Beginners and Beyond

Lessons Learned, PRs Earned.... Right? (Read 63 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

During your intervals you take recovery breaks (either complete rest, walk, or easy jog)?

If so then I'd totally through that PR bullshit that Garmin is feeding you into the crapper where it belongs.

You can but I only slow down to about a 9 mm pace during those breaks.

In other words, I'm probably doing intervals incorrectly......

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You can but I only slow down to about a 9 mm pace during those breaks.

In other words, I'm probably doing intervals incorrectly......

Not necessarily. Your recovery pace can be anywhere from your easy pace to a walk or even timed rest interval.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

It does make sense.

In the watch's internal history it was the first time you ran 10 consecutive Ks in that time. No extrapolation there. It will not give you a 10K best time if you only ran 8K. That would not make sense.

It will even add onto the intervals to make them the requisite distance.

The whole "New Record" thing with Garmin is silly though because A; you're not actually racing and B; the run usually includes stops or recoveries. Calling it a training record would probably be more appropriate.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The whole "New Record" thing with Garmin is silly though because A; you're not actually racing and B; the run usually includes stops or recoveries. Calling it a training record would probably be more appropriate.

True, but it definitely gives me a good idea on possible PRs and how hard I might be able to push on race dsy.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

delicate flower

Nice run, FreeSoul!  Your Garmin track looks pretty impressive going around the oval.  I've usually got one or two lines that go right through the infield or loop way the hell out across the street.

I PR'd the 10K in a training run.  While I don't personally count that as a PR, it was still a confidence boost for things to come.  I suck at track workouts and my recoveries are always too hard, so I can't really comment on any of that.  And I just manually lap those workouts.

<3

Cyberic

I don't understand that point.

The way I see it, let's say I ran 3 times 1K intervals with 1K easy in between and a 1K W/U and a 1K C/D

1K W/U -> 6 minutes

1K Interval -> 4 minutes

1K jog -> 5:30 minutes

1K Interval -> 4 minutes

1K jog -> 5:30 minutes

1K Interval -> 4 minutes

1K C/D -> 6 minutes

4 + 5:30 + 4 + 5:30 + 4 = 23 minutes. That might be the fastest the watch has ever recorded you running 5 consecutive Ks. That feature ignores laps, just consecutive distance. At least, that's the way I understand it.

If it does what you think it does (add onto the intervals to make them the requisite distance), then it is all bogus. But I don't think it does that.

MTA: Of course, if you stop the watch to take breaks, the watch works with what it knows, and that is the distance it recorded and ignores the distance/time that happened while it was stopped (or paused), so you could "cheat" a PR by running fast, pausing the watch and rest, then unpause it and run fast again... repeat until you beat all your PRs

LRB

I don't understand that point.

You said what I said; it adds the recoveries to the intervals to arrive at the total.

That is not always the case however, say if you ran 8 consecutive at MP, it would tally the fastest 6.2 miles out of those and tag it as a 10k record (or a mile or 5k record if applicable).  So there are cases where it's actually a straight shot run without breaks. Whether one considers that a legitimate PR or not is subject to individual preference.

Cyberic

You said what I said; it adds the recoveries to the intervals to arrive at the total.

That is not always the case however, say if you ran 8 consecutive at MP, it would tally the fastest 6.2 miles out of those and tag it as a 10k record (or a mile or 5k record if applicable).  So there are cases where it's actually a straight shot run without breaks. Whether one considers that a legitimate PR or not is subject to individual preference.

Ok, as long as you actually RAN the recoveries. I thought you were saying it was making that distance up, or something.

I just ignore those watch "PRs", but they are legit because I ran them.

Interesting article form Steve Magness on VO2Max workouts

http://scienceofrunning.com/2009/08/do-we-need-vo2max-workouts.html

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Are you saying ignoring the slow laps or miles? Or it picks the fastest 6.2 miles ran consecutively together, or one lap after another totalling a distance of 6.2 or other "official" race distance?

PRs

LRB

Are you saying ignoring the slow laps or miles? Or it picks the fastest 6.2 miles ran consecutively together, or one lap after another totalling a distance of 6.2 or other "official" race distance?

Go race, will ya. 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Go race, will ya. 

Unfortunately for you all, the race is still two weeks from this Saturday 

PRs