Beginners and Beyond

When you have to DNS a race (Read 139 times)

happylily

Hilary, don't give up on Boston just yet, but also remember how you feel when you are unable to run. You feel unhappy. Don't put yourself in a position where you feel you have to train in a way that could potentially injure you again. In the past, on numerous occasions, you yourself have mentioned that you would never do a marathon because your body wasn't meant for that distance. Maybe that is not true. But maybe it is. Just be careful. I think running Boston isn't that important if it means risking future injuries that could prevent you from running.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Nevrgivup

Hilary, don't give up on Boston just yet, but also remember how you feel when you are unable to run. You feel unhappy. Don't put yourself in a position where you feel you have to train in a way that could potentially injure you again. In the past, on numerous occasions, you yourself have mentioned that you would never do a marathon because your body wasn't meant for that distance. Maybe that is not true. But maybe it is. Just be careful. I think running Boston isn't that important if it means risking future injuries that could prevent you from running.

The only way to find out is by attempting to do it. I said this because I am more prone to injury than some. I have a few imbalances that cause me to get injured more frequently. My goal is to work on these with my physiatrist and physical therapy. I also never had the opportunity that this offers me. If I have to take a few months off after than so be it. I have found other outlets such as swimming and cross-training. Its not running, but is something. This year in Boston will be like no other and I don't want to miss it. I also need to never say never, because you never know. Goals really do change over the years.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

No more marathons

Nevrgivup,

Whatever you decide, whether as runner or volunteer, I hope to have the privilege of meeting and saying hello on April 21 in Boston.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Nevrgivup

Nevrgivup,

Whatever you decide, whether as runner or volunteer, I hope to have the privilege of meeting and saying hello on April 21 in Boston.

Thank you. This is very nice. There are so many FE that day that will be going on. I will have to take an extra battery just to keep my cellphone charged for pictures, status updates, and to contact all my family and friends.

Nevrgivup

So I've been thinking about whether I should pick up my race bib for Boston just to have as a momento since I will not be running it. I guess it was an honor to have been recognized by the BAA. Most of you guys know that I had surgery and will be taking a few months off from running. I got the green light to start running, when I'm ready.  I will be going up to the expo on Friday with some friends if anyone wants to meet for a FE.

MothAudio

Oh, definitely pick up your bib. You'll want to keep everything related.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RSX

I had 2 Boston DNS' after 5 finishes and I still went to get everything. That Expo is great and I try to go every year whether I run or not. I will be there Saturday, Sunday, or both. I have a Boston poster with 30+ signatures and will add to it.

Nevrgivup

Oh, definitely pick up your bib. You'll want to keep everything related.

I love this idea. I think what I'll do is make a similar one with the essay, invitation, and the bib. It will make a really nice addition to my study and love for the marathon. <3

RSX- We should meet at the expo. Would be nice to put a name to a face. Smile

RSX

RSX- We should meet at the expo. Would be nice to put a name to a face. Smile

Yes. Let's touch base when it gets closer.

Just B.S.

Hil this is what I gave hubby for Father's Day after he ran Boston in 2010. The medal is not there becuase

this was a surprise gift and he keeps his Boston medal at work. I can always drape it over the frame if he

ever bring it home again Smile  It was my idea to have the timing chip on the blue frame. It was a really slow

race for him at 3:41 but he had a blast and amazing memories to go with it.

Nevrgivup

Hil this is what I gave hubby for Father's Day after he ran Boston in 2010. The medal is not there becuase

this was a surprise gift and he keeps his Boston medal at work. I can always drape it over the frame if he

ever bring it home again Smile  It was my idea to have the timing chip on the blue frame. It was a really slow

race for him at 3:41 but he had a blast and amazing memories to go with it.

Beth that is really nice. I will make something out of the memoirs that I have of Boston. I have three really nice pins and jackets from the last 3 years of volunteering. I also really like the idea of putting my essay, the invite, and the bib in a showcase of some sort. Given my circumstances now, it is what it is. I will be there smiling in whatever capacity it is in April. At least as a volunteer, I will get another very nice pin and the jacket at no cost to me.  Boston will always be a special place to me. It is also a very nice feeling to support and "nurse" the runners.