinic'.

Runners run

Hip Redux

Bad hamstring/sciatic pain issue.  Saw a physical therapist last night and have new exercises to do.  Chiropractic adjustments did nothing.  And I have an appointment for July 26 at the 'pain clinic'.

Ooof, been there.  Sad

I know the nurses by name at the pain clinic at the hospital.  That's not a good thing. lol

cmb4314

Cmb, I'm gonna go out on a limb on this one but check your running form.  Of course I have never seen you run so that is why I am making  a pure guess.  I am a firm believer that a lot of hip and ITB problems can be traced to a running form where the arms swing across the body somewhat.  Essentially that forces the shoulders to twist slightly forward and back.  While seemingly natural, it instead causes a rotational twist in the core trunk area that is less natural -- resulting in possible tendon and ligament strains.

I try to run with my shoulders square to the line I am moving on, almost like I am holding them back for good posture.  My arms thus swing nearly straight forward on my side, kind of how the 100m sprinters slice their hands when running fast.  While that's a bit exaggerated, the idea is to keep the body pretty square to the line moving forward and the shoulders stay quiet and relaxed.

I think I run with my shoulders are nice and square, but if you ever saw the angle at which my right leg is attached to my body, you'd understand why I have had problems with my right IT band Big grin

Add to the crookedness the fact that that knee was surgically repaired when I was a teenager and may or may not have some residual weakness from that, and the ankle on that same leg is the one I broke/sprained and had surgically repaired in February....and yeah, my right leg is a biomechanical nightmare.

I am getting a running analysis done when I go to the PT, though.  Perhaps that will help.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hip pain for about a month now. Very small ache, but flares up after a few miles, then its limping home.  Just walking last 2 weeks.  Went to Athletico PT for eval and they gave me exercises and reported to Dr.  PT thinks tendonitis, but was a little perplexed.  Seeing Dr. on Monday.  Doesn't get better with rest.  WTF?    Sad

Great thread Oski.  Another venue for venting !!!

bluerun

Super B****

My pelvis hates me.

It's mutual.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog