Beginners and Beyond

PengWednesDAILY (Read 14 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning.  Back from long DW BDay weekend in Charleston. Took the girls and SIL, so lots of eating/drinking/walking, not much running.  Now have 2 weeks to get ready for first of 3 HM's.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  2 more proposals, 3 more days.  I think I'll make it!  Plus samples, and it's supposed to be a beautiful day, so a walk after lunch and a short bike ride this evening, to remind myself how to do that. 

Jerryb -- sounds like a great weekend in Charleston!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, sounds like a great weekend; I hope it's not too hard to get back into training mode.

Hopesmom, enjoy the lovely weather!

Ginny, about my races: some fun stuff coming up!

1. Fontana Days HM on 6/4 (advertises itself as the fastest HM in the country; a point-to-point downhill race, hoping for a nice PR)

2. Independence Day 5k - dh signed up with me!

3. Surf City 10 Miler on 10/16

4. Revel Canyon Marathon on 11/12!  A local point-to-point downhill race; lots of my club mates have PRed or even BQed on this course in the last 2 years.  The November weather should be fine (small chance of rain, worst case is that we have a wind event).  And the Revel organizers are the best - if my training doesn't go as planned, I can transfer my registration to someone else, or drop to the HM for a small fee.  It's 7 months away, but I'm feeling optimistic that it will give me a marathon experience that might be only half-awful instead of completely awful. Smile

Those are just the 4 I registered for this weekend - also have HMs in August & September.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Wow glad to hear you've got your mojo back.  I'm signed up for a lot of races but I really have zero mojo. :-(  I'm going to try to do a little run today at least.  I think that I just need a coach or accountability partner to crack the whip.  I know how to work really hard when I'm motivated, but when I am not I'm just about the laziest person on the planet :-P

Good morning Penguins!

Jerry, sounds like a great weekend; I hope it's not too hard to get back into training mode.

Hopesmom, enjoy the lovely weather!

Ginny, about my races: some fun stuff coming up!

1. Fontana Days HM on 6/4 (advertises itself as the fastest HM in the country; a point-to-point downhill race, hoping for a nice PR)

2. Independence Day 5k - dh signed up with me!

3. Surf City 10 Miler on 10/16

4. Revel Canyon Marathon on 11/12!  A local point-to-point downhill race; lots of my club mates have PRed or even BQed on this course in the last 2 years.  The November weather should be fine (small chance of rain, worst case is that we have a wind event).  And the Revel organizers are the best - if my training doesn't go as planned, I can transfer my registration to someone else, or drop to the HM for a small fee.  It's 7 months away, but I'm feeling optimistic that it will give me a marathon experience that might be only half-awful instead of completely awful. Smile

Those are just the 4 I registered for this weekend - also have HMs in August & September.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, it's a pretty day out there!  Still just a little cool, but not too bad.  Walk done!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 easy miles done.  Never warmed up much and it was chilly hot most of the run.    I really need to get a 10 mile LR in this weekend with the Illinois HM 2 weeks away.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - sounds like a lovely getaway.  How is your wife's ITB?  Is she able to run at all? Can she bike while you do your long runs?

HopesMom - I hope you enjoyed your chilly walk and bike ride.

Allison - that's an ambitious schedule.  Looks like fun.  Practice the downhills a lot, because even though it's easy to run down, it puts a lot of pressure on the quads.

Jill - are you doing the 9 +1 races again this year?

AFM:  It was a beautiful day, so I talked Jim into going to the state forest for a short hike on a trail we haven't done before around a reservoir.  It was lovely.