Beginners and Beyond

Hey Sole Train! (Read 355 times)

slowrunningjulie

I am back on track now - ran 8 miles this morning. It was overcast and 70 - perfect.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

You Rang?

I just posted 19 1/2 miles to the running game under the name I posted under at the spam-o-riffic RWOL.  Not bad from the first week back from injury.  My hamstring tendon has healed.  PT is now focusing on the real problem:  weak piriformis muscle.  I love my sports medicine oriented physical therapy practice.

I've got two questions for the team:

1. How do you change your name in the running game?  Am I doomed to be rmgreenesq forever more?

2. For those of you that do speed work:  What exactly do you do?  I was thinking about making Wednesday speed work day as that is the one day I have the least amount of time to devote to running.  Last Wednesday, I just jumped on the treadmill and set the thing to a 10 minute mile and ran for three miles.  My normal easy pace is an 11:30 mm and my last 5k I ran at a 9:10 mm.  Will this work for speed work?  Should I be doing something different?

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

slowrunningjulie

22 miles for me in the game this week.

Rick, I am glad that you are back at it! I don't really know about the user name, but am open to discussion from anyone who might have an opinion.

Upcoming:

runnerMiMi

I am here now as well. I am still posting my miles on the other site. How do I do it here?

slowrunningjulie

Where did everybody go? I can't find our team thread either here or on RWOL. I know you guys are running, because you are posting miles. What's up team?

I have a half marathon this weekend. It is not a goal race, but I am excited because it is one of my favorites. The weather isn't looking so great though - mid 30's to mid 40's with a 40% chance of rain. Sad

Upcoming:

delicate flower

I'm here!  Julie, best of luck with your HM this weekend!  Sorry to hear the weather isn't going to cooperate.

Good luck to Rick as well with the Disney HM!

FYI to the team, I am going on the injured list for a while.  Sorry!

<3

slowrunningjulie

Totally understand Phil. Don't push it - take care of your knee and get back to healthy.

The forecast is getting better - the rain chances are going down and we are at 30% now. Fingers crossed!

Upcoming:

KreegSauceRuns

Hi team!  Sorry for being such a crappy captain.  Thanks to Julie for starting this thread.  I've pretty much sworn off RWOL.  I just don't have time to sit and wait when I click on a link.  It's so slow.

Anyway, things have been down for me.  I got what I thought was a stress fracture in December but later self diagnosed it as a stress reaction.  Either way, I was out of running over the holidays which sucked but I was also dealing with a sick wife and daughter so I think it all worked out as I was able to do the right thing and take care of them instead of wondering when I was going to get out for a run.

The new year has started off ok.  I am slowly getting back to running.  A few every other day during the week and today I actually did 13.2 on the trails in 3 hours.  It was nice to 'be back'.

I am registered for a 100k next Saturday but obviously I don't think I'll be able to run it all.  Too late to withdraw and get a refund so I'll go get my shirt and run a few laps.  It's a 4.47 mile trial loop that we do 14 times so I can drop whenever.  I'm just looking to get in a good long run.

I signed up for my goal race of the year:  the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100.  Yep.  100 miles.  It's in May and the main reason I signed up for it (aside from wanting to do 100 miles) is the fact that I have this 100k next weekend, trail marathon in Feb., and a 50 miler in April so I have some good 'long runs' that lead up to it.  Hopefully I can stay injury free leading up to it though!

Hope everyone is well and had a good Christmas/New Year.

Phil:  sorry to hear about your knee.  That's a bummer.  Hope it heals quickly.

Rick:  I think the names are based off your RWOL screen names.  Not sure if you can change it but I guess you could PM Bob or APlodder and ask them since they are mods.

RunnerMiMi:  you don't have to post any miles here on this site.  Just keep posting them on the 'huenix' site as you always have.  This is just a new place for us to 'hang out'.

Julie:  good luck in the half marathon!!!

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

KreegSauceRuns

Hi team!  Sorry for being such a crappy captain.  Thanks to Julie for starting this thread.  I've pretty much sworn off RWOL.  I just don't have time to sit and wait when I click on a link.  It's so slow.

Anyway, things have been down for me.  I got what I thought was a stress fracture in December but later self diagnosed it as a stress reaction.  Either way, I was out of running over the holidays which sucked but I was also dealing with a sick wife and daughter so I think it all worked out as I was able to do the right thing and take care of them instead of wondering when I was going to get out for a run.

The new year has started off ok.  I am slowly getting back to running.  A few every other day during the week and today I actually did 13.2 on the trails in 3 hours.  It was nice to 'be back'.

I am registered for a 100k next Saturday but obviously I don't think I'll be able to run it all.  Too late to withdraw and get a refund so I'll go get my shirt and run a few laps.  It's a 4.47 mile trial loop that we do 14 times so I can drop whenever.  I'm just looking to get in a good long run.

I signed up for my goal race of the year:  the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100.  Yep.  100 miles.  It's in May and the main reason I signed up for it (aside from wanting to do 100 miles) is the fact that I have this 100k next weekend, trail marathon in Feb., and a 50 miler in April so I have some good 'long runs' that lead up to it.  Hopefully I can stay injury free leading up to it though!

Rick:  I think the names are based off your RWOL screen names.  Not sure if you can change it but I guess you could PM Bob or APlodder and ask them since they are mods.

RunnerMiMi:  you don't have to post any miles here on this site.  Just keep posting them on the 'huenix' site as you always have.  This is just a new place for us to 'hang out'.

KreegSauceRuns

KreegSauceRuns

Forgive me for posting THREE times!?!!!!  For some stupid reason the site made me 'verify my email' when I tried to submit it.  Oh well.  I guess I did it too many times.

slowrunningjulie

No worries Nathan - it's good to see you back. I am sorry you have been injured, but totally get what you mean about it kind of being a good thing because of family. Achieving the balance is a continual struggle. I don't think that many of us are on RWOL anymore - I go over there every so often just to look, and it's pretty quiet. I post mostly on a couple of the FB groups that have sprung up and here.

I was going to run 3 today, but it is warm, humid and rainy and I have a half marathon tomorrow. Plus I made the mistake of taking the kids to McDonalds for lunch since we couldn't go outside because of the rain and now I am suffering from "McSickness."I think I am going to blow it off in the name of "tapering." I definitely am not gonna make the Olympic team now. Roll eyes

Upcoming:

You Rang?

I have not visited RWOL since November.  Its a shadow of its former self which is a shame.  They are a victim of their own Search Engine Optimization.  They attract so much traffic because of their SEO, that attracts the spam.  Rodale's unwillingness to devote more human power  (paid or volunteer) to the spam problem caused the user rebellion and defection to RA.

I'm packing my bag and headed home from Walt Disney World this morning.  I ran the Half Marathon and posted a race report.  I think I did quite well given that I ran the race moderately hard so I could continue the family vacation.  The race report is up.

Now comes the boring part of the training cycle.  My next half marathon is in September.  I've got a HM that I'm walking with my wife in three weeks.  That will be more psychologically challenging than physically challenging, and a 5k race in March.  That's all I got.  Just a long slow training grind.

Have a good week everybody!

Rick 

slowrunningjulie

Rick, I think that your HM with your wife will be fun as long as you look at it as just a nice way to spend some time together. That's what I did with my HM this weekend. I ran it with a friend of mine who is seriously undertrained, in part because she has been having a tough time with some personal issues lately. We took it slow and easy and talked a lot. I haven't checked, but I am pretty sure that my time is a PW. And I couldn't care less - I had fun and I think I gave a boost to a friend at a time when she really needed one. That's one of the great things about running - you can adapt it to the moment.

Upcoming:

You Rang?

Thanks for your thoughts Julie.  With the exception of wearing a bib and getting a finishers medal and beer at the end, I hadn't really considered the Surf CIty HM to be a race.  I'm walking it.  I my wear my garmin.  I may not.  The maddening part is that my wife will be setting the pace.  I naturally walk faster than she does.  That will be the tough part.

Rick