Beginners and Beyond

Yak Trax ? (Read 375 times)

Robert31320

Team TJ

What is this "snow" stuff you speak of?  Cool

Running for TJ because he can't.

Meat Wagon

Puker

1/4" hex head sheet metal screws work the best for me. Most of the roads by me are never plowed all the way down to the pavement, so I'm always running on ice or snowpack. You just have to experiment with the placement of the screws until they give you the best grip and comfort.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

StepbyStep-SH

I have used spikes similar to those Susie posted, but only if my route will mostly snow/ice covered (more snow than ice) as the "click, click, click" on dry pavement is annoying.

As far as what works best in really icy conditions? Staying home. I agree with scrape - sometimes it is much better to just skip a run than risk injury. I tweaked a muscle in my neck, of all places, a week ago when I slipped a bit and reacted quickly to stay upright. It wasn't even that slippery that day - just happened to hit one spot of ice less than a half-mile from the end of a 9-mile run.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

If you use Nike shoes then their waffle pattern is pretty decent for traction.  You can always screw your shoes as well.

Just use 1/2" or shorter sheet metal screws.  But I don't recommend walking in the house with them unless you wanted to replace your flooring anyways.

runmomto3boys

You guys rock!  Thanks for all the tips and advice.  I feel like I have a better idea now on how to handle the snow/ice (and when to pull the plug on a run too).  Thanks bunches!

Heard that you weren't feeling well.  Glad to see you here and hope that you are feeling better.  Get well soon.

Thanks very much.  Smile  I am still not well enough to run (especially in the snow that is coming - hitting my head would be really bad right now!), but hopefully soon.

Ghettopops

This is winter #3 for me here in MN running . I have always just used same shoes, nothing special. Our River and Lake Paths are actually some of the first things they clear around here. Some of the neighborhoods are pretty bad about it though. I actually just picked up this morning a pair of Nike Free Trails, all black Smile from Finish line shoes. Originally $110 got them for $64.99. They have very good traction on bottom, for trail looks to be good for snow to, but I just got them cause they were Pretty and Cheap. Yah I'm that kind of guy.Anywhos, Head just slow down and enjoy the snow. I will take a 30° fresh snow day over a hot summer day every time .
                runmomto3boys

Thanks very much.  Smile  I am still not well enough to run (especially in the snow that is coming - hitting my head would be really bad right now!), but hopefully soon.

I've been thinking of you, Jenny.  I am glad you are hopeful that you will be able to be back out and running again soon and - more importantly - that you are healthy.  You've been through way too much in your young life.  Smooch!

Thanks, guys!   I appreciate all the feedback.  That's helpful!

Great, thanks AKTrail!  I bought those microspikes on your recommendation awhile back.  I can't wait to test them out once we get a base here. Those are not good for running on ice, though?  I should use screw shoes when it is really icy out?

Mandy: OMG - you weren't joking.  I thought you were! 

No, I wouldn't use microspikes on hard ice, although I haven't actually tried - points aren't sharp enough and probably rotate. Weapon of choice for me on ice is studs similar to what tundrasusie pictured - more pounds/sq in than with screws to dig into ice. These are readily available in the $10-$20 range, even in many grocery stores (great for icy parking lots).

Screws are a good all-purpose solution. I used to use those a lot when I ran mostly in just a couple pair of shoes. I rotate through so many pairs these days (can't find a model I really like) that I prefer a strap-on solution. I frequently go shopping on my way home, but don't change shoes until I get home. With a strap-on traction, I can take them off before entering the store. I can also carry studs or microspikes on my waist belt so I can use them if conditions change.

RE: Snowshoe running. Yes, there are even national and international championships - 2005 SS Nationals were held in Anchorage.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                    runmomto3boys

AK Trail: As usual, you are so incredibly helpful.  Thanks a bunch. 

I've been thinking of you, Jenny.  I am glad you are hopeful that you will be able to be back out and running again soon and - more importantly - that you are healthy.  You've been through way too much in your young life.  Smooch!

Thanks very much.  Hopefully getting there.  Smile  I need to get better so I can train for Big Sur!

Do listen to AKTrail - she knows all about snow, ice, and other cold things.  Cool

runmomto3boys

Thanks very much.  Hopefully getting there.  Smile  I need to get better so I can train for Big Sur!

Do listen to AKTrail - she knows all about snow, ice, and other cold things.  Cool

Eeeekkkk -  you are running it this Spring?!?!  Yes, you need to get better.  I'm so excited for you.  I know how much you love that race from your posts on RW where you mention it.  Yay!!!  I look forward to cheering you on as you train!

adkkev

TundraSusie too ... it's a bit colder at her house than at AKTrail's I think.  Especially the past few days. 

Big grin

TundraSusie too ... it's a bit colder at her house than at AKTrail's I think.  Especially the past few days. 

Big grin

Yep. Usually, close to 20-40 deg colder in Fairbanks (interior) than in southcentral (more coastal).

But we got the wind. +18F, 40+mph wind, about -3F windchill here. (We were -6F and calm during yesterday's run, and that's what we've been having until wind hit last night.)  -35F in Fairbanks.

I'm headed to one of the less windswept trails today. Wink

I'm not training for a winter race right now or I'd head to the windy or coldest spot. (I'm passing on a HM on Sat, where they've been having -35F temps - about 1 hr from me.) Today I'll find somewhat sheltered trail, partway up the hillside to take advantage of temperature inversion. (also closer to me than where I was going to run)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                              paulski66

miscreant

What conditions are ideal for wearing Yak Trax?  Lots of snow cover, right?  Tomorrow we are going to be getting 3-6" during my run.  So do you think I should wear the Yax Trax for that run so I have better traction?   I have spikes too, but I think you wear those more for icy conditions, right?

Get a good pair of trail shoes. And watch out for slick patches...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...