Beginners and Beyond

Question about Pain Tolerance (Read 75 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Andrea, are you sure doing the marathon is a good idea at this point? What has your weekly mileage been like for the last 4-5 weeks and how much do you realistically hope to be able to run in the remaining 6 weeks before taper?

Last four weeks have sucked, and I don't know what to expect out of the next 6 weeks but I am not giving up on the IMM until that very week. At that point I will ask myself a very serious question, but at this point I am determined to do it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Last four weeks have sucked, and I don't know what to expect out of the next 6 weeks but I am not giving up on the IMM until that very week. At that point I will ask myself a very serious question, but at this point I am determined to do it.

If I'm not wrong, you have an average of 26 mpw over the last 5 weeks. You will have to be careful to not ramp up too rapidly once you get better. That won't give you a very big average overall. Be careful to not get yourself injured more during the race.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

If I'm not wrong, you have an average of 26 mpw over the last 5 weeks. You will have to be careful to not ramp up too rapidly once you get better. That won't give you a very big average overall. Be careful to not get yourself injured more during the race.

It's all about expectations. I would not race a marathon on 30 MPW, but some people do and do well, given their expectations are in line with their training.

happylily

It's all about expectations. I would not race a marathon on 30 MPW, but some people do and do well, given their expectations are in line with their training.

Yes, that's true.

Hopefully Andrea will be 100% healthy on race day. I wouldn't want to do 26.2 miles on low mileage, WITH an injury...

Hopefully Andrea will be 100% healthy on race day. I wouldn't want to do 26.2 miles on low mileage, WITH an injury...

Certainly the mileage is less concern than the injury. With that kind of base, and if paced slowly enough, you can run a marathon. But with an injury you significantly risk making it a lot worse, potentially setting you back for a long time afterwards. NTIWKAAT.

Dave

happylily

Certainly the mileage is less concern than the injury. With that kind of base, and if paced slowly enough, you can run a marathon. But with an injury you significantly risk making it a lot worse, potentially setting you back for a long time afterwards. NTIWKAAT.

Yes, that's what I meant.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If I wasn't in the tub soaking, I would look that abbreviation up dang it. Edit: I figured it out.

I agree with all points made. I want to be 100% healthy come race day, no pain before the race and during the final days before it other than the Phantom pains. .. I have not had good mileage in the last 5 weeks, had I went straight to an MT the first week abd taken a few days off, this might have been cut to 2 or 3 weeks instead of 5. Sadly I don't expect to get up to the high 40's range over the next 6 weeks though it all depends on the next few days and next week but I don't see any mileage up in the 50 range for this training.

I also don't expect to finish under my last or first marathon time, especially if I walk any. My biggest goal now is make it to the 20-21 mile mark where I will see my hubby, I got one 18 miler in and felt great the following week after and I still feel confident that I can at least reach 20 miles (as long as I am 100% healthy at start).

I just hope and freaking pray I don't have stomach issues again, that's my biggest fear if I can start the race  pain is inevitable,  but damn it I don't want stomach issues! 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

onemile

There's always the option to switch to the half.

hog4life

I run a half with a sprained ankle. It was stupid, couldn't walk the next day! The groin area was extremely difficult after my hernia surgery, but only when I tried speed work.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Well, I am trying not to get my hopes up, but I took Dorian for a 4 mile run this evening and this is how it went....

And so far I am not feeling sore whatsoever, not even a little bit.

PRs