Beginners and Beyond

Report/Photos/Costumes: San Antonio Road Runners Fiesta Fandango Fun Run (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2029%20Fiesta%20Fandango

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

On April 29th, my 29th race of 2017 was the Fiesta Fandango Fun Run put on by the San Antonio Road Runners.  This event is was my 2nd night-time event after doing the Carnival of Venice 5K on Friday night.  Like the Carnival of Venice, the Fandango Run is also part of the 10-day Fiesta San Antonio activities.  The run is a 2.6 mile evening run that goes along the route of the San Antonio Fiesta Flambeau parade, the largest night time parade in the US.  Runners and walkers park near the San Antonio Zoo and then are bused over to the start.  Prior to the run, there is a costume contest, so lots of participants are in various get-ups for this one.  I arrived at the busing are around 4:30 pm. and got a few photos.

photo 001_zpsduowbuvv.jpg

photo 002_zpstypit7ve.jpg

the official photographer

photo 003_zpsotgwhodg.jpg

photo 004_zpsuo3yzi4q.jpg

photo 005_zps1rgh5mtt.jpg

photo 006_zpsvtxkjvrd.jpg

photo 007_zpsak2n6ylg.jpg

photo 008_zpsnq0w2zew.jpg

photo 009_zpsron0wkmv.jpg

photo 010_zpsv7vw35vn.jpg

photo 012_zpsw5c7emha.jpg

photo 013_zpsmcxnoqis.jpg

photo 014_zpsmpbdxyqn.jpg

photo 015_zpsoietwvi8.jpg

photo 016_zpsb0chqjmz.jpg

photo 017_zpsm942onyx.jpg

photo 018_zps8omqzmza.jpg

photo 019_zps32zn58rg.jpg

photo 020_zps1n9muund.jpg

photo 021_zpsuruz1rkp.jpg

photo 022_zpsh43bivar.jpg

After taking the shuttle over to the start area, got a few more photos.  One of the bennies of this event is the start area is near some of the parade floats and participants in the parade, so you get a nice close-up look at some of them.

photo 023_zpshyettzxc.jpg

photo 024_zpspau3gxpb.jpg

photo 025_zpsf9lwsj6y.jpg

photo 026_zpsljnvadk3.jpg

photo 028_zpsuuv94k3j.jpg

photo 029_zpsrnbulczc.jpg

photo 030_zpsp6yot87l.jpg

photo 031_zpsverkqet2.jpg

photo 032_zpsoeiiixiv.jpg

photo 033_zpskeo6kd4y.jpg

photo 034_zpsrncom40s.jpg

Near the start area...

photo 027_zpsr7ikcwb6.jpg

photo 035_zpsobqfyonv.jpg

photo 037_zpsnczpfsio.jpg

At the start area

photo 040_zpsundwg4tt.jpg photo 038_zpsxxnyr8qa.jpg

photo 042_zpsdqnwbscd.jpg

photo 043_zpsrrylwsyh.jpg

photo 044_zpsaxy9jyij.jpg

photo 045_zps3gioom8h.jpg

photo 046_zpsduan5n2k.jpg

photo 047_zpsbldqkjak.jpg

photo 048_zpsdzurb64m.jpg

photo 049_zpshnon6uo5.jpg

photo 050_zpsbs7tveis.jpg

photo 051_zpswnm6hvbx.jpg

photo 052_zpsnui4up2w.jpg

photo 053_zpszzyogzwm.jpg

photo 054_zpsmipbxjcp.jpg

photo 055_zpsrca4fxm6.jpg

photo 056_zpsjadwl2rr.jpg

photo 061_zpsgb3fsob6.jpg

photo 063_zps21plrosg.jpg

photo 064_zpsqoxxn7z1.jpg

photo 065_zps5ehokssc.jpg

photo 067_zpsl3qgrppg.jpg

photo 069_zpsuzmdlukd.jpg

photo 070_zpstrh5y8ro.jpg

this guy had to be warm, wearing that spurs coyote head..

photo 074_zpswfwjbs1p.jpg

photo 075_zpswftmsvus.jpg

LOTS of people waiting to get going on the course..

photo 058_zpsznvab6f6.jpg

photo 059_zpshgc8jkuw.jpg

photo 060_zpseaogq9sk.jpg

photo 062_zpssvnr22ov.jpg

Tower of Americas in the distance

photo 072_zpsecuf6knv.jpg

photo 073_zpslcbdkyoc.jpg

ON THE COURSE

With a 6:40 start time for the run, pretty darn warm, about 80-something, and no wind either, so very humid too; normal for this event, so everyone pretty much expects it.  It is pretty rare we get a cooler day for the run.  I’ve done this one several times and out of the many I’ve done, there were very few where we got a cooler day.  Some of the participants in elaborate costumes, I just don’t see how they do it, had to be quite warm for them.  Even so, this one is a lot of fun, running or walking along the parade route with thousands of spectators already in place for the parade, all cheering you on, kids holding out hands to get low-and-high fives, sometimes kids shooting at you with those big water guns – which, in this heat, was actually pleasantly received by some of us runners, lol; just a whole lot of crowd interaction and a whole lot of fun.

Going down Broadway

photo 076_zps9blco3eh.jpg

photo 077_zpsbtnlgvqd.jpg

photo 078_zps6ee4o5yc.jpg

photo 079_zpsdxo92sak.jpg

photo 080_zpsj8jsvmb4.jpg

On Alamo Street

photo 082_zpsoi7s63kk.jpg

photo 083_zpsqwnl7eov.jpg

Going down Commerce Street

This spectator is enjoying Fiesta

photo 084_zpseblmtbmk.jpg

photo 085_zpsjzjq2tnf.jpg

photo 087_zpsqoqxu3b2.jpg

photo 088_zpstpb0juzt.jpg

More crowd support.  That beer that young lady was holding sure looked good to me at about this point, lol.

photo 089_zpsch46dqj2.jpg

photo 090_zps5uoi6zqf.jpg

photo 091_zpscmsc1het.jpg

photo 092_zpstglfvkw4.jpg

Finishing up on Santa Rosa Street

photo 093_zpsswjahcj5.jpg

photo 094_zpsffrg5det.jpg

photo 095_zpspfdma8in.jpg

photo 096_zps8igyh3oq.jpg

photo 097_zps1wbwrgj0.jpg

photo 099_zpsh0zm30c4.jpg

photo 100_zpswyrc7kwg.jpg

photo 101_zpsdnuk01vq.jpg

photo 102_zps8dmwix5y.jpg

photo 103_zps2bvgr72g.jpg

photo 104_zpssvgbgx6k.jpg

photo 105_zpsjlrrmtwz.jpg

AFTER PARTY
    Post-run festivities were at a park near the San Antonio Children’s Hospital.  Having done this so many times before, I knew where everything was and went right to the wading pool with the Gatorade to hydrate, drank a couple of those down, and then off to get a nice cold beer. There was also cotton candy, popcorn, and other stuff.   Wandered around sipping my beer and getting some after-photos.   After that, back onto one of the waiting shuttle buses for a ride back to the Zoo area, and then home for the night.    After I got home and relaxed a bit, I slept pretty darn well when I finally went to bed.

photo 106_zpsfc6vk26s.jpg

photo 107_zpsuavtd4um.jpg

photo 108_zpsligf7yck.jpg

photo 109_zpszrjleqpf.jpg

photo 110_zpss7idhsia.jpg

photo 112_zps8kjpgsrm.jpg

photo 113_zpsqwpfgp7i.jpg

photo 114_zpscybbg9nl.jpg

photo 115_zpsmc4wc6dr.jpg

photo 116_zpsgx280luk.jpg

photo 117_zpsbggwubyx.jpg

photo 118_zpslpw0tag3.jpg

photo 119_zpss7xfxwcc.jpg

photo 120_zpsgmogirwh.jpg

photo 121_zpstnt4fzib.jpg

photo 122_zpskgjgxlul.jpg

photo 123_zpstpkyuukc.jpg

photo 124_zpsv4ye8eah.jpg

photo 125_zpsvchxdghx.jpg

photo 126_zpsgkkcmxvz.jpg

photo 127_zpszbhlqka8.jpg

photo 128_zpstjwjb2j7.jpg

EPILOGUE

Such a fun event, one of my favorite runs of the year. This race has made the Runner’s World magazine "Runner's Bucket List of “200 Runs you must do before you die.”  If I remember correctly, this race started in 1983 – the year I actually became a runner.  So both me and the run are celebrating 34 years.   I never heard of it until I got to Texas in 1994 but since 1996, when I retired from the Air Force, I have done this event as many times as I could.  I’m not sure how many that is – I know it’s pretty close to 20, maybe even a little more – but one thing  I know, I sure will keep on doing it in the future.  What’s not to like?  Well, aside from the heat.  Nice race shirt, nice Fiesta medal, really fun course, great participants, nice after-party, fun and imaginative costumes to see, super crowd support. Oh yeah, this one is a keeper!

MUCHO thanks to all who make this one happen for us participants each year:  The San Antonio Road Runners, all the volunteers, all the sponsors, all the law enforcement folks that were out there for us, etc.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

The costumes and outfits are great.  Looks like people were having a lot of fun, but some of them must have been melting.