Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Our Lady of the Lake University Confetti 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/Race%20No%2023%20Our%20Lady%20of%20the%20Lake%20Confetti%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.  My camera is also not the greatest with changing light conditions, dark, etc.

BEFORE MY START

Held on April 1st, this was an inaugural 5K for Our Lady Of the Lake University, one of San Antonio’s oldest institutions of higher education.  Liz, the Race Director, invited me personally to attend this and then surprised me by having my race shirt already printed up with my personal motivation logo; a very nice surprise and so nice of her.  Nice quality tech tee race shirt, already “race-and run ready” for me, sweet.  My cat, Sinatra, seemed to appreciate it too...he got a few sniffs of the shirt, apparently approved, and plopped down right on it.

Race day gear set out, with that lovely shirt Liz gave me

photo 001_zpstjzqug4k.jpg

I arrived on the campus grounds with about an hour to go until the 9 a.m. start time.  The place was already humming with activity:  people doing race day registration, people picking up their timing chips, vendors/sponsors setting up and already handing out stuff, iaapweb – a local race management company – setting up the course and timing computers, etc.  LOTS of people because this race sold out – I think there were around 600 participants or close to that - which is pretty darn good for an inaugural event.  Lots of photo ops for me, lol.

Me and friend, Bernadette.  This race day was her birthday, she moved into a new age group, and promptly celebrated by placing first in her age group.

photo 002_zpsqvgimbmn.jpg

Me and Lovely Liz, the Race Director

photo 004_zpssoscfetj.jpg

With friend and co-veteran Albert

photo 007_zpsnfj0nanq.jpg

Liz and some guy....   ok, my friend Roy

photo 005_zpssma7rq76.jpg

photo 008_zps6hvwdbvd.jpg

photo 009_zpsj2gocd8p.jpg

iaapweb folks who did the course setup, timing, results, etc

photo 006_zps3pyhxqpg.jpg

photo 037_zps1xtulwlv.jpg

photo 067_zpsp3unxbkb.jpg

Some of the other participants, volunteers, etc.

photo 003_zpschlc32sn.jpg

photo 010_zpssgg1t90g.jpg

Closeup of a lovely lady

photo 011_zpskmh0w6jc.jpg

photo 013_zps0kxpcnoa.jpg

photo 012_zpskvbuzkbo.jpg

photo 014_zpsucr3ss59.jpg

photo 015_zpslpe5kipz.jpg

photo 017_zpsyjj5cjwt.jpg

My friend on the right is pointing to one of the university buildings...she is an alumna

photo 016_zpsyjwr3eo1.jpg

photo 018_zpskn7k7u81.jpg

photo 022_zpshl6gflea.jpg

photo 101_zpsleqo3sao.jpg

photo 019_zpsuuft7hls.jpg

photo 020_zpshezzd904.jpg

photo 021_zpscubdead7.jpg

Because this month is Easter, after the race there was an Easter Egg Hunt for all the kiddies.   Mr. Rabbit was onsite for that

photo 023_zpshfppp1ee.jpg

photo 024_zpsqbu9wkdx.jpg

photo 025_zpsyu6hpfu3.jpg

photo 026_zpsjf0h90gq.jpg

photo 033_zpsouocarwp.jpg

photo 034_zpsfsjuzrj0.jpg

photo 035_zpsludw3214.jpg

photo 036_zpsvzvgmrh5.jpg

This will be my first stop after the race....love some Alamo Beer!

photo 027_zpswlyjoumh.jpg

And then it will be on to the Kiolbassa Sausage area....love their sausages

photo 032_zpslqoiimhd.jpg

April is also when Fiesta San Antonio starts!  Torchy here is the mascot of the Fiesta Flambeau Parade, the largest night-time parade in the US.

photo 028_zpsvfctkcuo.jpg

photo 029_zpskpzumhnp.jpg

photo 030_zps6kugbb0g.jpg

photo 031_zpsfzkumbhk.jpg

At the starting area

photo 038_zpsal7atdpf.jpg

Eye in the Sky

photo 039_zpswq5eguej.jpg

photo 040_zpsjn8fmfob.jpg

photo 046_zps1pfqgmxk.jpg

photo 043_zpszc3xkrsg.jpg

photo 044_zpsufpzjjtv.jpg

photo 045_zpsqqqmxnnl.jpg

Umm..we are starting...don't they have the sign backwards... 

photo 042_zpssevehujs.jpg

BOOM!  goes the confetti cannon and off we go through the confetti!

photo 047_zpsyl1iuwwt.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Rain was threatening in the area and the skies were filled with dark clouds, but it never did rain on us.  Around 64 degrees for our start, with just a slight wind and it really did not feel to me all that humid; a pretty nice morning for a race.  The course:  I don’t know who laid this course out, but in my 30+ years of running, this was personally for me one of the best courses I’ve ever done.  A brief time on some campus roads, then onto a broad sidewalk that looped us over bridges and around a beautiful lake near the university.  Very scenic and, from where I was at any given time, ample room for everyone to pretty much move freely, I never saw anyone fall, get impeded, etc.  After that loop, we went back onto the campus roads, returning the way we had first come out.  Very well thought out because, with the size of the loop, by the time participants were heading back to the finish, there were no other participants coming toward us, as all the ‘back of the pack’ folks had ample time to get to the loop before the majority of the runners got back to the head-to-the-finish location.  Perhaps some of those speedy 5 – 7 or 8 –minute miler front-runners saw people coming toward them, but most of us had the way back all to ourselves, very nice.   I ended up 4th in my age group with a chip time of 33:01.  I probably might have gone a bit faster, but I stopped a bit more than I usually do because just too darn many photo ops around that lake, lol.  GREAT course!  Although...I was kinda disappointed I did not see the Lady of the Lake in the water with that famous sword in her hand...but after I was done one of the Sisters who work at the university told me that was a different Lady of the Lake then theirs. 

photo 049_zpsxxkyjn54.jpg

photo 050_zpsmmyoeqvr.jpg

Thanks, volunteers!

photo 051_zpspr5e7s2u.jpg

photo 052_zpsozdckmho.jpg

photo 053_zpsxmppuiud.jpg

photo 054_zpsp5a6b1ur.jpg

photo 055_zpscisoufo1.jpg

photo 056_zpsxppo4s1g.jpg

photo 057_zpslquktp6g.jpg

photo 058_zpsbguazngz.jpg

photo 059_zps7tsosev7.jpg

photo 060_zpsqh199gaw.jpg

photo 061_zpsfuav8mvs.jpg

photo 062_zpsiqqzczqt.jpg

Heading back to the campus roads...nice view from across the lake

photo 063_zps6qm6jlnv.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Souvenir medals of this inaugural race given to each finisher coming through the chute.  After that I wandered around taking random photos of ‘happy finishers”, vendors, volunteers, etc.

photo 064_zpsojgl30wp.jpg

I ran in this shirt...and kept the race shirt for a dry shirt to put on after the race

photo 065_zpsyys85ktf.jpg

photo 068_zpszznqt8sx.jpg

photo 069_zpsbngryegf.jpg

photo 070_zpssofsri85.jpg

photo 071_zpsmppvmycq.jpg

photo 072_zpsekv5rdnu.jpg

photo 073_zpsilaxyje7.jpg

photo 074_zpsrmxr2hhe.jpg

photo 075_zpshzhrq2c7.jpg

photo 076_zpsepsntbiq.jpg

photo 077_zpsqrxay4pt.jpg

My beautiful lawyer friend...love her briefs! 

photo 078_zpsdrophgeu.jpg

Happy birthday, Bernadette!

photo 080_zpswhadvb2g.jpg

photo 091_zpsjmsnsj11.jpg

photo 092_zps2s16lmer.jpg

photo 093_zpsqhqu0jjn.jpg

photo 094_zps7csxgtdu.jpg

photo 081_zpsbdayypl9.jpg

photo 082_zpsehfyhli7.jpg

photo 083_zpswkfg7bho.jpg

photo 084_zpsejcgs8ik.jpg

photo 085_zpsr4avpyh6.jpg

photo 086_zpsdggoowxf.jpg

photo 088_zpsopdhlt50.jpg

photo 096_zpsvndqrguf.jpg

photo 089_zpsrh7v9jur.jpg

My old friend, Sparky!  I've seen him at several races I've done....after this photo we two dogs went to find a fire hydrant...

photo 090_zpsmtvoawzl.jpg

Way to get a dog to look at the camera...hold a sausage up.. Rocky really wanted that sausage, lol

photo 097_zpswsnyyg0n.jpg

Darn it..forgot to wipe my sweaty lens for these....just pretend you're having one of those 'tv dream' sequences...  

photo 066_zps5rk9u5md.jpg

photo 087_zpsabvrwhxq.jpg

photo 095_zps5gu0cwv1.jpg

photo 098_zps6amzayl0.jpg

EPILOGUE

Kudos to Our Lady of the Lake’s Liz Longoria and all her staff, volunteers, etc.  This was one of the very best inaugural 5Ks I have ever done.  Great course, great race shirts, nice post-race goodies and freebies from sponsors – cookies, banana bread, Alamo Beer, Kiolbassa sausage, little hand towels – I took one of those as much as I sweat, lol, when I run and after I’m done – and much other stuff.  Just had wander all around the post-race area to see/get all this stuff.  The only thing I would suggest to do differently for the next time this event is held is to have volunteers right at the finish, handing out water to the finishers, or have, for example, one of those small wading pools, or some coolers with water in it so runners can just pick a bottle up on the way out of the chute…we runners really are spoiled brats at times, lol, and hate to have to go look for our post-race water.  But really, for this one, there was so much going on, it was not that big a deal…I did not even notice at first, as I was so busy observing all the other stuff.  All in all, a super event, which I will definitely be doing again and definitely recommend to my fellow runners.

MUCHO thanks also to all folks that made this one possible for we participants; the sponsors, the volunteers, the law enforcement/security folks out there for us, Our Lady of the Lake staff and volunteers, iaapweb.com for doing the course setup, timing, results…et al…all the folks who contributed for we participants.     THANK YOU.

And finally.....nice souvenir medal

photo 100_zpsihwsbh4j.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Love the socks!

Looks like a nice course and a pretty campus. Of course you enjoyed it, there was beer!