Beginners and Beyond

Do you guys do these? January miles? (Read 46 times)

The 3 of us should meet up for happy hour!

OMG, someone would probably need to haul us out with a wheelbarrow!!  But think about all the fun we'd have!

Me too!!!  I love FB, although I go neat, no ice.  (Pickleback using FB and spicy pickle brine is the shiz.)

I've never heard of this...you mix it with pickle brine??

Cyberic

Ha, when I did my 80, I didn't actually decide I was going to focus on a big week until Wednesday. I went back to look at the week (June 2015).

M - 10

T - 10 w/4x1200 

W - 8 AM / 4 PM

Th - 9 AM / 4 PM

F - 9 AM / beers PM

S - 10 AM / 4 PM

S - 12 (not much of a LR, but by then I was toast).

It made me think, hmm, I could probably do a hundo, that would be cool. But I no longer have the tiniest bit of interest in that kind of thing.

My previous 80 was during Boston prep.

Monday: 8 miles. Freezing rain. Yaktrax

Tuesday: 11.5 with 4 x (1 mile T/ 1 min jog)

Wednesday: 10 in snow FFS

Thursday: 12 with  4 + 3 @ MP-15

Friday: 8

Saturday: 12.75

Sunday: 17 with 9@MP

In reality it adds up to 80 miles, but all was run in KMs and I'm posting a quick conversion.

It was during a week off work. I always run more when I'm not working.

It was during a week off work. I always run more when I'm not working.

So, mine was actually during the time when I had moved to Seattle to start my job here, but my family was still back in Michigan. That's pretty much what made all the doubles possible. Anyway, I've done a lot tougher weeks in the 70+ range. Like this one last September:

M - 4

T - 10 w/strides

W - 14

Th - 5

F - 11 w/6 prog MP to tempo

S - 6

S - 22

Total: 73

Having those 4-6 mile easies sprinkled in makes all the difference in the world in being able to get through those kinds of weeks.

Dave

Italiana626

The Latecomer

158.9 for January, quite a bit fewer than December. Weather, HM, blah blah blah. It's cool - a year ago I wouldn't have dreamed that 158 would be a cutback.

As for Fireball - that's the inexpensive shot in the local bar, the one that everyone buys for everyone, and even the bartenders sometimes do a round for the house. Had a few too many of those shots, a few too many times, and now I have no further need for Fireball.

Coastal

I'm gonna have to try fireball.  Never had it.  How did I miss out?

100 for the month.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Me too!!!  I love FB, although I go neat, no ice.  (Pickleback using FB and spicy pickle brine is the shiz.)

Ditto on nurunner's question.  The only pickleback I've had was Jamison's with pickle juice.  But what' you're describing is a whole new level. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Ditto on nurunner's question.  The only pickleback I've had was Jamison's with pickle juice.  But what' you're describing is a whole new level. 

EXACTLY the same concept Bert.  I heard about picklebacks on the radio, and immediately (as a lover of almost any version of dill pickle) had to try one.  The only whiskeys I had in the house were Blue Label and Fireball, and no way was I using BL for novelty shots.  I had a jar of habenero pickles that was mostly gone, so I figured it would go nicely.

I made one just to try, hubs was intrigued and had to try as well.  Immediately, we had another two each , they were so good, lol.

Nurunner, the basic idea is you do a shot of whiskey (any kind), and then a shot of dill pickle juice as a chaser.  The flavor combo (assuming you like pickles) is pretty yummy.  If you don't like pickles, then not so much.

Nurunner, the basic idea is you do a shot of whiskey (any kind), and then a shot of dill pickle juice as a chaser.  The flavor combo (assuming you like pickles) is pretty yummy.  If you don't like pickles, then not so much.

Oh wow, I DO like pickles!  This is going on my to-do list...thanks, I think! 

That sounds pretty disgusting.

There is a guy who shows up at the Grand Rapids Marathon every year handing out cups of pickle juice. Packed with electrolytes, right?? When I ran it, I did not partake. I figure it's one of those things that if you didn't train with it, best not to start during a marathon. Same reason that at the Newport, Oregon Marathon, I did not partake in the oyster shooters. 

Dave