Beginners and Beyond

Hello (Read 38 times)

I thought that title belonged to the midwest, did we lose it or did I have it wrong?

Well I guess it's a subjective thing. It's kind of big everywhere now, but I think to a large degree the movement took off in the '80s-'90s in the NW before spreading around the country. There are apparently 58 breweries in Portland, OR alone. Of course most of the hops come from Oregon too.  

Dave

Boston was your favorite marathon?

I think mine is still the IMM

Well I guess it depends how you define favorite. I am thinking in terms of overall race experience, irrespective of my actual performance in it. From that standpoint, nothing remotely compares to Boston, especially when taking into account the whole weekend. Granted I have not run many uber-large races. The next biggest was Detroit at ~4000 finishers, then 3 others in the 1000-2000 range, then all the rest <500. I think it's harder to love a small race unless there is something particularly unique or scenic about it. But I've generally picked races to get a job done.

Dave

Detroit is mine. Granted, in terms of variety, I'm pretty lame.

I recommend it to anyone who can get there. It's a pretty unique race experience - the bridge, the tunnel, the portion through Canada, homemade aid stations in Indian Village, etc.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Welcome!

RunningOnSand

Welcome! Sounds like you’ll fit right in. Smile

Cyberic

As a beer lover, I would love to be able to do that! I was enjoying a Lagunitas Willetized Coffee Stout while writing my Hello post. Definitely worth trying if you're into barrel aged stouts.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Funny how I like stouts, as long as they're not barrel aged. So most of the expensive stouts (expensive being relative) I don't like. The taste of wood (oak?) in the stout... bleh. 

sdWhiskers

I thought that title belonged to the midwest, did we lose it or did I have it wrong?

Ummm San Diego? There are over 100 craft breweries within 20 mins of my house.

However one brewery I do miss from my years living in MI is Founders. 

Zuckerberg must be lurking here, because the Founders Brewing page just appeared on my FB news feed.

Dave

LRB

Zuckerberg must be lurking here, because the Founders Brewing page just appeared on my FB news feed.

Yep. I posted a link to some wireless headphones and have been bombarded with ads ever since.