Beginners and Beyond

Question about shoes for You Who Know These Things (Read 32 times)

Little Blue

Hey ya'll, gotta question:

I've been having a bit of pain in my Achilles, both legs, which goes away after a mile or two.  Today I pulled a bonehead move, and put on the most worn, flat, scruffy shoes in my collection.  Think, yard work shoes.  I didn't notice until I got to the rail trail, and I wasn't going home to change, so I thought I'd run a bit unless something really hurt.  It's packed dirt, so nice and soft.

Lo and behold, not a hint of Achilles pain.  Now, the hamstrings and left knee were all "WTF??", but I expected that.  I ran 4.

OK, I'm getting to the question:  I don't know anything about drop in shoes, but is it possible that I need a shoe with less drop?  I have worn Asics 2000-X for many years (and whatever was the same model before that.) Here's what they say about the current iteration:  Heel Height: 21mm. Forefoot Height: 11mm.

I probably need to find something different, as either my feet are fat, or the shoes are getting narrower.  Is drop a detail I should be considering, or pure coincidence?  I might try them for a couple of miles on an asphalt trail, just for grins.

Thanks!

Cyberic

Personnally, drop makes a difference.

When I run with 12mm drop, I feel it more on the front of my legs (knees, shins, quads). When I use 4-5mm drop, I feel it more in my Achilles, hamstring.

But that is not the only reason to explain injuries or pains. Just a factor. I know some people who don't care about the drop, and they're fine.

But I like to choose depending on pains. I have run with 5mm drop shoes a lot lately, and my Achilles is a little sore. So I'll run with more drop for a couple of days.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I think drop is one of the personal things. My achilles and lower legs get cranky with anything less than 12mm drop, so I stick with the 12mm shoes.

Maybe you can find some previous years' models of lower drop shoes to try?

What type of shoes do you wear when not running? In warmer weather, I wear wedge sandals to work most days, they have about a 2 inch heel. In cooler weather, I wear flats. I definitely notice a difference when I switch between work shoe types.

Little Blue

Huh.  So Eric feels it in his Achilles with less drop, and Half Crazy feels better with more drop.  Huh.

Is it even rational to think that drop would change enough to notice, just because the shoes are extremely worn?  I know the inners compress, but that much?

It sounds like a trip to Fleet Feet is in my future.

Oh, and I pretty much live in running shoes and work boots (well, Merrill hiking boots.)  It's a rare thing for me to wear anything else.

Docket_Rocket

I think they are both saying the same thing. Lower drop-more achilles issues. Same thing happens to me.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Little Blue

AAAAAAAAAAaiiiiiiiiiiireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh!!!  I'm so confused.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Unlike Cyberic, I get front of shin pain as well with lower drop shoes.

Pretty sure drop is one of those things there is no single answer, kinda like shoes, what works for one person doesn't work for someone else.

Cyberic

Not complicated:

Drop means how much higher the heel is compared to the forefoot.

0 mm drop is like being bare foot, and women high heel shoes have a huuuuge drop.

So a lower drop (0mm, 4mm) means your heel is lower to the ground (same height as the forefoot). That stretches the calf and Achilles more than if the heel was higher. That is why for some people, like me, a lower drop is harder on my Achilles as with every step, it stretches more than if the heel stayed higher off the ground.

Little Blue

I'm suspecting that it was my imagination, and the running gods are giggling because I fell for it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm suspecting that it was my imagination, and the running gods are giggling because I fell for it.

Maybe a giggle. At least the running gods didn't convince you to go buy several pairs of new low-drop shoes.