Beginners and Beyond

Thus does 2:59:59 disappear from my fall agenda (Read 189 times)

tracilynn

I'm so sorry about your injury. Maybe you will surprise yourself with a big PR anyway.  Maybe you will be even faster come Feb after the chiro works on your leg length discrepancy.  I've been on flexiril for neck stuff before and it made me soooo drowsy.   I'm also shocked to hear that men actually fold clothes.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Aw, sorry to hear it, LTH.

Do you have any glimmer of hope that the sub 3 might still happen?  If you're in the shape to do it now, would an unscheduled but extended and abrupt taper definitely rule it out?

If there's no way, you can get it this spring.  Stay strong.

Jess runs for bacon

Ok, this totally blows but I can't stop giggling that Elmo derailed your plans.

Here's hoping you bounce back fast and get your 2:59 sooner rather than later.

hog4life

Well that just sucks, I hope you heal up quickly.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I'll echo what Jay says above.  I too have struggled with back pain at times, due to an unfortunate lift I made 25 years ago.  For me anti-inflamatories and some rest let the condition subside.  Also irregular limb length is rather common.  Studies have shown nearly 32% of military recruits have a differnce of between 1/5 to 3/5 of an inch in leg length.  Be careful of what your Chiro says.

You often will counsel us in harse terms, time to get it back.  Get a 2nd opinion, 9mm is only 1/3 of an inch, another doctor could measure you with less of a difference.  Why is this now a problem after 5 years of running and over 10,000 miles.  I am suspicious of his leg length issue (problems = monies to him).

Secondly, you have in the past said the hay is in the barn.  Just read SIAR's Chicago report, he didn't think he could go sub 2:50 and didn't hit what he thought were the required training steps.  Well the results stand.

Rest, modify your taper, I bet in 10 days you will feel fresh, you can do a little speed work to keep sharp, and who knows.  I do not like that you changed your goal in your sig to Spring 2013 - like you are already admiting defeat.  Soldier, get back to your post, and thats an order.

LRB

Get a 2nd opinion, 9mm is only 1/3 of an inch, another doctor could measure you with less of a difference.  Why is this now a problem after 5 years of running and over 10,000 miles.

One of my legs is almost a half inch longer than the other (or one leg is almost a half inch shorter than the other depending on who you ask) and I was told two things; one, either the body adapts over time or two, the damage is cumulative.

So you are probably right that it is much ado about nothing, but it is something that at a minimum, needs to be ruled out.

B-Plus

Crap, sorry to hear about that. It's good that you are realistic and adaptable with your goals. Retool and get it in the spring.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Hmmmm......I knew as soon as I read the title!  (sigh)  Although, I figured it was going to be your hamstring.  (Is that what your piriformis turned out to be?)

I, too, am wallowing in sadness with my knee, though admittedly, today it feels better than it's ever felt.  And that after a weekend worth of grueling yard work.  And as Zelanie will be quick to point out, I was feeling almost like my running days must be over cuz I can't imagine my knee feeling any better.

Speaking of NFL, it's been a KNEE FEST in that hizzy!!!  I can't even name all the knees in the last 2 weeks that have gotten jacked.  As for back.......My daughter just threw out her back.....BAD!!  3 days later, she's moving around pretty well & even went to school today....(impossible 3 days ago).

I would've loved to see you do 2:59 but I think it's still within your reach for a few years.

Injuries SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I wouldn't write off the race just yet. Three weeks is a lot of time and you'd be tapering anyway. You fitness isn't the question, but whether you can run pain free and not do any damage. Take it day by day as the healing progresses.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

workinprogress11

I wouldn't write off the race just yet. Three weeks is a lot of time and you'd be tapering anyway. You fitness isn't the question, but whether you can run pain free and not do any damage. Take it day by day as the healing progresses.

^This.  I am sorry it's even something you have to deal with, though.  Anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers can work wonders and you may be better sooner than you think. Whatever happens, I wish you the best.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Ugg.

Sucks hardcore.

Docket_Rocket

D, I had already been going to physical therapy for the piriformis issue and it had improved to a tolerable level.  The chiro took an x-ray of my back and the discs looked good.  In fact, he said they looked remarkably good for someone my age who puts in the kind of mileage I do.  What I have strained is some muscle very deep in my lower back.  Damned if I can remember what he said.  I'm going back tomorrow for deep tissue massage so I'll make sure I ask.

Ouch!  Again, hope the massage and treatment work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers can work wonders and you may be better sooner than you think. Whatever happens, I wish you the best.

But METH is where it's at!!!

Randy

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Was the muscle the quadratus lumbormu by any chance? Years ago I was on flexeril - it's a muscle relaxant, but I don't remember if it had side effects on me.

Anyway, it sounds like your medical team is on top of this. Since you were entering your taper, maybe the goal is still attainable - you will still have it in you, you just have to dig deeper.

Good luck with your treatment.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

sheepla

Thanks for your last sentence.  My first thought was "How can he be writing about this injury and not whining?"